This Tomatillo Salsa Verde is so versatile! I use it to make chili verde, enchiladas, salsa verde chicken, for chips and salsa, and more!
Tomatillo Salsa Verde
I was so excited when my neighbor came by the other day and gave me a huge bag of tomatillos. I love tomatillos and that same day I husked them and made this salsa. What I love most about this salsa is that you can do SO much with it! It isn’t just for dipping chips! You can use it as a base for chili verde, you can throw it in a crock pot with pork or chicken and make enchiladas, you can use it so make salsa verde chicken (recipe coming soon). Seriously the possibilities are endless.
You can also can this salsa. Just throw it in jars and process as you would canned salsa (see here). So easy, so versatile… and absolutely DELICIOUS!
What are Tomatillos?
If you’re among the people who think of tomatillos are a baby tomato, you’re not alone. Even the Spanish name translates to “little tomato.” But they are actually something entirely different. They’re a fruit —just like tomatoes are a fruit — and are sometimes called “husk tomatoes” because they grow inside a green husk. They are a bright green color, which fades a little when you cook them. Despite the shared color resemblance, tomatillos are different than green tomatoes too. Mainly because of the husk in which they grow. They have a unique flavor that differs from tomatoes such that if you want to substitute tomatoes for tomatillos in a recipe, you should try to use an underripe tomato and add a squeeze of lime juice.
More Mexican Meals
This salsa verde is a great addition to all kinds of Mexican food. Here are a few ideas to turn this salsa into a side for a delicious Mexican meal.
- Crock Pot Mexican Shredded Beef is a go-to recipe for any beef Mexican dish. It’s so good in burritos, tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas, salad or just as is.
- Mexican Chili in a Tostada Bowl is so easy to make and the clean up is even easier. Low in fat, high in fiber, hearty and flavorful, you have to give this dish a try!
- Shredded Beef Taquitos are tasty as a lunch or snack and the perfect way to use up leftover pot roast.
How to make Tomatillo Salsa Verde
Tomatillo Salsa Verde
- Blendtec Blender
- Food Processor
- Blend tomatillos in a blender or large food processor.
- Add onion and remaining ingredients (you may have to do it in 2 batches depending on the size of your blender/food processor).
- Put it all in a large stock potover medium heat. Bring to a simmer.
- Turn heat to low and simmer over low heat for about an hour, stirring every 10 minutes or so.
- Cool and then refrigerate til ready to serve.