Peanut Butter Cookies are sweet, chewy and make the most satisfying after school snack. This is the easiest, softest, best recipe you’ll ever try. Don’t forget a tall glass of milk!
How to Make Peanut Butter Cookies Chewy
There’s nothing better than sinking your teeth into a soft, chewy cookie. The more moisture in the cookie, the softer and chewier they are. To make these easy peanut butter cookies extra chewy, keep the moisture content high. Using a room temperature butter and soft brown sugar will help keep these super soft.
How Long Should I Bake Peanut Butter Cookies?
Another trick to the softest, chewiest cookies? Don’t over bake! Make sure to take these out of the oven while they still look under baked. Don’t worry, they will set up as they cool and will stay supremely soft and delicious!
Are Peanut Butter Cookies Gluten Free?
To make this peanut butter cookie recipe gluten-free, add a gluten-free flour blend to this recipe; you will have delicious GF cookies in no time!
Are Peanut Butter Cookies Healthy?
While they’re still made with sugar and butter, these cookies are also packed with peanut butter, which is a good source of protein and healthy fat. So sure, you can feel good about giving a cookie (or two) to your family. Everything in moderation, and we believe cookies should be part of that moderation!
Can Peanut Butter Cookies Be Frozen?
These homey, comforting cookies are perfection straight out of the oven, but some in our family prefer a frozen cookie! The cookies will stay soft and delicious in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week, but will last in the freezer for a couple of months!
More Peanut Butter Treats
We love our peanut butter around here! Try some of our favorite peanut butter treats with a tall glass of milk.
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies
- Really Reese’s Cookies
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
- Homemade Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge Swirl
- Peanut Butter Popcorn
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Birds Nest
- Peanut Butter Fudge Puddles
More of our Favorite Cookie Recipes
‘Tis the season for cookies! Bake a batch or two of our yummy recipes below, and let us know which ones are your favorites!
- Turtle Cookies
- Guilt Free Oatmeal Cookies
- Cherry Vanilla Cookies
- Monster Cookies
- Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies
- Andes Mint Cookies
- Spiced Molasses Cookies
- Grandma’s Soft Sugar Cookies
How to Make Peanut Butter Cookies
Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup peanut butter at room temperature smooth or chunky
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup peanut butter chips optional
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips optional
- For sprinkling: 1 tablespoon sugar, regular or superfine
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, the baking soda, the baking powder, and the salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and the peanut butter together until fluffy.
- Add the sugars and beat until smooth.
- Add the egg and mix well.
- Add the milk and the vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture and beat thoroughly.
- Stir in the peanut butter chips and chocolate chips (if you are using them).
- Place sprinkling sugar — the remaining tablespoon — on a plate.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls into the sugar, then onto ungreased cookie sheets, leaving several inches between for expansion.
- Using a fork, lightly indent with a crisss-cross pattern (I used the back of a small offset spatula to keep it smooth on top), but do not overly flatten cookies.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Do not overbake.
- Cookies may appear to be underdone, but they are not.
- Cool the cookies on the sheets for 1 minute, then remove to a rack to cool completely.