This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Butternut Squash Pork Burritos are so filling and tasty! With spicy, tender pork, creamy squash and unique fixings, this unexpected combo will change the way you think about regular burritos!
Butternut Squash Pork Burritos
These Butternut Squash Pork Burritos combine such a delicious combination of flavors! The sweetness of the butternut squash balances out the heat of the spiced pork, and the crumbly cojita cheese lends a salty bite that just makes everything blend so well together. We got our inspiration for this recipe from one of our favorite restaurants in Boise, Bardenay. They have a butternut squash and black bean wrap that is to die for! So we just played around with ingredients based on that delicious wrap and came up with this! Adding grilled pork gives a healthy boost of lean protein and cooling the whole thing down with avocado sour cream takes it to a whole other level. Plus they’re easy to make! Treat your family to these tasty burritos tonight!
Suggestions for this Recipe
- Peeling a butternut squash can be quite time consuming and tricky, so you can just buy pre-cubed squash at the grocery store.
- Seasoning your pork with simple taco seasoning and paprika will give it a smoky, spicy flavor.
- You can grill the pork outside or on a stove top grill or bake in the oven until just barely cooked, not pink but still tender.
- Give your pork a chance to rest before slicing into bite size pieces. This gives the meat a chance to redistribute its juices so every bite is tender and juicy.
- If you’re cutting down on carbs, make this recipe by tossing all the ingredients in a bowl and ditch the tortillas. So delicious!
- If you’ve never tried cojita cheese, give it a try! It is creamy, salty, a nice little tangy bite that adds so much flavor to this recipe. You can find it at your regular grocery store.
What to Serve with Pork Burritos
These Butternut Squash Pork Burritos make a delicious meal all on their own, but you can add any of these sides for a true feast!
- Restaurant Style Mexican Rice
- Nacho Libre Corn on the Cob
- Sweet Corn Cakes (Tamalitos)
- Best Guacamole Ever
- Spicy Shrimp Tacos
- Grilled Carne Asada
How to Make Butternut Squash Pork Burritos
Butternut Squash Pork Burritos
- Outdoor BBQ Grill
For the butternut squash:
- Bring pork loin to room temperature. Mix together the taco seasoning and paprika and rub all over the pork loin. Grill over medium heat until center is barely cooked but still tender. Let it sit for a few minutes off the grill, then sliced into bite size pieces.
- In a large fry pan, melt the butter over medium heat and stir in the chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Then add the butternut squash and toss to coat. When the squash begins to soften, add the drained and rinsed black beans. Cook together until squash is fork tender.
- Remove avocado from pit and shell into a medium size bowl. Add sour cream and lime juice. Blend with a hand mixer until creamy.
- Take a flour tortilla and top with a line down the center of butternut squash and black beans, then add pieces of the grilled pork loin. Top that with crumbled cojita cheese, mango salsa, and avocado sour cream. Fold the tortilla over the fillings.