Here are some of our favorite tasty picnic food ideas for you to take on your next outing that will get you out of the boring sandwich rut, trust me, your family will thank you!
How to Plan the Perfect Picnic
Here are the steps:
- Make food
- Go outside
- Eat food
Easy right? Food just tastes better when you have been playing outside in the sun! It doesn’t matter where you go. To the lake, or up on the mountain, or to the park, or even in your backyard. Here are some delicious picnic food ideas that you can whip up ahead of time to take on your outings that will get you out of the boring sandwich and chips rut, trust me, your family will thank you!
Must Have Picnic Gear:
Before we get to all the picnic food, we would love to share some of our favorite picnic gear with you! These are all of our favorite things to use whenever we plan a day-trip picnic. We hope you will like them too!
- Picnic Blanket: Needs to be BIG, waterproof/sandproof, and portable
- Picnic Basket: Should be waterproof, insulated, strong, and easy to carry
- Picnic Food Covers: Keeps nasty bugs off of your food
- Bluetooth Speaker: This one is waterproof, durable, and portable
- Picnic Tablecloth: We like the reusable ones that are waterproof and durable
- Ladder Golf: We LOVE outdoor games for picnics! We have this exact ladder golf set and it is THE best. It’s not one of those flimsy plastic ones. It has lasted for years and we love it!
Sure, PB&Js are easy to make, but why not kick it up a notch and try one of these sandwiches instead? Picnicking with a crowd? You can make any of these sandwiches on a large French bread and slice it into individual portions. To store your sandwiches, wrap them in reusable wax sandwich wraps or in plastic wrap. To keep sandwiches from getting soggy, keep all sauces and condiments in small individual containers until ready to serve!
- Chicken Salad Sandwiches (store the chicken salad in a separate container until ready to serve)
- Vietnamese Banh Mi Sandwiches
- Italian Sandwiches with Olive Tapenade
- Bleubird Turkey and Brie Sandwich
- Egg Salad Sandwiches (store the egg salad in a separate container until ready to serve)
- Turkey Over Italy Sandwiches
Wrap It Up
Whenever I pack wraps for a picnic, I like to make them once we are at the picnic. If you wrap them ahead of time they will get soggy. Plus, it doesn’t really save a lot of time if you prepare them beforehand. It’s easiest to wait til you are ready to eat.
- Chicken Caesar Wraps
- Spicy Chicken Peanut Wraps
- Ham and Pineapple Wraps
- Chicken Salad Curry Wraps
- Zesty Italian Lunch Wrap
- Fresh Asian Lettuce Wraps
Salads Perfect for a Picnic
My favorite salads for picnics are the ones that can’t get soggy! They are so easy to pack up and serve as a main picnic dish or as a side dish. To bulk up any salad or to make it more of a main course, add some grilled chicken strips or cubes.
- Chopped Chicken and Cabbage Salad (PaiMai)
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Light Greek Pasta Salad
- Chopped Broccoli Salad
- Layered Pasta Salad
- Fresh Tomato and Basil Pasta (serve cold)
**This post may contain affiliate links. This means that we may get a small commission if you decide to buy any of the items that we recommend (at no extra cost to you)***