Easy Shrimp Tacos make the best meal or snack. Tender bite-size shrimp, crunchy cabbage and spicy sauce comes together in just minutes and disappear even faster!
Easy Shrimp Tacos are in permanent rotation at my house. They’re so easy to throw together on a busy weeknight or as an after school snack for my children, and my husband asks for them all the time. The plump shrimp cooks up in no time, and my family can add any toppings they like. If your kids are squeamish about seafood, I suggest you start with these shrimp tacos. They’ll love the mild taste of the shrimp. They’re versatile, fast, and oh so yummy!
Are Shrimp Tacos Healthy?
Yes! Shrimp is naturally low in fat and high in protein and vitamins. These tacos can be topped with any veggies you like. They’re fresh, light, flavorful and satisfying.
Shrimp Taco Toppings
The beauty of these shrimp tacos is how much you can dress them up or down, depending on your mood or your family’s picky tenancies. Typically I lay out a variety of toppings and let my kids go to town. Here are a few of our favorites:
- queso fresco (or cotija)
- lime wedges (as a garnish)
- diced avocado
- diced mango
- chopped onion or green onion
- black beans
What Seasonings to Use for Shrimp Tacos
Since shrimp has such a mild flavor, I love to kick up the heat in this recipe with Cajun or Creole seasoning. I use the Tony Chachere’s seasoning because I think it has tremendous flavor and just the right amount of heat. But regular taco seasoning tastes delicious too, if that’s what you have on hand.
How to Make Shrimp Taco Sauce
For the sake of ease, I use creamy Sriracha from the grocery store. If you don’t have any that is pre-made on-hand it is super easy to make! Just combine about 1/3 cup mayonnaise with as much Sriracha as you think you can handle then add a little squeeze of lime. If you want to make it a little creamier, add sour cream until it reaches the consistency you prefer.
How to Make Low Carb Easy Shrimp Tacos
Cutting carbs or wanting to make these healthier? Use butter lettuce instead of tortillas and turn them into a lettuce wrap. You’ll love the extra crunch!
Are Shrimp Tacos Gluten Free?
YES! Of course, as with any recipe, just double check the seasonings. But since these shrimp tacos are served on corn tortillas and the shrimp isn’t breaded you are good to go!
What Goes Well With Shrimp Tacos?
Many times my family gathers around the kitchen island and eats these tacos as fast as we can assemble them. But occasionally I will turn them into a more formal meal and here are some delicious recipes I love to serve alongside:
- Cafe Rio Cilantro Lime Rice and Black Beans
- Restaurant Style Mexican Rice
- Grilled Mexican Street Corn
- Grilled Cilantro Lime Corn on the Cob
- Black Bean Soup
- Easy Creamy Corn Dip
Tips for Making the Best Shrimp Tacos
- Use small to medium shrimp that is uncooked, deveined, peeled, and tails removed. You can often buy these in the frozen seafood section of your grocery store. If you buy frozen shrimp, just be sure to thaw before cooking (this may add an extra 2-3 minutes of time). Always be sure to rinse your shrimp and pat it dry before using.
- Soften your corn tortillas. You can do this by heating them in a pan or by wrapping them in a damp paper towel and microwaving for 10-15 seconds. I prefer heating them in the pan I am using to cook shrimp. I heat the tortillas up before adding the oil.
- Add the shrimp to the pan and only turn them once. No need to stir them around– you want them to be evenly cooked and the best way to do this is by cooking them for a minute or two on each side.
- Use pre-shredded cabbage. This just makes it even easier.
How to Make Easy Shrimp Tacos
Easy Shrimp Tacos
Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. While oil is heating, place shrimp in a bowl and toss with Cajun seasoning.
When oil is hot, add shrimp. Cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side or until shrimp is pink, opaque, and cooked through.
Place shredded cabbage on tortillas and top with cooked shrimp, creamy Sriracha, and cilantro. Serve with sliced limes.