Instant Pot Chicken and Rice is a WINNER. You cook the chicken and rice together in the Instant Pot which makes this dish SO easy! The basil cream sauce is to die for!
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice with Basil Cream Sauce
This Instant Pot Chicken and Rice recipe is derived from our Chicken in Basil Cream Sauce recipe. This is a much simpler version and it can all be done in the Instant Pot! Dinner was literally done in about 20 minutes. Rice, chicken, and all. My family asks for this dinner a lot, and I happily oblige. The cream sauce is to die for. If you haven’t tried many instant pot recipes, start here! It’s so easy, saves gobs of time and your family will devour it!
Tips for Making Chicken and Rice in an Instant Pot
- Chicken and rice can be made in any pressure cooker but we all use the Instant Pot. This is not a sponsored post or anything, it is just what we all prefer. The settings are all so user friendly!
- When using an Instant Pot or pressure cooker, I like to use Jasmine rice. Mostly because it is aromatic and it doesn’t stick as much as other rice varieties. I have used regular long-grain rice with this recipe and it came out too gummy. Jasmine rice is perfect. Also, it is important to note that you MUST rinse it before adding to the Instant Pot. This also helps with the gummy-ness. It makes it so it doesn’t clump as much. For any recipe it is probably a good idea to rinse the rice.
- This recipe calls for the chicken to be cut into pieces but it can easily be served with a full serving-size of chicken. If you do this, I would recommend seasoning the chicken and then browning it a little on each side. You can do this by using the “saute” function on the Instant Pot and placing a little oil in it. Cook the chicken on each side until it starts to brown. Remove from the Instant Pot and follow the recipe as usual, adding the rice and then putting the chicken over the top.
- This whole meal is naturally gluten free. Because you are using the parmesan cheese as a thickener to the sauce, there is no flour involved! It is a perfect Instant Pot meal for those who are GF.
More Instant Pot Favorites
We love using our Instant Pot on busy weeknights. Just throw in ingredients and BAM! Dinner is served. Try a few of our most popular recipes (including dessert!)
- Instant Pot Beef Pot Pie
- Instant Pot Gumbo
- Sunday Pot Roast (Instant Pot Recipe)
- Instant Pot Chocolate Lava Cake
- Instant Pot Lemon Custard Cups
- Cut chicken into 1" cubes and sprinkle generously with seasoning salt.
- Rinse rice (this is important, see notes above) until water runs clear, drain well.
- Place rice in greased Instant Pot and add chicken broth.
- Put chicken over the top of the rice.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and position knob to "sealing".
- Push "manual" button and set to "high" pressure for 5 minutes.
- While chicken and rice are cooking, prepare basil cream sauce.
- Allow to cook and natural release for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes you can quick release. Remove lid and fluff rice with a fork.
- Spoon basil cream sauce over individual portions.
Basil Cream Sauce:
- In a small saucepan, saute garlic in butter over medium heat.
- Add chicken broth, cream, basil, and pepper. Bring to a simmer.
- Turn heat to low and whisk in parmesan cheese.
- Instant Pot Pressure Cooker