These banana muffins are unlike any you’ve made before! They are moist and rich with a subtle banana flavor, then topped with a delicious cinnamon crumb topping. Not to mention—these banana muffins are healthy and low fat, thanks to a surprising oil substitute.
There are few things that are tastier for breakfast than banana muffins! I love them warm right out of the oven, with a teeny bit of butter spread over them.
These banana muffins are delicious. They are soft and sweet on the inside, with a crumb topping that gives a bit of crunch to the top. Even more impressive? This is all accomplished while making it a healthy banana muffin.
What Makes These Banana Muffins Healthy?
There are a few components that make these banana muffins healthier than their counterparts. You can enjoy them guilt-free! Firstly, applesauce is used instead of oil, which makes this recipe low-fat. I love recipes that are low-fat but don’t TASTE like they are, don’t you? This recipe has no oil whatsoever, so it definitely qualifies as low fat. Secondly, bananas are used to sweeten the muffin, which allows us to put less sugar in the banana muffins.
What are the Health Benefits of Bananas?
Of course, the star of these banana muffins are bananas themselves, which are incredibly healthy. This sweet fruit is rich in vitamin B6, manganese, potassium, and fiber. Plus, they are loaded with natural sugar, which is much healthier than piles of white processed sugar.
If you are using bananas that are overly ripe to make the banana muffins, you can cut down the sugar in this recipe even more. Some readers have reported being able to cut the amount of sugar by 2/3 when using ripe bananas!
Other Banana Recipes:
- Four Layer Banana Pudding
- Grilled Banana Split Boats
- Frozen Banana Split Dessert
- Homemade Banana Bread
- Chocolate Banana Bread
How to Make Banana Muffins
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease 10 muffin cups or line with muffin paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and applesauce. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture until just moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons. flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.