This condensed Cream of Chicken Soup substitute recipe works great as a soup starter or in casserole type recipes that call for a can of condensed cream soup as a base. We have several recipes on our site that use “cream of” soups and we always get asked about a substitute.
Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup Recipe
This easy recipe can be made in just a few minutes with ingredients that are most likely already in your kitchen. It’s quick to whip up when you’re making a recipe that requires a creamy chicken soup as an ingredient.
A Healthier Substitute
We can all agree that this soup recipe is fantastic, but if you are wondering why this is better than its canned counterpart, here’s the deal. This version has the same tasty consistency and texture as canned cream of chicken soup, without any of the artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives.
Additionally, this recipe tastes even better than the canned one, thanks to real ingredients. Oftentimes, when using canned condensed soup, the artificial ingredients can overpower the taste of everything else in the dish. Using this version recipe makes every recipe taste better.
Keep in mind that this recipe is condensed, so if the recipe calls for a cream of chicken, mushroom, or celery soup continue to add water or chicken stock to reconstitute it.
- Use 1 1/3 cups of this condensed cream of chicken soup to replace a standard 10 oz can.
- This recipe makes 2 2/3 cups which is equivalent to 2 cans of condensed cream soup.
This substitute does have a slight chicken flavor because of the chicken broth used, but you can add more chicken bouillon to flavor it or shredded chicken if you want to have more chicken flavor. Also if you are replacing cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup in a recipe, you will want to add cooked mushrooms, celery, or celery salt to the recipe, to give it the correct flavor. Or, simply try our cream of mushroom soup recipe!
Try these recipes using Cream of Chicken Soup
- Easy Chicken Casserole
- Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Zesty Italian Dressing Chicken
- Chicken Enchiladas
How to Make Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour to the melted butter and mix into a paste.
- Whisk in milk and chicken broth. Whisk briskly until all the flour paste is dissolved making sure to get all of the flour from the edges of the pan.
- Add garlic and onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Continue to whisk and heat thoroughly until the condensed soup is smooth and creamy.
- Use 1 1/3 cup to replace one 10 1/2 ounce can of cream of chicken soup in recipes.
- If not using immediately, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- This recipe makes the equivalent of 2 cans of cream of chicken (or mushroom or celery) soup.