This Instant Pot Beef Stew is full of melt-in-your-mouth beef, hearty vegetables, and a rich broth. You won’t believe how quickly and easily it comes together.
Instant Pot Beef Stew
This Instant Pot Beef Stew is the perfect meal for a chilly day. It is warm and full of comforting textures and flavors. Cooking it in the Instant Pot is a game changer. I love it because you get the flavor and tenderness of simmering the stew on the stove for hours, but you only have to cook it for 35 minutes!
What Kind of Beef Should I Use?
You might think you need to use a fancy cut of beef to get those tender bites, but hear me out. I used the pre-cut stew meat in this recipe and it practically fell apart in my mouth! The Instant Pot has a magical way of taking the toughest meat and transforming it into a melt-in-your-mouth delight. On the other hand, if you have another cut of meat, use it! However, I found the stew meat to be the easiest and cheapest option that still tasted amazing.
Other Instant Pot Recipes You’ll Love
If you just got your first Instant Pot, or if you’ve been using one for years – try out one of our other Instant Pot classics!
How to Make Instant Pot Beef Stew
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 4 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Set Instant Pot to Saute mode and add one tablespoon of olive oil.
- Once oil is heated, add beef stew meat in a single layer on the bottom of the pot. You may need to do a few batches. Brown the beef on all sides. Once beef is browned, remove from pot and set aside.
- Once all the beef is browned, add the second tablespoon of olive oil. Once that oil is heated, add onion, garlic, and celery.
- Saute until the vegetables are tender. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add beef stock, tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce to the pot and whisk until combined. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up all burned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add meat and vegetables back into the pot. Add bay leaf, thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add potatoes and carrots to pot - DO NOT STIR.
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot and make sure it is set to 'sealing'. Set Instant Pot to Manual and cook on high pressure for 35 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, let the Instant Pot naturally release for 20 minutes. Then do a quick release and remove the lid. Remove bay leaf.
- Set Instant Pot to Saute mode. Mix together water and cornstarch. Pour into stew and stir gently. Be careful not to break up the vegetables.
- As soon as the stew has thickened, serve immediately.