This meat-free, Vegan Taco Meat is perfect for burritos, tacos, or your favorite recipes that call for taco meat!
Vegan Taco Meat Recipe
My family doesn’t eat fully plant-based, but we love this Vegan Taco Meat recipe. This recipe isn’t meant to exactly mimic the texture of ground beef, but it is a healthy, delicious alternative to it. We’ve tried other plant-based meat substitutes, but this one tastes the best in my opinion! It is also gluten-free and dairy-free.
- Spice Mix – This Vegan Taco Meat gets flavored with cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. You can also use pre-made taco seasoning.
- Nutritional Yeast – Nutritional yeast adds a deeper umami flavor to this meat. If you don’t have nutritional yeast, you can add dairy free cheese.
- Cauliflower Rice – For this recipe, it is most convenient to use pre-made frozen cauliflower rice. If you make your own cauliflower rice, you will need to boil it to remove some of the strong cauliflower taste.
- Pecans – Finely chop the pecans or pulse them a few times in a food processor. If you don’t like pecans, you can also use walnuts.
- Tomato Paste & Water – The tomato paste and water act as a binder for this taco filling. The tomato paste also adds a good flavor to the meat. For a little more flavor, you can use vegetable broth instead of water.
How to Use Vegan Taco Meat
You can use this vegan taco meat with any of your favorite recipes! We have used it in all of our Mexican recipes – tacos, burritos, quesadillas, enchiladas, nachos, etc. It works great! My favorite way to serve it is in a taco salad or burrito bowl. Just add lettuce, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, cheese, lime juice, avocados and your favorite dressing. Don’t forget the salsa! I love to serve it with our Homemade Salsa or our Tomatillo Salsa. If you want to take this a totally different direction, you can switch out some of the spices to make vegan ground beef for spaghetti and meat sauce. Change out the cumin and chili powder for Italian seasonings like oregano, basil, rosemary, and thyme. Add your favorite marinara sauce and you’ve got yourself a delicious spaghetti sauce. This recipe is also great for meal prep! Store it in the fridge, in an airtight container.
More Vegetarian Recipes
How to Make Vegan Taco Meat
Vegan Taco Meat
- Prepare your spice mix by adding all the spices to a small bowl.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and then add riced cauliflower. Cook until the cauliflower browns a bit on the edges.
- Add pecans and toast for 1-2 minutes. Then add tomato paste, water, and spice mix. Stir until combined and cook until all the ingredients are warmed through.
- Serve with your favorite tacos, burritos, or nachos!