This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This Easy Pumpkin Trifle is smooth and creamy and it takes less than 30 minutes to make! It is the perfect pumpkin dessert for the fall.
Featured with this Recipe
This Easy Pumpkin Trifle has a ginger snap cookie layer, a rich pumpkin spice cheesecake layer, and a fluffy homemade whipped cream layer. The flavor is similar to a no bake pumpkin cheesecake, and can be made in a fraction of the time. The textures and flavors of the three layers complement each other perfectly in this dessert. I also love how the colors complement each other in the trifle dish. All the pretty colors of fall!
What Is Trifle?
A trifle designates a dish that generally features fruit, sponge cake, custard, and whipped cream all layered together in a large bowl. The trifle is not to be confused with a parfait, which is typically layered in tall glass for individual portions. Trifle is placed in a larger bowl to be served to a group.
Ingredients in Easy Pumpkin Trifle
This is a no bake dessert that is quick and easy to make with simple ingredients! In a large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer or a stand mixer to whip the pudding mixture together. Layer this trifle with a creamy and dreamy mousse that is sweet and savory all in one. This is a fall and holiday dessert that everyone loves!
- Ginger snap cookies – I found a 16 ounce box of gingersnaps, the Nabisco brand. You could also use a pre-made spice cake mix and cut it into squares. Save some crumbles for a garnish on top.
- Cream cheese – Let this sit on the counter until it is soft and reaches room temperature. We don’t want any lumps in the mixture.
- Vanilla extract – Adds extra flavor to the pumpkin mixture.
- Pumpkin puree – Make sure it is puree and not pumpkin pie filling. An added health bonus is that pumpkin puree is packed with vitamins and fiber!
- Sugars – Sweeten the filling with granulated and powdered sugar.
- Pumpkin pie spice – All the fall seasonings in one mix!
- Whipping cream – Heavy whipping cream is in the dairy section at the grocery store.
How to Present a Trifle Dish
This dessert looks really pretty in a trifle dish, but you could also layer it into parfait cups for individual servings. I used a couple of big spoons to layer this dish, but you can also pipe the layers in using piping bags with large tips, or a ziplock bag with a hole cut in the corner. This also makes it easier to get nice looking edges.
Homemade Whipping Cream
I am OBSESSED with homemade whipped cream. It is SO much better than what you can buy at the store. One thing to note: it is really important that you don’t over-whip the cream. It will be runny and it won’t hold up under the other layers if you whip it too much.
Variations and Substitutions
This is a pudding mixture that is smooth and creamy! Similar to a pumpkin pie filling, just without the eggs, this trifle has a light and airy texture with a fall flavor! Make the best trifle using these tips and variations.
- Combine cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger to make your own homemade pumpkin pie spice seasoning.
- If you aren’t a fan of ginger snaps, you can use Biscoff cookies that can be blended until crumbled. These work the same as ginger snaps.
- Take a pound cake and cut into 1-inch cubes. Layer in-between the pudding mixture.
- Instead of whipping cream, you can use Cool Whip or instant vanilla pudding.
- Top this trifle off with caramel sauce when you serve it.
“Thank you so much for sharing this amazing recipe! Will surely have this again! It’s really easy to make and it tasted so delicious! Highly recommended!”-Allyssa
Frequently Asked Questions about Trifles
You can make the trifle mixture up to 24 hours ahead of time. Make the pumpkin pudding mixture ahead and seal it in an airtight container. When ready to layer, add all the layers together.
No, not at all! Trifle bowls are easy to see the layers and displays beautifully, but it is not necessary. Use any glass bowl with deep sides, even a 9×13 glass pan will work fine. But, the straighter and taller the sides are the best.
Trifles look so pretty that it is hard to dig into them. Using a large spoon, dig deep into the bottom, going straight down and then bringing it all up together at once. This will give all the layers at once!
Any leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for two to three days. Tightly wrap with plastic wrap or place in an air tight container with a lid. You can even separate the ingredients until ready to serve.
Read Next: Pumpkin Dessert Recipes
Make it Ahead
This pumpkin mixture and the cheesecake mixture can be made ahead and stored separately. Once prepared, store the mixtures in separate airtight containers and keep them in the refrigerator. The cookies can be crumbled and stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
When ready to serve, layer the pumpkin, cheesecake, and cookie layers in a trifle dish.
Any leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for two to three days. Tightly wrap with plastic wrap or place in an air tight container with a lid. The cookies will get soft the longer it is stored in the fridge, but the trifle will still taste great. May trifles are made with cubed angel food cake or pound cake, and the cookies will have a similar texture to this.
More Pumpkin Recipes
How to Make Pumpkin Trifle
Easy Pumpkin Trifle
- Trifle bowl
- Piping Bags
- Electric Mixer
- 1 package ginger snap cookies
- 12 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Crush ginger snap cookies into medium-sized pieces.
For Pumpkin Cheesecake layer
- Beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Add vanilla, pumpkin, sugar, and pumpkin pie spice. Stir until combined.
For Whipped Cream layer
- Combine whipping cream and powdered sugar. Mix until stiff peaks form.
To Fill Trifle Bowl
- Layer cookie pieces, then pumpkin cheesecake, then whipped cream until bowl is filled. Make sure whipped cream is the final layer. Top with cookie pieces and crumbs.
How to Store the Pumpkin Trifle
- This pumpkin mixture is perfect to make ahead, refrigerate, and then layer in a pretty bowl. It is a simple recipe that doesn’t have a long shelf-life. Pumpkin cheesecake trifle recipe will be the showcase of the party.
- Any leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for two to three days. Tightly wrap with plastic wrap or place in an air tight container with a lid. You can even separate the ingredients until ready to serve.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.