Stuffed Pesto Chicken recipe turns an ordinary chicken breast into a gourmet entree! Stuffed with feta cheese, topped with pesto and spices, this quick dinner is sure to impress!
*This post has been sponsored by HemisFares but all opinions are our own*
Stuffed Pesto Chicken
This Stuffed Pesto Chicken is bursting with flavor, vibrant colors and textures. It’s one of those dinners that looks and tastes super fancy, but is actually one of the easiest dishes to make. I don’t know about you, but I’m always looking for new ways to dress up boring chicken breasts, and this pesto chicken recipe was a sure hit with my whole family. The chicken is stuffed with feta cheese and rubbed with delicious blend of seasonings and then topped with HemisFares pesto. You can have a gourmet dinner on the table in about 40 minutes. Ideal for a busy weeknight dinner, or even a date night in. You will be amazed how easy this is to make.
We love HemisFares Pesto because it honestly tastes like homemade pesto but is way more convenient! Plus, the story behind this flavorful recipe is amazing. It’s a true Italian recipe that was found in an old leather notebook of a Piedmontese grandmother who was “renowned for dishes made with the finest local ingredients and lots of love”. We found this HemisFares pesto at our local Fred Meyer but it can also be found at Smith’s, Kroger, or any other Kroger carrying store. You are going to LOVE it!
Suggestions for Stuffed Pesto Chicken
- In addition to the savory pesto sauce, the spices really make this chicken recipe sing! You’ll see in the recipe card below all the yummy spices needed, but I bet you already have these in your pantry.
- Don’t be alarmed by the amount of paprika called for in this recipe. The red spice adds beautiful color to the dish and a sweet pepper flavor without adding too much heat. It’s so delicious!
- If you’re not a fan of feta cheese, or don’t have any on hand, you can use mozzarella, goat cheese or ricotta. They all have similar texture and flavor and all taste scrumptious in this recipe.
- You can make these chicken breasts ahead of time and freeze until you want to use. Slice and stuff the chicken with cheese, secure with toothpicks, then store them in a freezer safe container. When you’re ready to bake, remove them from the freezer and follow directions in the recipe card below. You’ll want to increase your baking time by at least thirty minutes.
- Leftovers stay nice and fresh in the refrigerator for up to three days.
What to Serve with Pesto Chicken
So many side dishes will go well with this chicken but probably the easiest side is just some pasta lightly tossed in extra HemisFares pesto and some sliced cherry tomatoes. Or try a few of our delicious side dishes that pair beautifully with this recipe:
- Pesto Potatoes
- Parmesan Baked Potato Halves
- Best Oven Roasted Asparagus
- Parmesan Garlic Grilled Potatoes
- Mediterranean Flatbread Pizzas
- Oven Roasted Vegetables
How to Make Stuffed Pesto Chicken
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- With sharp knife cut a slit into chicken breasts not cutting all the way through, just creating a "pocket".
- Stuff each "pocket" with feta cheese.
- In small bowl combine: paprika, cumin, oregano, thyme and salt. Rub mixture over each chicken breast and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in cast-iron or stainless steel skillet (oven safe) over medium-high heat.
- When oil is hot, add chicken and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Spoon pesto over chicken, cover, and place in preheated oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes (chicken breast thickness vary greatly) until cooked through and no longer pink inside.
- Remove and top with extra pesto (optional), any extra feta cheese, and cherry tomatoes.
- Serve with pasta or potatoes (see notes above).
- Cast Iron Skillet