This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
The stuffed pesto chicken recipe turns an ordinary chicken breast into a gourmet entree! Stuffed with feta cheese, and topped with pesto and spices, this quick dinner is sure to impress!
*This post has been sponsored by HemisFares but all opinions are our own*
Featured with this recipe
This Stuffed Pesto Chicken is bursting with flavor, vibrant colors, and textures. It’s one of those dinners that looks and tastes super fancy but is actually one of the easiest dishes to make. I don’t know about you, but I’m always looking for new ways to dress up boring chicken breasts, and this pesto chicken recipe was a sure hit with my whole family.
The chicken is stuffed with feta cheese and rubbed with a delicious blend of seasonings and then topped with HemisFares pesto. You can have a gourmet dinner on the table in about 40 minutes. Ideal for a busy weeknight dinner, or even a date night in. You will be amazed at how easy this is to make.
Easy Stuffed Pesto Chicken Ingredients
Get ready to impress your friends and family will this perfectly stuffed pesto chicken dinner! It is a crispy chicken skin on the outside with tender and juicy meat on the inside. Plus the flavor and seasoning combination are out of this world delicious!
- Chicken breasts – Slice the chicken breasts at the thickness of the chicken making a pocket for the stuffing to go inside. You will want the chicken to be connected to hold in all the ingredients.
- Feta cheese – A creamy cheese that will melt inside the chicken while it is baking.
- Paprika – Don’t be alarmed by the amount of paprika! This is the correct amount and will add all the flavor to this stuffed chicken breast recipe. Between the seasonings and pesto, the paprika will balance itself out.
- Cumin – Rich and hearty with an earthly tone that goes well with the other ingredients.
- Oregano – You know you have to have oregano for more Italian dishes. It is a great seasoning that adds flavor.
- Thyme – This seasoning has a flavor all on its own! Combine with the other Italian seasonings and you will have a great combination ready for your chicken.
- Olive oil – Get your oil hot before adding the chicken to the skillet. This will give the chicken a nice base with crispy skin on the outside.
- HamisFares pesto – Make homemade pesto or purchase a jar of it already made. This HamisFares pesto is authentic and tastes amazing, especially with this dish.
- Cherry tomatoes – Slice the cherry tomatoes in half for small bite-sized tomatoes. This is a great garnish and added color and texture to top off the chicken dinner!
How to Make Stuffed Pesto Chicken Dinner
Dinner may look like it took hours to put together and several ingredients later but you will be surprised at how easy this dinner is to make. Prepare this dinner on a busy weeknight, show off for friends and family, or enjoy a decadent dinner on a date night. It is simple to make stuffed pesto chicken dinner!
- Prepare – With a sharp knife cut a slit into chicken breasts not cutting all the way through, just creating a “pocket”. Stuff each “pocket” with feta cheese.
- Mix – In a small bowl combine paprika, cumin, oregano, thyme, and salt. Rub mixture over each chicken breast and set aside.
- Cook – Heat olive oil in a cast-iron or stainless steel skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add chicken and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side. Spoon pesto over chicken, cover, and place in preheated oven.
- Bake – Place chicken in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until cooked through and no longer pink inside.
- Garnish – Remove the chicken from the oven and top with extra pesto, any extra feta cheese, and cherry tomatoes.
We love HemisFares Pesto because it honestly tastes like homemade pesto but is way more convenient! Plus, the story behind this flavorful recipe is amazing. It’s a true Italian recipe that was found in an old leather notebook of a Piedmontese grandmother who was “renowned for dishes made with the finest local ingredients and lots of love”.
We found this HemisFares pesto at our local Fred Meyer but it can also be found at Smith’s, Kroger, or any other Kroger carrying store. You can always make homemade pesto but when you need store-bought pesto, this is the jar to pick up at the grocery store. You are going to LOVE it!
Suggestions for Stuffed Chicken with Pesto
Make this stuffed chicken with pesto dish even easier with these tips and suggestions to help along the way. Don’t let the ingredients make you nervous, all of them are pantry staples and easy to mix together. Melt your favorite cheese in the middle and have an amazing dinner in less than an hour!
- Pantry staples – In addition to the savory pesto sauce, the spices really make this chicken recipe sing! You’ll see in the recipe card below all the yummy spices needed, but I bet you already have these in your pantry.
- Lots of red spice – Don’t be alarmed by the amount of paprika called for in this recipe. The red spice adds beautiful color to the dish and a sweet pepper flavor without adding too much heat. It’s so delicious!
- Cheese – If you’re not a fan of feta cheese or don’t have any on hand, you can use mozzarella, goat cheese, or ricotta. They all have similar textures and flavors and all taste scrumptious in this recipe.
“This is so tasty! We really love pesto and always keep it on hand! Pairs perfect with chicken!”-Beth
Frequently Asked Questions
This pesto stuffed chicken pairs well with a side of mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, a side salad, or fresh vegetables.
Pesto is a traditional sauce that is known in Italy. It is a simple cooking sauce that is used to flavor pasta, meat, seafood, vegetables, and even some soups. The raw ingredients inside the pesto are usually fresh basil, olive oil, cheese, garlic, and pine nuts.
Stuffing chicken is easier than it sounds! Slice the chicken lengthwise almost halfway through still leaving the back of the chicken connected. This will be like a “pocket” to insert the stuffing.
Make Ahead and Freeze or Storing Leftovers
This is a great dinner to make ahead of time, freeze, or store leftovers for the next day. Follow these ideas on the best way to make ahead and store this chicken dinner recipe. You will be making chicken stuffed pesto more often than not with these easy-to-make suggestions!
- Make ahead of time – You can make these chicken breasts ahead of time and freeze them until you want to use them. Slice and stuff the chicken with cheese, secure it with toothpicks, then store them in a freezer-safe container.
- Baking – When you’re ready to bake, remove them from the freezer and follow the directions in the recipe card below. You’ll want to increase your baking time by at least thirty minutes.
- Storing – Leftovers stay nice and fresh in the refrigerator for up to three days.
What to Serve with Pesto Chicken
There are many side dishes that will go well with this chicken. One of the easiest sides is taking the pasta and lightly tossing it in extra HemisFares pesto. Add some slice cherries and you have another simple meal! We love side dishes and giving a boost to any meal. Try one of these sides for your next meal!
Stuffed Pesto Chicken
- Cast Iron Skillet
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup paprika this is not a typo
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 1 cup HemisFares Pesto
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes sliced in half, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- With sharp knife cut a slit into chicken breasts not cutting all the way through, just creating a “pocket”.
- Stuff each “pocket” with feta cheese.
- In small bowl combine: paprika, cumin, oregano, thyme and salt. Rub mixture over each chicken breast and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in cast-iron or stainless steel skillet (oven safe) over medium-high heat.
- When oil is hot, add chicken and cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Spoon pesto over chicken, cover, and place in preheated oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes (chicken breast thickness vary greatly) until cooked through and no longer pink inside.
- Remove and top with extra pesto (optional), any extra feta cheese, and cherry tomatoes.
- Serve with pasta or potatoes (see notes above).
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.
This is so tasty! We really love pesto and always keep it on hand! Pairs perfect with chicken!
I’m always looking for new ways to cook chicken and this pesto chicken recipe looks perfect.
This is such a flavorful chicken dinner! The pesto and cheese go so well with this dish!
Pesto is my favorite flavor to add to my chicken! Loved this dish, perfect for an at home date night 🙂
These are delicious!! I loved all the flavors and so did my husband.