This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Mediterranean Flatbread Pizzas are crisp and bursting with flavor. They’re the perfect snack or lunch and are ready in a few short minutes!
Mediterranean Flatbread Pizza
Sticking to a healthy diet does not mean having to give up all your favorite indulgences. Take pizza for example. A world without pizza is not a world I want to live in, thank you very much. This Mediterranean Flatbread Pizza recipe is piled high with fresh veggies and tangy cheese on a crisp crust, making it a much healthier alternative when pizza cravings hit. They’re low calorie, fun to make and even more fun to eat!
Typical Greek ingredients take center stage on this flatbread recipe. Plump tomatoes, roasted red peppers and artichoke hearts burst with flavor as they bake alongside fresh zucchini nestled in with creamy goat cheese and spices. We love to spread hummus on the flatbread in place of sauce. The vibrant flavors on this pizza keep your taste buds singing bite after bite. It is so delicious!
Suggestions for this Recipe
- Not a fan of goat cheese? Don’t worry, neither is my husband. I just swap the goat cheese out for feta or even balls of fresh mozzarella.
- For this recipe I love using flatbread pitas that I found in the bread section at Costco. Flatbread is made with flour, water and salt and then rolled into a flattened dough. Pita bread is slightly leavened, where most flatbreads are unleavened. But you could use either option for this recipe and be just fine.
- Compared to traditional pizza dough, flatbread can be a healthy alternative. For this recipe, it really serves as a plate of sorts to hold all the scrumptious veggie toppings. Everything in moderation, of course, but this is definitely a lower calorie pizza option.
- To cook flatbread pizzas, place on a cookie sheet under a broiler until your cheese bubbles and the veggies toast up. They’re the perfect quick lunch or after school snack.
- Toss them on the outdoor grill! We love doing this in the summertime. Pile the flatbread high with hummus, cheese and toppings, then grill them over medium heat until the cheese is melted. You can put them flat on the grill, or use a barbecue pan or pizza stone. Or you can lay it on a piece of aluminum foil and place it on the grill.
More Tasty Pizza Recipes
If you’re anything like me, you could eat pizza every day. Lucky for you we have many delicious and creative pizza recipes for you to try!
- Guilt Free Pita Pizzas
- 350 Calorie Flatbread Pizzas
- Grilled Pesto Pizzas
- Roasted Butternut Squash Flatbread Pizzas
- Lemon Chicken Pizza
- Turkey Bacon Avocado Pizza
- California Pizza Kitchen Thai Chicken Pizza
- Antipasto Pizza with Garlic Sauce
How to Make Mediterranean Flatbread Pizza
Mediterranean Flatbread Pizzas
- 6 flatbread pitas (I found these at Costco in the bread section, not the bakery)
- 10 ounces hummus
- 1 cup roasted red peppers (you can find these in a jar by the pickles in your grocery store)
- 1 cup artichoke hearts (also by the pickles)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 small zucchini diced
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese (or tomato and basil feta – they are usually close to each other, but the goat cheese is WAY better on this in my opinion!)
- Cut the zucchini into bite size pieces and saute it in a fry pan with a tiny bit of oil, just until it begins to look cooked (you don’t want it to get too soft).
- Chop up the roasted red peppers and artichoke hearts into small pieces.
- Take a flatbread pita and generously smother it with a layer of hummus (like you would pizza sauce). Top the hummus with the red peppers, artichoke hearts, zucchini, tomatoes, and then sprinkle all over with goat cheese.
- Place the pizzas on a cookie sheet and place under the broiler until the tops of the pizzas begin to get toasted. This only take a few minutes so watch it closely!