This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This Spicy Shrimp Taco Recipe makes the best meal or snack. Tender bite-size shrimp, crunchy cabbage, and spicy sauce come together in just minutes and disappear even faster!
Featured with this recipe
This spicy shrimp taco recipe is in the permanent recipe rotation at my house. They are so easy to throw together on a busy weeknight or as an after-school snack for my children, and my husband asks for them all the time. The plump shrimp cooks up in no time, and my family can add any toppings they like.
Shrimp is not always everyone’s favorite but making them into tacos helps with the texture and makes shrimp even better! If your kids are squeamish about seafood, I suggest you start with these shrimp tacos. They’ll love the mild taste of the shrimp. They’re versatile, fast, and oh-so-yummy!
Easy Shrimp Taco Ingredients
Shrimp tacos are so easy to make and come together in no time! Shrimp is a decadent choice that is so simple and has an amazing taste and texture. Combine it with seasoning, cabbage, and all the toppings, all wrapped in tortillas making this a family favorite dinner!
- Olive oil – Cook the shrimp in a hot skillet with oil. This will give the shrimp that pretty pink/opaque coloring.
- Shrimp – Use small to medium shrimp that is uncooked, deveined, peeled, and tails removed. You can often buy these in the frozen seafood section of your grocery store.
- Cajun seasoning – This adds a little heat to the shrimp but cooks into the shrimp leaving it a sweet and savory flavor.
- Corn tortillas – For an extra added touch, place the corn tortillas in a skillet over medium-high heat and warm them up for a special dinner.
- Cabbage – It is easiest to use pre-shredded cabbage. This just makes it even easier! The cabbage gives it a light and tasty appeal and helps reduce the flavor of heat that is added in. It is like a slaw!
- Sriracha – Another add-in of spices. This is very warm and can be used as an option if there are family and friends that don’t do well with spice.
- Cilantro – Garnish on top leaving extra color and leafy greens!
- Limes – Squeeze fresh lime juice over top of the tacos. The lime zest balances the ingredients together and helps it stay refreshing.
How to Make Spicy Shrimp Tacos in 10 Minutes
Make your taco Tuesday even better with these easy shrimp tacos! These are so simple to cook then layer the tacos. Within ten minutes you can have your favorite dinner ready to enjoy!
- Prepare shrimp – Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. While the oil is heating, place the shrimp in a bowl and toss it with Cajun seasoning.
- Cook shrimp – When the oil is hot, add a single layer of shrimp. Cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side or until shrimp is pink, opaque, and cooked through.
- Layer – Place shredded cabbage on tortillas and top with cooked shrimp, creamy Sriracha, and cilantro. Serve with sliced limes.
Tips for Making the Best Shrimp Tacos
Make dinner even easier and taste the best with this easy shrimp tacos recipe! Start cooking the shrimp and making these tacos as soon as you can. Substitute, modify, and make these shrimp tacos even better with the tips and ingredients that are best for you and your family!
- Tortillas – Use flour tortillas, GF tortillas, or a lettuce wrap to make these tacos just the way you like them!
- Soften your tortillas – You can do this by heating them in a pan or by wrapping them in a damp paper towel and microwaving them for 10-15 seconds. I prefer heating them in the pan I am using to cook shrimp. I heat the tortillas up before adding the oil.
- Shrimp – If you buy frozen shrimp, just be sure to thaw before cooking (this may add an extra 2-3 minutes of time). Always be sure to rinse your shrimp and pat it dry before using.
- Cooking shrimp – Add the shrimp to the pan and only turn them once. No need to stir them around– you want them to be evenly cooked and the best way to do this is by cooking them for a minute or two on each side.
- Spicy shrimp – If you can’t get enough spice, always add chili powder, cayenne pepper, or jalapeños.
Toppings to Add
The beauty of these shrimp tacos is how much you can dress them up or down, depending on your mood or your family’s picky tenancies. Lay out a spread of toppings for everyone to choose from and see all their creations come to life!
- Coleslaw – Make homemade coleslaw or buy the pre-shredded cabbage from the store to save on time.
