This Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Coffee Cake has a cream cheese layer and crumb topping that is out of this world! Perfect for breakfast, snack, or even dessert!
Pumpkin Coffee Cake
We made this Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Coffee Cake yesterday for a Sunday morning brunch and I couldn’t stop eating it! I had to take some to my sisters before I ate the entire pan. Then I was wishing it wasn’t all gone. It’s a struggle. You can easily leave out the chocolate chips if you want it to be plain pumpkin, but I think that the chocolate chips in this are so yummy! Definitely use the semi sweet mini chocolate chips, I think that they distribute themselves more evenly than regular chocolate chips and you get a little chocolate in every bite. Whatever you do, don’t skip the cream cheese layer! The crisp crumb topping followed by the melty sweet cream cheese layer is unbelievable. I was in love at first bite. We also topped it off with some whipped cream and mini chocolate chips but this is totally optional.
Other Yummy Coffee Cakes
I have to admit, this is one of my all time favorite coffee cakes! Right now for me it is a pretty close tie with our Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake, both are so good, you can’t go wrong! I’m thinking that I can make the Pumpkin Coffee Cake during Fall and the Blueberry Coffee Cake in the spring. 🙂 And definitely our Cranberry Almond Coffee Cake during the Holidays. Although when I am looking for a quick and easy coffee cake recipe, I love to whip up our Cake Mix Coffee Cake.
Other Yummy Pumpkin Recipes
This time of year I am just craving pumpkin everything. If you are like me you will love our Pumpkin Pancake Recipe with Caramel Maple Syrup and Candied Pecans and our tasty Pumpkin Steamers for breakfast and brunch too. If you are looking for some pumpkin desserts, try our Pumpkin Cheesecake Trifle or our Pumpkin Cobbler. You can check out all our delicious pumpkin recipes HERE.
How to Make Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Coffee Cake
For The Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl blend together all the cake ingredients except for the eggs, flour, and chocolate chips.
- Thoroughly blend the eggs in one at a time, then blend in the flour until it's completely incorporated into the batter. Then gently stir in about 3/4 of the bag of mini chocolate chips. Pour the batter into a 9x13 inch pan that has been lined with cooking spray.
- In a medium size bowl, blend together the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla. Spoon the mix into a sandwich bag and cut a small hole in one corner. Pipe the cream cheese mix all over the top of the cake batter, it doesn't need to be pretty. Also, don't try to spread it out, it will even out while it bakes.
- Combine the crumb topping ingredients in a medium size bowl with a pastry blender until all the ingredients are thoroughly blended together. Do not soften the butter first! This takes a little work but is well worth it! Distribute the crumb topping all over the top, but don't pat it down.
- Bake for about 40 minutes then check the cake, if the center hasn't set up or if a toothpick comes out with wet cake batter you need to give it some more time. Mine ended up taking between 45 and 50 minutes. This can vary depending on your elevation.
- Optional: serve with whipped topping and extra chocolate chips.
- 9x13 inch pan