This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Discover the secret to making Chipotle Steak at home! Our recipe gives you juicy and flavorful bites of steak for a salad , bowl or burrito!
Featured with this recipe
Make Chipotle at home, and don’t skimp on the steak! Cook up juicy, tender, flavorful steak in your own kitchen and create your favorite burrito or bowl. Make enough for leftovers, meal prep, and eat this delicious meal all week for lunch or dinner! Spices and flavors blend to create the perfect steak that you love in burrito bowls. Add black beans, cheese, corn salsa, guacamole, and sour cream and you have a high protein meal that tastes great!
Ingredients in Chipotle Steak
- Top Sirloin Steak
- Chilis in Adobo Sauce
- Red Onion
- Lime Juice
Choosing the Right Cut of Steak
Chipotle uses cuts from all over the cow to withstand the heat of the grill and get a deliciously charred taste. They cook their steak to a perfect medium rare. On their website, the steaks they use are described as the following:
- Bottom rounds
- Top rounds
- Eye of rounds
- Inside rounds
- Outside round
- Ball tip
- Sirloin top
For a cheap and delicious cut, you can also consider flank steak or skirt steak! When seasoned and cooked properly, nearly anything will taste good.
Once you smell this steak cooking, you’ll be tempted to eat it hot out of the skillet, but here are some ways to enjoy it once it has cooled down:
- Steak burrito- stuff cooked steak, rice, beans, cheese, guacamole, sour cream, salsa, and your other favorite ingredients into a large tortilla and enjoy.
- Steak burrito bowl- same idea as the burrito, but everything goes into a bowl, minus the tortilla! It’s easier and less messy to eat and you don’t have to struggle with wrapping up a burrito.
- Mexican steak salad- add your steak and toppings like pico de gallo, corn, black beans, cheese, cilantro, and avocado on top of lettuce and enjoy with a cilantro lime vinaigrette or jalapeno ranch.
- With veggies- cook some vegetables in a large skillet with olive oil and spices and eat these with your steak.
Let the steak rest for about 10 minutes before cutting it. This helps the juices to redistribute and settle.
Frequently Asked Questions about Chipotle Steak
It has a strong citrusy flavor with some spice. There is certainly a big squeeze of lime in there!
Because of the inconsistent cuts of beef, you never really know what you are going to get.. sometimes the beef is chewy, sometimes it is more tender. That is the beauty of making it yourself. You know exactly what you are getting!
When your steak reaches an internal temperature of 135℉-140℉, it is done. But, you can keep cooking until it reaches a level of doneness you are comfortable with.
Read Next: 35+ Easy Family Dinner Ideas
More Copycat Recipes
How to Make Chipotle Steak
- Add everything except the steak to a blender and blend until it reaches a saucy consistency.
- Add steak and marinade to a bag or lidded container and shake around until the steak is coated. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 12 hours.
- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet to medium-high heat. Depending on the size of your skillet you may have to cook in batches. Add the steak and cook until the internal temperature reaches 135℉-140℉, flipping once. Move the steak to a cutting board and cover with foil. Rest for ten minutes.
- Chop steak into bite size pieces.
- Serve in bowls, tacos, salads, or burritos!
- If you want the steak spicier add the whole can of chiles to the marinade.
- You can use this marinade on chicken or pork as well.
- Store leftover steak in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat in a skillet for best results.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.