- Cheese – Choose from a list of shredded cheese that is delicious and melts slightly on the warm shrimp. Queso fresco (or cotija cheese) is usually our go-to. Try Mexican blend, cheddar cheese, or Monterey jack cheese.
- Avocado – Use avocado to make fresh homemade guacamole to spread or slice avocados for a delicious bite.
- Vegetables – Canned corn, black beans, fresh onions chopped, and any of your favorite vegetables to add to this taco.
- Fruit – Pineapple and mango cut and sliced to add to the top of the easy shrimp tacos. This gives it a light and refreshing and fruity flavor with lots of fun colors.
Seasonings to Use for Tacos with Shrimp
Since shrimp has such a mild flavor, I love to kick up the heat in this recipe with Cajun or Creole seasoning. I use Tony Chachere’s seasoning because I think it has tremendous flavor and just the right amount of heat. But regular taco seasoning tastes delicious too if that’s what you have on hand.
Homemade Seafood Taco Sauce
For the sake of ease, I use creamy Sriracha from the grocery store. If you don’t have any that is pre-made on hand it is super easy to make! Just combine about ⅓ cup mayonnaise with as much Sriracha as you think you can handle then add a little squeeze of lime. If you want to make it a little creamier, add sour cream until it reaches the consistency you prefer.
“These are awesome! My family gobbled them up as fast as I could make them! I love how ridiculously easy they are! Thanks!”-Beth
Frequently Asked Questions
YES! Of course, as with any recipe, just double-check the seasonings. But since this shrimp taco recipe calls for corn tortillas and the shrimp isn’t breaded you are good to go!
Yes! Shrimp is naturally low in fat and high in protein and vitamins. These tacos can be topped with any veggies you like. They’re fresh, light, flavorful, and satisfying.
Cutting carbs or wanting to make these healthier? Use butter lettuce instead of tortillas in this shrimp taco recipe and turn them into a lettuce wrap. You’ll love the extra crunch!
Storing Shrimp Tacos
Separate all the ingredients into individual bags and airtight containers. Place all ingredients except for corn tortillas in the refrigerator. Store for four to five days long. The tortillas will stay safe in the pantry at room temperature or cooler. When ready to enjoy easy shrimp tacos assemble when ready and reheat them in the microwave or oven.
What Goes Well With Shrimp Tacos?
Many times my family gathers around the kitchen island and eats these tacos as fast as we can assemble them. But occasionally I will turn them into a more formal meal and here are some delicious recipes I love to serve alongside.
Spicy Shrimp Tacos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces medium shrimp uncooked, peeled, deveined (see notes above)
- Cajun seasoning to taste
- 6 corn tortillas softened
- 2 cups cabbage shredded
- creamy Sriracha to taste
- cilantro chopped, to taste
- 2 limes sliced
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. While the oil is heating, place the shrimp in a bowl and toss it with Cajun seasoning.
- When the oil is hot, add shrimp. Cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side or until shrimp is pink, opaque, and cooked through.
- Place shredded cabbage on tortillas and top with cooked shrimp, creamy Sriracha, and cilantro. Serve with sliced limes.
How to Store Shrimp TacosSeparate all the ingredients into individual bags and airtight containers. Place all ingredients except for corn tortillas in the refrigerator. Store for four to five days long. The tortillas will stay safe in the pantry at room temperature or cooler. When ready to enjoy easy shrimp tacos assemble when ready and reheat them in the microwave or oven.
Did you try this recipe?
Share It on Instagram!
Mention @favoritefamilyrecipes or tag #favoritefamilyrecipes!
This is one of the easiest and fastest taco to put together. This is one recipe that should be on everyone’s favorite recipe folder. 🙂
These delicious shrimp tacos were so easy to make! Our whole family loved them. This recipe’s a keeper!
Yum! I love how easy and simple this is to make 🙂 And the flavors are great as well – perfect for a weeknight meal.
Love your idea to add Creole seasoning. These tacos look phenom. Exactly what I need for grill season!
These are awesome! My family gobbled them up as fast as I could make them! I love how ridiculously easy they are! Thanks!