This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This banana split dessert is one of my favorite no-bake desserts. A graham cracker crust is layered with bananas, ice cream, fudge, peanuts, and whipped cream—a winning combination that the entire family will love.
Featured with this recipe
Frozen Banana Split Dessert is the perfect sweet treat for feeding a crowd. All the classic banana split flavors, layered into an easy-to-make layered dessert that feeds It is easy to make, fun to decorate and even more delicious to eat! And since one recipe makes up to 24 servings, it’s an inexpensive dessert too!
Ingredients in Frozen Banana Split
This luscious layered dessert tastes like a bite of a banana split or ice cream sundae. And it’s so easy to make! Here’s what you need:
- Graham cracker crumbs – 3 ½ cups crushed crackers, divided. You’ll use some for an even layer at the bottom of pan, and also more to sprinkle on top.
- Bananas – about four large bananas, sliced
- Vanilla ice cream – an entire half gallon, softened so you can easily get scoops of ice cream out and work with them.
- Salted peanuts – one cup, or more if you like extra crunch. You can use any kind of nuts you like: pecans or walnuts would be so good too
- Chocolate chips – use any brand you like and any flavor! Semi-sweet, milk, dark, etc.
- Butter or Margarine – half cup or one cube
- Powdered sugar – two cups
- Evaporated milk – NOT sweetened condensed milk. The evaporated milk, butter, powdered sugar and chocolate will fold together to make the most divine hot fudge mixture.
- Vanilla extract – one teaspoon
- Whipped topping – make your own homemade whipped cream or use a tub of Cool Whip for convenience.
- Maraschino cherries – Optional, but it’s always fun to have a jar maraschino cherries on hand to make a dessert or ice cream sundae extra special.
Where did this Recipe Come From?
When my daughter turned 21, we had a big family dinner to celebrate. I thought after 20 years of cake, she might like something a little different. So, I dug through my binder of tattered, treasured recipes to see if I could find a fun idea for dessert. This recipe jumped out at me as a unique spin on a banana split cake. It’s like the best of both worlds: a cake and delicious ice cream treat. So yummy!
Easy Make-Ahead Dessert
Frozen Banana Split Cake is super easy to make ahead of time when prepping for an event or party. It needs at least an hour to freeze appropriately, but you can keep it in the freezer for up to two days before serving. Once you’re ready to enjoy it, just pull the banana split dessert out of the freezer and start slicing.
When I made this recipe for my daughter, I stuck to the ingredients in the original recipe. But you can get more creative and make this dessert a little different every time you make it!
- Sliced strawberries
- Fresh pineapple or canned pineapple chunks
- Chocolate Syrup
- Caramel sauce
Frequently Asked Questions about Frozen Banana Split Dessert
The original banana split is believed to have been invented in the early 1900s, and consisted of a sliced banana, scoops of strawberry, vanilla and chocolate ice cream, three kinds of toppings and whipped cream. This dessert tastes just like a real banana split, with much less hassle!
Keep leftover dessert right in the serving dish and keep in the freezer for up to a month. Don’t store leftovers in the refrigerator, because it’ll melt all over and won’t keep those pretty layers.
Bananas become sweeter when frozen and when blended it takes on a creamy texture like ice cream.
READ NEXT:33+ Easy Dessert Ideas
More Ice Cream Dessert Ideas
- Pink Lemonade Ice Cream Pie: This Pink Lemonade Ice Cream Pie is the easiest dessert with only 3 ingredients! It’s tart and cold and creamy and always a favorite.
- White Chocolate Raspberry Fried Ice Cream: White Chocolate Raspberry Fried Ice gets its crisp outer shell with a sweet, crunchy topping.
- Oreo Ice Cream Pie (Winger’s Copycat): This Mile High Asphalt Pie (Winger’s Copycat) is AMAZING! The chocolate mint ice cream drizzled with caramel and sprinkled with cookies is to die for!
- Raspberry “Fried” Ice Cream Dessert: This Raspberry Fried Ice Cream Dessert is sweet with a crunchy topping that gives it a fried texture taste. The delicious dessert is a chilled creamy treat that serves a crowd.
How to Make Frozen Banana Split Dessert
Frozen Banana Split Dessert
- 11×15 inch pan
- Cover bottom of 11×15 pan with 3 cups of graham cracker crumbs.
- Layer sliced bananas over crumbs.
- Slice ice cream ½ inch thick and place over bananas
- Sprinkle peanuts over ice cream. Freeze until firm
- In a saucepan, melt chocolate chips and butter over medium heat. Add powdered sugar and evaporated milk.Cook until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and add vanilla
- Let chocolate mixture cool, then pour over ice cream
- Spread whipped topping over the chocolate layer and sprinkle with remaining graham cracker crumbs
- Freeze until ready to serve
- Top with your favorite sundae toppings.
- This Frozen Banana Split Cake is super easy to make ahead of time when prepping for an event or party.
- It needs at least an hour to freeze appropriately, but you can keep it in the freezer for up to two days before serving.
- Once you’re ready to enjoy it, just pull the banana split dessert out of the freezer and start slicing.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.