Breakfast Hand Pies offer a fun twist on your typical breakfast. Eggs, green chiles, tomato, ham, and cheese get wrapped up in buttery, flaky puff pastry.
Breakfast Hand Pies
These breakfast hand pies are so yummy. We got the idea for this recipe from The Stone Lizard Lodge in Blanding, Utah. The Stone Lizard Lodge is a very special place to us. My grandparents built, owned, and operated the original motel, known as Motel Blanding. It later changed ownership and became the Stone Lizard Lodge. We try to stay there every time we head to Southeastern Utah. They serve the most wonderful breakfast including homemade cinnamon rolls and of course these “savory pockets” as they call them. Naturally, we wanted to recreate the savory pockets at home and we made these!
Tips for Making Breakfast Hand Pies
The layering of these hand pies is very important. First, make sure to put the ham on the bottom – it protects the bottom from getting soggy. Additionally, make sure you leave enough margin on the side of the fillings so that you can crimp the sides closed. If the sides aren’t closed well enough, the filling will leak out the sides as the pastry puffs up. For the ham we got sliced ham from our deli. We asked them to slice it on the thickest setting. If you aren’t able to get ham from the deli counter, you can layer several thinner pieces of ham on top of each other to achieve the same thickness. However, if you don’t want to use ham, you could also use bacon slices or sausage patties.
Other Breakfast Recipes You Might Like
If you love breakfast recipes as much as we do – check out these other fun ideas!
- Breakfast Quesadillas
- Make Ahead Breakfast Parfaits
- Copycat McDonalds Egg McMuffins
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
How to Make Breakfast Hand Pies
- Thaw puff pastry in the fridge overnight or on the counter for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, and salt and pepper. Cook in a skillet over medium high heat, stirring frequently. Make sure to scrape the bottom of the pan.
- Once eggs are cooked, add green chiles. Stir to combine.
- Cut each pastry sheet into 4 equally sized squares. Place them on a greased baking sheet.
- Cut out pieces of ham that will fit on one half of the pastry square and put one piece on each pastry square. Make sure to leave a margin on the edges for crimping the pies shut.
- Next, add a tomato slice to each pastry square on top of the ham.
- Then, scoop a small spoonful of egg mixture on to each pastry square on top of the tomato.
- Top the eggs with a pinch of shredded cheese.
- Fold the top piece of the pastry over the fillings and crimp the edges with a fork.
- In a small bowl, whisk one egg until combined. Using a pastry brush, brush a small amount of egg wash onto the top of each pastry.
- Top each pastry with another pinch of cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until pastry is puffed and golden brown.