This Waldorf Salad is what every salad should be – fresh, crisp, crunchy, and sweet. It is refreshing and is a great side dish for any meal.
Waldorf Salad was a favorite side dish in my husband’s family when he was growing up. It is a fresh, crisp salad with a lot of crunch. Because my husband’s family is German, I thought the recipe originated in Germany, but after doing a little research I discovered that the Waldorf Salad was created in New York City at the Waldorf Hotel (which later merged with the Astoria Hotel and is now the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel). Oscar Tschirky was the maître d’hôtel, or head waiter, at the Waldorf Hotel and he is credited with creating the recipe.
What is in a Waldorf Salad?
The original Waldorf Salad recipe contained only apples, celery, and mayonnaise. Many variations on this salad have been developed over the years by adding turkey, chicken, raisins, dates, walnuts, and even cauliflower. I prefer this version with grapes, but when I can’t get grapes at a reasonable price I will use raisins or dried cranberries instead.
Finding crisp apples for this salad is a must. I like using two different varieties of apples when I make it, but if they aren’t in season I will use whatever apples I can find that are crisp. I love this salad because it is so easy to make. I usually have the ingredients on hand and it goes well with just about anything from sandwiches to a Sunday roast. This recipe makes a big salad. It serves 12-16 depending on serving sizes.
How to Make a Waldorf Salad
Waldorf Salad with Crunchy Apples and Grapes
This Waldorf Salad is what every salad should be - fresh, crisp, crunchy, and sweet. It is refreshing and is a great side dish for any meal.
- Slice apples then chop into bite-size pieces.
- Place apple chunks in a bowl and toss in lemon juice.
- Mix celery, grapes, and walnuts in with the apples.
- Add mayonnaise or yogurt and stir until the fruit and nuts are well-coated.
- Refrigerate salad until ready to serve.
- Serve on a bed of green leaf lettuce or mixed greens.
More Delicious Salad Recipes
Salads are a fresh and delicious way to get vegetables and fruits into your diet. It doesn’t take a lot to give a salad a little extra flavor and color. These salad recipes are unique, healthy, and easy to make.
- Nuts About Berries Salad – This salad is loaded with (you guessed it!) nuts and berries. It is fruity and refreshing.
- Mandarin Spinach Salad with Candied Pecans – My favorite part of this salad is the pomegranate seeds mixed in with the fruit and pecans. It is so flavorful!
- Kona Grill’s Red Pepper Coleslaw – Gorgonzola cheese and roasted red peppers give this traditional coleslaw a delicious twist.
- Asian Cucumber Salad – This low calorie salad is loaded with healthy vegetables and is lightly tossed in a rice vinegar based dressing.
- Fresh Mango Avocado Coleslaw – If you are lucky enough to find ripe mangoes and ripe avocados at the same time, you have to try this coleslaw! It is so colorful. The textures and flavors go so well together.
- Greek Side Salad with Greek Dressing – This flavor packed salad will not disappoint. Colorful vegetables, olives, and beans are dressed in an olive oil and vinegar dressing.