I have several recipes for cream of broccoli soup, but I don’t really LOVE any of them. So I created this cream of broccoli soup… and I LOVE it! With this soup you use Velveeta, but don’t worry.. it is not overpowering AT ALL. You probably won’t even notice it’s there. It just adds a nice consistency and flavor. I highly recommend serving it in bread-bowls. One of my favorite Fall soups ever!
Cheesy Cream of Broccoli Soup
- 2-3 broccoli heads coarsely chop off the florets (I like BIG chunks of broccoli, but feel free to cut it up to your liking..)
- 9 c. water
- 5-6 Tbsp. bouillon granules
- 1 cube butter
- 1 onion finely chopped in food processor
- 1 c. flour
- 2 c. half & half
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 c. shredded cheddar cheese DON'T use pre-shredded. That stuff is coated with starch and will make your soup grainy and gross.. it is worth it to shred it yourself
- 16 oz Velveeta half of the big block
In a large pot over medium heat, bring water to a boil and add bouillon granules and broccoli, reduce heat and simmer broccoli for about 10 minutes. In a separate skillet over medium heat, melt the butter, add the onions and saute for about 5 minutes. Add the flour to the onions and stir well, forming a thick paste.
Gradually add the cream and stir until thick (I actually used a whisk, but that's just me, I like it really smooth). Add this mixture to the broccoli mixture in the pot and stir well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add shredded cheese and Velveeta, stirring until melted.
(Tip for cheesy soups: do NOT let it boil! This will break down the cheese and it will become grainy. Just keep it on a low heat until the cheese is melted, then serve!)