Here are some of our favorite picnic ideas for the perfect picnic. Break free from the PB & J mentality and try something new when planning your picnic food! Trust us, your family will thank you!
How to Plan the Perfect Picnic
Here are the steps:
1. Make food
2. Go outside
3. Eat food
Easy right? Food just tastes better when you have been playing outside in the sun! It doesn’t matter where you go. To the lake, or up on the mountain, or to the park, or even in your backyard. Here are some delicious picnic foods that you can whip up ahead of time to take on your outings that will get you out of the boring sandwich and chips rut, trust me, your family will thank you!
Sure, PB&J’s are easy to make, but why not kick it up a notch and try one of these sandwiches instead? Picnicking with a crowd? You can make any of these sandwiches on a large French bread and slice it into individual portions. To store your sandwiches, wrap them in reusable wax sandwich wraps or in plastic wrap. To keep sandwiches from getting soggy, keep all sauces and condiments in small individual containers until ready to serve!
- Chicken Salad Sandwiches (store the chicken salad in a separate container until ready to serve)
- Vietnamese Banh Mi Sandwiches
- Italian Sandwiches with Olive Tapenade
- Bleubird Turkey and Brie Sandwich
- Egg Salad Sandwiches (store the egg salad in a separate container until ready to serve)
- Turkey Over Italy Sandwiches
- Club Sandwiches
Wrap It Up
Wraps make the perfect picnic food, they are ideal for camping and hikes as well. They are easy to make at home, easy to pack, and easy to eat once you’ve made it to your destination. Wrap the sandwich filling in a tortilla or fill a pita.
- Zesty Italian Lunch Wrap
- Chicken Salad Curry Wraps
- Spicy Chicken Peanut Wraps
- Ham and Pineapple Wraps
- Fresh Asian Lettuce Wraps
- Chicken Caesar Wraps
Salads Perfect for a Picnic
My favorite salads for picnics are the ones that can’t get soggy! They are so easy to pack up and serve as a main picnic dish or as a side dish. To bulk up any salad or to make it more of a main course, add some grilled chicken strips or cubes.
- German Potato Salad
- Mom’s Macaroni Salad
- Layered Pasta Salad
- Chopped Chicken and Cabbage Salad
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Light Greek Pasta Salad
- Chopped Broccoli Salad
- Best Potato Salad
- Watermelon Feta Salad
Picnic Ideas for Dessert
And now, the best for last! Our best picnic ideas when it comes to desserts are the ones that are easy to transport. Cookies, bars, brownies, and any kind of rice krispie treat works great! For cake, you can put a cover on the cake pan and pack the whole cake in your basket. Don’t forget a plastic knife and plastic forks!
- Peanut Butter Cookies
- 7 Layer Magic Cookie Bars
- Microwave Rice Krispie Treats
- Salted Caramel Rice Krispie Treats
- Very Best Lemon Bars
- Picnic Cake
- Texas Sheet Cake
- Homemade Oreos
- The Best Homemade Brownies
Must Have Picnic Gear
Now that we’ve discussed the most important part of the picnic – the food, we would love to share some of our favorite picnic gear with you. These are all of our favorite things to use whenever we plan a day-trip picnic. We hope you will like them too.
- Picnic Blanket: Needs to be BIG, waterproof/sandproof, and portable
- Cute Picnic Basket: Should be waterproof, insulated, strong, and easy to carry
- Picnic Food Covers: Keeps nasty bugs off of your food
- Bluetooth Speaker: This one is waterproof, durable, and portable
- Picnic Tablecloth: We like the reusable ones that are waterproof and durable
- Ladder Golf: We LOVE outdoor games for picnics! We have this exact ladder golf set and it is THE best. It’s not one of those flimsy plastic ones. It has lasted for years and we love it!
*This post contains affiliate links. This means that we may get a small commission if you decide to buy any of the items that we recommend (at no cost to you).