Chicken Tikka Masala is one of our favorite Indian dishes of all time. Tender chicken in a creamy curry sauce is so easy to make at home. A must try!
Chicken Tikka Masala
Chicken Tikka Masala first came into our lives years ago while we were living in California and some dear friends made it for us. Later we tried the same dish at an Indian Restaurant called The Bombay House in Provo, Utah. This recipe tastes exactly the same! Warm, creamy, and slightly spicy, this signature Indian meal can be made at home with regular ingredients and spices that you probably already have in your kitchen! No fussy or strange ingredients in this recipe. You can have an authentic Indian dinner in minutes without ordering take-out or spending a fortune at a restaurant.
What is Chicken Tikka Masala?
Chicken Tikka Masala was originally created in India, but gained popularity in an Indian restaurant in Glasgow, Scotland of all places! The Ali family who owned the restaurant came up with the creamy chicken recipe in the 1970s and word has it that it went on to become the most popular dish in British restaurants. Grilled skewered chicken blends beautifully in a creamy tomato sauce. We love that it is mild enough for our kids to enjoy, but spicy enough for the adults. If you’re looking to broaden your dinner horizons, try this recipe; you will love it!
What to Serve with Chicken Tikka Masala
This spicy dish is best served over a bed of rice with warm naan bread or a simple green salad. You can also try a few of these tasty sides:
More Spicy Dinner Recipes
Need a little more kick to your menu? Try these deliciously spicy meals:
- Chicken Massaman Curry
- Coconut Curry Grilled Chicken
- Chicken Panang Curry
- Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce and Cool Cucumber Salad
- Jared’s General Tso’s Chicken
How to Make Chicken Tikka Masala
Chicken Tikka Masala
- In a large bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, pepper, ginger, and salt.
- Stir in chicken, cover, refrigerate 1 hour.
- Prepare the sauce during this hour.
- Preheat a grill for high heat. Lightly oil the grill grate. Thread chicken onto skewers and discard marinade. Grill 5 minutes on each side.
- Add grilled chicken to the sauce, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro. Serve over rice.
For the Sauce
- Melt butter in a large skillet. Saute garlic for 1 minute.
- Season with cumin, paprika and salt. Stir in tomato sauce and cream.
- Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes.