Banana boats – an incredible combination of grilled bananas, chocolate, and ice cream. This recipe is just like a banana split, only a hundred times better. Next time you fire up the grill, be sure to add these banana boats to your menu!
When grilling in the summer, don’t turn off the grill when you take off the meat, throw on these banana boats and have a delicious dessert waiting for you after dinner. Plus, this recipe can also be made over a fire. Place aluminum foil covered bananas on hot coals for the same amount of cooking time for a fantastic great camping recipe!
These banana boats are one of my husband’s favorite desserts. If I can be totally transparent, I don’t think I have made this recipe a single time! He is always the one grilling these up and I just get to sit back and enjoy. Why does food taste better when someone else makes it for you?
If you haven’t tried them before, the banana boats recipe is simple. Basically, it is a grilled banana with melted chocolate inside topped with ice cream and yummy topping- similar to a banana split but way better! Just think of bananas as the new graham crackers – this makes a great smore substitute!
Do you want to know the secret that sets these over the top? My husband always sprinkles on a little cinnamon before grilling. Yum. I included the photo above so you can see how the bananas are assembled before grilling.
Toppings for the Banana Boats
Now the really fun part…toppings! Just like with a banana split, banana boats can be totally customized depending on what kind of toppings you add. Here are some of my favorites to pick and choose from:
- Your favorite ice cream (this vanilla ice cream is fantastic!)
- Hot fudge sauce
- Peanut butter
- Fresh whipped cream
- Dessert dipping sauces
How to make Grilled Banana Boats
- Get a ripe banana and cut a slit through it lengthwise (do not cut all the way through the banana).
- Stuff two pieces of chocolate in the slit (see pic below).
- Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon and cover the banana completely in aluminum foil.
- Grill on high approximately 5 to 8 minutes turning once during the grill time. Carefully remove foil and place banana in a bowl, top with ice cream and your favorite toppings.
- Outdoor Barbecue Grill