Our Mom’s Cheater Chili recipe makes cooking a pot of homemade chili simple and fast. Hearty ground beef, savory onions and plump tomatoes make the best and fastest chili around!
Mom’s Cheater Chili Recipe
Slow Cooker or Stove Top?
There’s something so cozy about a pot of soup simmering on the stove during colder months, and this chili recipe is no exception! If you have a bit more time you can throw all the ingredients in the slow cooker and let it cook on low for a couple of hours. The spices and smells permeate the kitchen and warm up even the chilliest of days. But if you’re pressed for time, brown up your hamburger, then add the rest of the ingredients to a pot on the stove and then simmer on low until you’re ready to serve.
This recipe cooks up quickly thanks to a can of chili beans (any kind will work great) and a can of pre-made chili. You’ll save gobs of time by not soaking and cooking chili beans, and I promise you can’t taste the difference! Using a can of chili makes the soup nice and thick, with spices already added. Brown up a pound of ground sirloin or even ground turkey, add a can of tomatoes, and you’ll have a hearty bowl of chili in no time.
What to Serve with Mom’s Cheater Chili Recipe
In our family, we like to top a big bowl of chili with diced onions, cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream. Serve it with a side of our Easy Cake Mix Cornbread, on top of Chili Dogs or Navajo Tacos. You will love how versatile and simple this recipe is!
More Chili Recipes
There are so many variations to a good bowl of chili, you can stay cozy and nourished all winter long! Try a few of our very favorites:
- Crock Pot Chicken Chili
- Texas Chili
- Cafe Zupas Chicken Enchilada Chili
- Creamy Italian Sausage Chili
- Mexican Chili in a Tostada Bowl
How to Make Mom’s Cheater Chili Recipe
- In a medium sized skillet, brown ground beef until done. Drain excess liquid and add onion. Cook until onion becomes soft and transparent. Put meat/onion mixture in slow cooker* along with remaining ingredients and cook on low for at least 2-3 hours. Top with cheese, onions, and/or sour cream.
- If you don't have a slow cooker, you can just bring to a simmer and cook on low-heat until ready to serve.