Oatmeal Cookies with Butterscotch Chips are slightly crisp on the outside & chewy on the inside. Butterscotch chips take traditional oatmeal cookies to the next level!
Oatmeal Cookies with Butterscotch Chips
These Oatmeal Cookies with Butterscotch Chips take me straight back to my childhood when my mom would make a huge batch and pack along when we went on road trips or camping or to the lake. These are also our go to cookie recipe for the first day of school (more on that below). Something about the slightly crispy outside, chewy middle and mild butterscotch flavor of these cookies just makes the perfect snack!
Best After School Treat
On the first day of school each year we have a tradition of my kids inviting their friends to come over after school for oatmeal cookies, chocolate chip cookies, and milk. I love it because I get to hear about everyone’s first day of school: the new teachers, friends, classes, and homework. Over warm cookies and tall glasses of milk, the kids tell tales of embarrassing moments, the new kids at school, funny things the teacher said, and who got lost. It’s honestly one of my favorite days of the year and I don’t know if these conversations would happen around me if the kids weren’t gathered at the kitchen table munching on cookies.
Substitutions for Butterscotch Chips
This simple oatmeal cookie recipe can be switched up a million different ways depending on what your kids (or you) like most. If you’re not a huge fan of butterscotch chips, try some of these alternatives:
- Swap the butterscotch chips out for chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, M&Ms, Heath bar bits, raisins, craisins, just about anything!
- Add chopped pecans or walnuts to the dough for a heartier cookie.
- Drizzle the warm cookies with a glaze made from powdered sugar and milk. So yummy!
- Add just a little cinnamon and nutmeg to the dough for a warm spice cookie.
Easy Cookie Recipes
Along with these Oatmeal Cookies I usually prepare our Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies and our Homemade Oreo Cookies. They can all be made ahead and frozen, or prepared that afternoon for warm cookies right out of the oven when the kids get home from school. Is there anything more welcoming than warm cookies from the oven on the first day of school? Here are a few more of our after-school favorites:
- Graham Cracker Cookies with Coconut
- Turtle Cookies
- Healthy Oatmeal Cookies
- Monster Cookies
- Easy No Bake Cookies Recipe
How to Make Oatmeal Cookies with Butterscotch Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl or electric mixer, blend butter, sugar, and brown sugar. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until creamy and smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add this dry mixture to the butter/sugar mixture and blend well.
- Mix in the oats. Stir in the butterscotch chips.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place evenly on a lightly greased cookie sheet (non-stick cooking spray works best).
- Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browning on the edges of the cookies. Place on cooling rack.
- If you are going to freeze some of the cookies, wait until they are completely cooled, then place them in an airtight container or freezer grade, sealed plastic bag.
- This recipe yields approximately 6 dozen cookies.