This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This chicken rice and broccoli casserole is a creamy, cheesy, yummy home-cooked dinner! It is a great way to use leftover chicken as well.
Featured with this recipe
- Chicken Rice and Broccoli Casserole Ingredients
- Steps to Making Chicken Rice and Broccoli Casserole
- Tips and Substitutions
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Storing and Reheating Chicken Rice and Broccoli Casserole
- More Meals to Try
- How to Make Chicken Rice and Broccoli Casserole
- Chicken Rice and Broccoli Casserole Recipe
This chicken rice and broccoli casserole is a recipe you will want to have on rotation! It is delicious, family-friendly, and so simple to make. It is filled with a creamy and savory flavor that everyone loves. Take your chicken to the next level with this delicious casserole recipe!
Homemade casserole dishes are the perfect comfort food to come home to! It is a simple combination of adding all the ingredients together and baking. Family dinner just got made quickly and easily with this amazing flavored dinner!
Chicken Rice and Broccoli Casserole Ingredients
Chicken rice and broccoli casserole are the perfect combination! This savory dinner is a complete meal with chicken as a main ingredient, and broccoli and rice as the side dishes. Most of these ingredients you already have on hand in the pantry or refrigerator. Make this dinner more than once a month for a delicious rotation!
- Cream of chicken soup – Make a homemade-style cream of chicken soup, or buy the canned version at the store. Either way, they both give so much flavor and creamy texture to the dish.
- Sour cream – Also adds a creamy base with a sweet and tangy flavor to the cream sauce.
- Mayonnaise – This may sound different, but it is a MUST for this casserole dish. So tasty and adds flavor to the broccoli.
- Lemon juice – Balance out the cream bases and give a hint of sweetness to the dish, as well as keep the broccoli and chicken looking and tasting fresh.
- Milk – Creamy base that will help cook the chicken and make it tender and moist.
- Cooked rice or quinoa – Prepare the rice or quinoa according to the package directions. This will already be cooked before adding it to the casserole. Rice or quinoa both work well for this dish. Feel free to do it the original way with white or brown rice if you don’t prefer quinoa.
- Chicken – Make your chicken breast ahead of time, then shred the chicken, or for a quicker, way buy a rotisserie chicken and shred it.
- Broccoli florets – Your broccoli will need to be cut either big or small depending on your family’s preference.
- Cheddar cheese – Shredded cheese will be sprinkled over the top of the chicken and broccoli ingredients.
Steps to Making Chicken Rice and Broccoli Casserole
Combine the ingredients together and place in a casserole dish to make this chicken and broccoli casserole. First, mix the creamy mixture, make the rice or quinoa, then bake it all together. Lastly, top with cheese and melt a little longer. This cheesy chicken rice and broccoli dish is simple to make and has loads of flavor in each bite!
- Mix – Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk the cream of chicken, sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, milk, salt, and pepper.
- Combine – Gently stir in quinoa, chicken, and broccoli.
- Cover and bake – When evenly covered in sauce, spoon the mixture into a 9×13 glass baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Melt cheese – Remove from oven, sprinkle an even layer with cheese, and return to oven for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Tips and Substitutions
Try these added tips and any modifications to help make this chicken rice and broccoli casserole recipe just how you like it! Make this family dinner with these ideas in mind and have a few different ways of enjoying this broccoli rice casserole.
- Cutting chicken – Instead of shredding your chicken, you can cut it into bite-size pieces.
- Substitute – Use cream of mushroom soup for a different flavor.
- Lighter ingredient – Try chicken broth instead of milk for a lighter casserole. It will still give good flavor as well as keep the chicken tender and moist.
- Creamy sauce – This tastes great if you do 1 cup of Greek yogurt instead of ½ cup of mayo and sour cream.
- Vegetables – Add in your favorite vegetables like fresh green beans, chopped onions, sliced celery, or cut-up carrots.
- Rice – Use either white rice, long-grain rice, or brown rice.
- Seasonings – For more flavor, add a tablespoon of basil and/or garlic powder. Black pepper and kosher salt are also two classic seasonings that are always on a dining room table.
- Cheese choices – Switch to a more flavored cheese like sharp cheddar cheese or add half jalapeño shredded cheese and cheddar cheese for a hint of spice. We love making this cheesy chicken broccoli rice casserole!
- Topping – Once the cheese has melted, add a layer of crushed Ritz crackers with melted butter to the top and bake for a few more minutes to give more texture and depth to the casserole dish. It is similar to breadcrumbs and gives a soft crumb texture on top.
“This is pure comfort food. I was looking for something to make that would use up some cooked chicken and broccoli and came upon this recipe. It was a quick dinner to put together and my husband loved it. The only change I made was to increase the rice to four cups. Yummy!”-Lori
Frequently Asked Questions
Rice and quinoa have close to similar textures and flavors. The nutritional value of quinoa is higher, but the rice still has great benefits as well. Quinoa is a complete protein and high in fiber and minerals. Brown rice has a high fiber content and may help to reduce blood pressure. Both have great benefits!
You can substitute fresh broccoli for frozen but I do not recommend it. Fresh broccoli will take a bit longer to cook, but it is firm and has more flavor, whereas frozen broccoli will be on the softer side.
Even though a lot of the ingredients are already precooked or already cooked, it is still important to heat the casserole thoroughly. Use an internal thermometer to heat up to 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Storing and Reheating Chicken Rice and Broccoli Casserole
This is an easy dish to store in the refrigerator, freeze, and reheat! We love this chicken rice and broccoli casserole for those busy weeknights. Simply make it ahead and store, freeze it, and reheat it for a quick and easy dinner!
- Refrigerate – Simply cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil, or plastic wrap, or place it in an airtight container in the fridge for four to five days.
- Freezer – Place the rice and broccoli casserole chicken in a freezable baking dish. When ready to thaw, place in the fridge overnight before cooking.
- Reheat – When ready to reheat, place back in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit and cook until warmed up. If using a microwave, cook in 45-second intervals or until it is warmed through.
More Meals to Try
Looking to mix up your dinner time plan? There are loads of great ideas on our website. Check out a few of these for starters.
How to Make Chicken Rice and Broccoli Casserole
Chicken Rice and Broccoli Casserole
- 9×13 inch pan
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 cup milk
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked rice or quinoa prepared according to package directions
- 3 cups shredded chicken use rotisserie chicken, leftover chicken or even canned chicken
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl combine cream of chicken, sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, milk, and salt & pepper.
- Gently stir in rice, chicken, and broccoli.
- When evenly covered in sauce, spoon the mixture into a 9×13 glass baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with cheese, and return to oven for an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with salt, pepper, and lemon juice for garnish.
Make It AheadTo make this dish ahead, prepare as directed, but instead of baking cover the dish and keep it in the fridge for up to two days. Remove the casserole dish from the fridge while the oven is preheating. Bake for an extra 5-10 minutes to ensure it is heated through before serving.
How to Store and Reheat Chicken Rice and Broccoli CasseroleThis is an easy dish to store in the refrigerator. Simply cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and place it in the fridge for four to five days. When ready to reheat, place back in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit and cook until warmed up. If using a microwave, cook in 45-second intervals or until it is warmed through. Note: A previous version of this recipe included cooking the broccoli before adding to the casserole. We have found that it is better to put it in uncooked. It keeps some of its crispiness.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.