This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Mediterranean Flatbread Pizzas are crisp and bursting with flavor. They’re the perfect snack or lunch and are ready in a few short minutes!
Featured with this recipe
This Mediterranean flatbread pizza recipe is piled high with fresh veggies and tangy cheese on a crisp crust, making it a much healthier alternative when pizza cravings hit. They’re low-calorie, fun to make, and even more, fun to eat!
Typical Greek ingredients take center stage on this flatbread recipe. Plump tomatoes, roasted red peppers and artichoke hearts burst with flavor as they bake alongside fresh zucchini nestled in with creamy goat cheese and spices. We love to spread hummus on the flatbread in place of sauce. The vibrant flavors on this pizza keep your taste buds singing bite after bite. It is so delicious!
Mediterranean Flatbread Pizza Ingredients
Sticking to a healthy diet does not mean having to give up all your favorite indulgences. To cook flatbread pizzas, place them on a cookie sheet under a broiler until your cheese bubbles and the veggies toast up. They’re the perfect quick lunch or after-school snack.
- Flatbread pitas – These come in a bag near the bread aisle. They are a thicker type of bread that is round.
- Hummus – Make homemade hummus with a base flavor or purchase a favorite brand at the store. This will be like your pizza sauce and spread all over the pitas.
- Red peppers – Chop up the red peppers as an even layer of topping.
- Artichoke hearts – Small pieces of artichoke hearts will be broiled in the oven.
- Cherry tomatoes – You can leave them whole or slice them in half. These will bake and shrivel a bit in the oven.
- Zucchini – Cut into bite-sized slices or chunks. Soften the fresh zucchini by sautéing in olive oil before adding to the flatbread.
- Goat cheese – Sprinkle goat cheese over top the toppings for it to slightly melt and blend together.
How to Make Mediterranean Flatbread Pizza
It is vegetarian delicious and so easy to make! There is nothing like having a light and tasty pizza for dinner. It is wholesome, loaded with flavor, and a delicious Mediterranean flatbread recipe. A yummy meal, for sure!
- Sauté – Cut the zucchini into bite-size pieces and sauté it in a frying pan with a tiny bit of oil, just until it begins to look cooked.
- Prepare toppings – Chop up the roasted red peppers and artichoke hearts into small pieces.
- Layer – Take a flatbread pita and generously smother it with a layer of hummus. Top the hummus with the red peppers, artichoke hearts, zucchini, and tomatoes, and then sprinkle it all over with goat cheese.
- Bake – Place the pizzas on a cookie sheet and place them under the broiler until the tops of the pizzas begin to get toasted. This only takes a few minutes so watch it closely!
Suggestions for this Recipe
There are several options and choices to make when making a flatbread pizza. These are a favorite snack, lunch, or dinner. They are light and tasty with all the health benefits plus flavor!
- Cheese – Not a fan of goat cheese? Don’t worry, neither is my husband. I just swap the goat cheese out for feta cheese or even balls of fresh mozzarella.
- Crust – This flatbread pizza crust can use naan bread, homemade flatbread, or pita bread. It is best to have the bread a little thicker when cooking all the ingredients on top without getting soggy.
- Extra toppings – Pizza can have a variety of toppings and options. Try it with mushrooms, and yellow or green bell peppers, and garnish with herbs and seasonings to add several ways of enjoying this flatbread pizza.
- Grilling – Toss them on the outdoor grill! We love doing this in the summertime. Pile the flatbread high with hummus, cheese, and toppings, then grill them over medium heat until the cheese is melted. You can put them flat on the grill, or use a barbecue pan or pizza stone. Or you can lay it on a piece of aluminum foil and place it on the grill.
“I made your recipe tonight and it was absolutely amazing! Thank you!”-Joy
Frequently Asked Questions
A traditional Mediterranean flatbread pizza is made of spinach, black olives, artichokes, red onion, crumbled feta, kalamata olives, or grape tomatoes. Use pesto, oregano, garlic, or fresh basil for more options and a variety of flavors.
Compared to traditional pizza dough, flatbread can be a healthy alternative. This recipe really serves as a plate of sorts to hold all the scrumptious veggie toppings. Everything is in moderation, of course, but this is definitely a lower-calorie pizza option.
Italy is famous for its pizza and claims they have been named the birthplace of pizza. They have several sizes and styles to choose from depending on the region it is made in.
Flatbread is made with flour, water, and salt and then rolled into a flattened dough. Pita bread is slightly leavened, whereas most flatbreads are unleavened. But you could use either option for this recipe and be just fine.
Storing Mediterranean Pizza
Once the flatbread has cooled, place it in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for one to two days. Warm up in a skillet, oven, or air fryer. A microwave will make it soggy and not as appealing.
More Tasty Pizza Recipes
If you’re anything like me, you could eat pizza every day. Lucky for you we have many delicious and creative pizza recipes for you to try!
How to Make Mediterranean Flatbread Pizzas
Mediterranean Flatbread Pizzas
- 6 flatbread pitas (I found these at Costco in the bread section, not the bakery)
- 10 ounces hummus
- 1 cup roasted red peppers (you can find these in a jar by the pickles in your grocery store)
- 1 cup artichoke hearts (also by the pickles)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 small zucchini diced
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese (or tomato and basil feta – they are usually close to each other, but the goat cheese is WAY better on this in my opinion!)
- Cut the zucchini into bite-size pieces and sauté it in a frying pan with a tiny bit of oil, just until it begins to look cooked (you don't want it to get too soft).
- Chop up the roasted red peppers and artichoke hearts into small pieces.
- Take a flatbread pita and generously smother it with a layer of hummus (like you would pizza sauce). Top the hummus with the red peppers, artichoke hearts, zucchini, and tomatoes, and then sprinkle it all over with goat cheese.
- Place the pizzas on a cookie sheet and place them under the broiler until the tops of the pizzas begin to get toasted. This only takes a few minutes so watch it closely!
How to Store and Reheat Mediterranean Flatbread PizzasOnce the flatbread has cooled, place it in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for one to two days. Warm up in a skillet, oven, or air fryer. A microwave will make it soggy and not as appealing.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.