This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Broccoli Cheese Soup is warm, inviting and loaded with cheesy goodness! Add potatoes and chicken to this soup for extra flavor. A delicious dinner any night of the week!
Broccoli Cheese Soup
This Broccoli Cheese Soup reminds me of the broccoli cheese soup that they make at The Pizza Factory. Creamy, cheesy soup with vibrant broccoli is one of our favorite soups on a cold day, or as a fragrant spring supper. We love to add tender chicken and potatoes for extra bulk. This is optional but oh, so delicious! Serve it in a bread bowl for a fun weeknight dinner!
Suggestions for this Recipe
- Using Velveeta cheese in the soup base gives it a creamy, cheesy flavor and it saves you a lot of work!
- You can make this soup with just broccoli and cheese and it is absolutely delicious. However if you want more of a substantial, hearty soup, try adding chicken and potatoes. So yummy! Try it and you’ll be amazed!
- This Broccoli Cheese Soup will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to four days. Reheat the soup in a saucepan on medium heat for a few minutes until it’s hot.
- You can use fresh broccoli or frozen broccoli in this recipe. Fresh broccoli will take a little bit longer to cook than frozen, because frozen broccoli is already blanched and cooks more quickly.
- Top this soup with shredded cheese, bacon, green onions, anything else you like! It’s such a versatile recipe. Enjoy!
More Delicious Soup Recipes
Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1 cup chicken breasts uncooked, cut into small pieces
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 pound broccoli frozen or fresh
- 2 potatoes peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pound velveeta cheese
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- Simmer chicken in broth for 15 minutes.
- Add potatoes and then broccoli to the top of the chicken. Cover pot and steam on low heat for 7 more minutes.
- In separate pan over low heat melt butter, bouillon, milk, and cheese together. (If you prefer, you can add all to a glass bowl and microwave. Cook on high for 3 minutes. Stir well. Cook on high for 1 more minute. Stir.)
- Mix sauce with chicken and veggies. Do not drain broth.
- (You can leave out the potatoes and chicken if you prefer just broccoli).
Did you try this recipe?
Share It on Instagram!
Mention @favoritefamilyrecipes or tag #favoritefamilyrecipes!
Hello this looks really good. Do you think this could be make in crockpot, if so how long…thx
We haven’t tried this in the crock pot, but you can certainly keep in warm in a crock pot!
Excellent!!! – Had friends over for lunch, they raved about this soup. Easy to make (I did add the chicken & Potatoes). Followed the recipe exactly, where it says “Add potatoes and then broccoli to top of the chicken”, the recipe is not totally clear that you need to put potatoes, then broccoli in a steamer on top of the pan the chicken is cooking in, then cover and steam for 7 more minutes.
The taste was perfect, right consistency, yummy taste 😋. Will definitely make again. Its in my favourites box.!
This is not the original recipe tgat was posted. Very disappointed that recipes change that were pinned
Hi Kathi – we actually had 3 different broccoli cheese soup recipes and because they were so similar, we just kept the one that had the highest reviews from our readers. Please send us an email and we will try to find that old recipe and send it to you in our reply. Thanks!
I just sent you an email! Thanks!
This Isn’t the original recipe that I pinned. The original recipe had you make a roux and add it to the chicken stock and broccoli. Did you change the recipe is there a way I can get the original recipe?
Hi Monica- we actually had 3 different broccoli cheese soup recipes and because they were so similar, we just kept the one that had the highest reviews from our readers. Please send us an email and we will try to find that old recipe and send it to you in our reply. Thanks!
Please send me The original as well
ON THE POTATO,BROCCOL CHEESE SOUP.THE LAST INSTRUCTIONS I SAW WAS DO NOT DRAIN BROTH.DOESNT SAY HOW LONG TO COOK IT? IS THAT THE THE END OF THIS RECIPE?
Its appears that part of this recipe may have been cut off. I will see what I can find. In the meantime to help you with this recipe, you will want to stir the ingredients together and stir until the soup has slightly thickened. You can add salt and pepper to taste. Hope this helps!
How many servings does this make?
About 6 to 8
WHat is à cube of butter ?
It is the same as a stick (also 1/2 cup)
I am going to try this asap! My Mom LOVES broccoli cheddar soup and I think she needs the added chicken and potatoes. I don’t know why I haven’t thought of this before!
This soup looks so yummy!! Broccoli cheddar is a favorite of mine but this twist with potatoes seems so much more filling! I can’t wait to make it. THanks for sharing!! – Thursdays
Just finished making this. It is wonderful. I had never thought of chicken and potatoes in a broccoli cheese soup but I really liked it. I put it in the crock pot since it is too early for dinner and to get the broccoli a little more tender. I did add a little bit of a mixture of milk and corn starch to thicken it a bit. It is wonderful!
Stephanie Quinn-Mt. Airy, MD