This Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup Substitute recipe works great as a soup starter or in casserole type recipes that call for a can of condensed cream soup as a base. We have several recipes on our site that use “cream of” soups and we always get asked about a substitute.
It can be made in just a few minutes with ingredients that are most likely already in your kitchen. This substitute recipe has the same consistency and texture as canned cream of chicken soup minus the artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives. I really like it because the artificial flavors in the canned stuff don’t overpower the other ingredients in the recipe and I actually think the recipe tastes better.
Keep in mind that this recipe is condensed so if the recipe calls for a cream of chicken, mushroom, or celery soup continue to add water or chicken stock to reconstitute it. This substitute does have a slight chicken flavor because of the chicken broth used, but you can add more chicken bouillon to flavor it or shredded chicken if you want to have more chicken flavor. Also if you are replacing a cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup in a recipe, you will want to add cooked mushrooms, celery, or celery salt to the recipe.
Most cans of “cream of” soup are 10 1/2 ounces which is equivalent to about 1 1/3 cups. This recipe makes 2 2/3 cups which is equivalent to 2 cans of condensed cream soup.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour to the melted butter and mix into a paste.
- Whisk in milk and chicken broth. Whisk briskly until all the flour paste is dissolved making sure to get all of the flour from the edges of the pan.
- Add garlic and onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Continue to whisk and heat thoroughly until the condensed soup is smooth and creamy.
- Use 1 1/3 cup to replace one 10 1/2 ounce can of cream of chicken soup in recipes.
- If not using immediately, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- This recipe makes the equivalent of 2 cans of cream of chicken (or mushroom or celery) soup.