Easy Cheesy Loaded Potato Soup has all your favorite potato toppings in a warm, satisfying bowl. Cheese, crisp bacon, scallions and of course hearty potatoes in a creamy savory sauce. A real cold weather favorite!
Since two of us and our parents hail from the great state of Idaho, we know our way around potatoes. Scrumptious spuds in any form are a dinnertime staple in our family, but this rich, decadent soup is always a real treat. It only takes minutes to prepare, but tastes like it’s been simmering for hours. You will love this soup recipe!
What Potatoes are Best for Loaded Potato Soup?
For an extra creamy texture, buttery Yukon golds are the absolute best for this potato soup recipe. But if you don’t have any on hand, red potatoes or good old Idaho russets will do just fine.
What is “Loaded” Potato Soup?
When we say this soup is loaded, we mean it’s stuffed with all those delicious fixings you normally pile on top of a baked potato: cheese, crispy bacon, vibrant green onions, sour cream, more cheese. You know, the works! This potato soup is wonderfully versatile that way. You can add as much or as little of these toppings as you like.
Can Potato Soup Be Reheated?
In small servings, this soup tastes delicious when you reheat it. But we suggest you warm it up on the stove rather than the microwave. The microwave doesn’t heat it evenly, and causes the potatoes to taste grainy. We would also recommend you use up leftovers within three days.
Can You Freeze Easy Cheesy Loaded Potato Soup?
Because of the cream in the soup base, this soup doesn’t freeze very well. This is one soup that is absolutely best when served fresh, or reheated within a couple of days. Plus, it’s so delicious that rarely do we have leftovers.
Is Potato Soup Gluten Free?
Most potato soup recipes are not GF. However for this recipe, all you need to do is swap out the flour for your favorite gluten-free brand. Everything else stays the same and we promise you won’t even be able to tell a difference.
What Else Can I Add To Potato Soup?
You can make this soup extra hearty with all kinds of other ingredients. We love to add:
- Cream Cheese (Panara Bread adds this to their soup and it’s delicious!)
More Scrumptious Potato Soups
If potato soups are your love language, we have several comforting classics for you to try. One of our favorites is Loaded Baked Potato Soup, which is made with actual BAKED potatoes. So yummy!
- Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Soup in a Pumpkin
- Zuppa Toscana Soup Olive Garden Copycat
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup
How to Make Easy Cheesy Loaded Potato Soup
- 6-8 slices bacon chopped into 1/2" pieces
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 quarts chicken broth (8 cups)
- 10 Yukon gold potatoes peeled and cut into 1" cubes
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- kosher salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- shredded cheese for garnish, optional
- sour cream optional
- green onion for garnish, optional
- Place bacon pieces in a soup pot or Dutch oven and cook over medium-high heat until bacon is crispy.
- Carefully remove bacon from the pot and place on a paper towel to drain. Set aside. Pour off most of the grease from the pot but leave about 3-4 tablespoons on the grease in the pot. Do not wipe clean.
- Add diced onion to the pot and sauté until onions become soft and clear.
- Sprinkle flour over the onions and stir well come combined. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 3 minutes.
- Slowly add chicken broth, whisking constantly with a large whisk. Bring to a boil.
- Add diced potatoes and reduce heat. Simmer potatoes for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring often.
- Add half and half and stir until well combined.
- Carefully place half of the soup in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth (Be careful not to overfill the blender. You may want to do this in batches.)
- Add the blended mixture back to the soup pot and stir in shredded cheese and cooked bacon. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place in individual bowls and garnish with additional shredded cheese, sour cream, and/or chopped green onion.