This easy Cake Mix Cornbread is a perfect cross between a cake and cornbread. The texture is fluffy and smooth but has that yummy cornbread taste!
Cake Mix Cornbread
This Cake Mix Cornbread recipe is so good! The bread is moist and light. I’m not a huge fan of corn breads that are really grainy and dense, or corn breads with vegetable surprises inside. That is why I love this recipe so much. It is a perfect cross between a yellow cake and cornbread, and there are no surprises. It is easy to prepare and tastes amazing with some butter and honey. This is a great side dish for fall and winter to serve with soup or chili.
Make This in a ‘Jiffy’
One of the great parts about this recipe is the inclusion of Jiffy Cornbread Mix in the list of dry ingredients. That, combined with the cake mix and other ingredients make this a quick, simple, delicious way to get all the flavor you love with the perfect texture.
If you like your homemade cornbread slightly more grainy, add another cornbread mix and another egg. You will end up with more than what will fit in a 9×13 pan. Some people like to get creative with the pan choice when baking this bread. If you have more batter than will fit in the 9×13 pan, you can add the excess batter to some muffin tins for little muffins. One reader suggested baking it in a bundt pan for a different way to serve. Round pans work well too.
Tips for Baking Cake Mix Cornbread
While we try to give accurate cooking times, there are many factors that can affect how quickly your cornbread bakes. The best way to tell if your cornbread is done is to do the toothpick test. You’ll know its done when the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. If the edges and top are golden brown, but the toothpick does not come out clean, you can cover the pan with tin foil to slow the outside down and leave time for the inside to cook.
Try this Cake Mix Cornbread with one of our delicious chilis:
- Pork Chili Verde – An award winning chili with tender pork in a tasty, savory green chili sauce.
- Creamy Italian Sausage Chili – This creamy and hearty chili is made with sausage and 3 types of beans.
- Mom’s Cheater Chili – This chili recipe is simple and fast! The ground beef, onions, and tomatoes make a hearty meal.
- Cafe Zupas Chicken Enchilada Chili Copycat Recipe – This chili is loaded with seasoned chicken, beans, and corn in a creamy, slightly spicy, soup.
- Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili – Chicken, corn, white beans, Monterey Jack cheese and green salsa combine to make a creamy, flavorful chili.
How to make Cake Mix Cornbread
- Mix cake mix and corn bread mix together in a large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir well. The batter should be nice and thick.
- Pour into a greased 9×13 pan or lined muffin tin.
- Bake at 325-degrees for 40 minutes, or until baked through. Use the "toothpick test" to determine doneness. If baking in a muffin tin, bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown and baked through.
- 9×13 inch pan