These are by far the best Dutch Oven Potatoes I have ever had! I especially love them with our homemade ranch. These potatoes are famous in our family.
Dutch Oven Potatoes
Is there anything more quintessential than a camping trip or family cookout that includes Dutch Oven Potatoes? Not likely. This popular Dutch oven dish can be made in a variety of ways. But I am not kidding, these potatoes really are famous in our family. They are by far the best I have ever had. I especially like them the best with a little homemade ranch dressing. But even without the Ranch dressing, these potatoes can stand on their own.
What is Dutch Oven Cooking?
Dutch oven cooking is basically cooking in a heavy pot with a lid. The process is used for braising meat, making soup, delicious desserts and more. Although the vision of Dutch oven cooking usually includes an outdoor fire, using the coals to heat the Dutch oven and getting that yummy campfire, woodsy aroma mingled with the meat and potatoes. While that is very true — and an excellent way to enjoy this style of food — there are indoor version of Dutch oven cooking pots, as well as gas cooking stoves for the Dutch oven. Its a much more versatile cooking style than some people realize.
What is in Dutch Oven Potatoes?
Well, besides the main ingredient, potatoes, the essential ingredients are bacon and onion. The bacon flavors and greases the Dutch oven, and also gives the potatoes and onions a rich, hearty flavor. The onion also seasons the potatoes. If you have picky eaters that don’t like onion, cut the onion in large slices, instead of dicing, so they can easily be removed. In addition to these three basic ingredients, most recipes include seasonings and cheese. We add one more ingredient to give the potatoes a creamier texture, cream of chicken soup. This isn’t necessary, more of a personal preference. Cream of Mushroom soup or Cream of Celery soup can also be used.
Make It A Meal
If you want to incorporate this into a delicious Dutch oven meal, check out these great recipes to accompany the potato dish.
- Dutch Oven Chicken and Sausage makes for a great main dish. All you need is two Dutch ovens and a bag of charcoal.
- Cinnamon Roll in a Dutch Oven? Yes, that’s right. It’s amazing! These potatoes are just as good as a breakfast side dish as they are a dinner side dish.
How To Make Dutch Oven Potatoes
- Preheat the Dutch oven on a campstove or with briquettes (15 on the bottom, 15 on top).
- Scrub and rinse potatoes. Slice each potato into rounds.
- Cut bacon strips into fourths.
- Fry the bacon pieces in the Dutch oven until browned.
- Drain about half of the bacon grease.
- Cook the diced onion in remaining grease until translucent. Add the sliced potatoes, seasoning salt, and garlic and stir.
- Cover and cook about 20-25 minutes stirring occasionally.
- When potatoes are fork tender, remove the lid and stir in the cream of chicken soup until evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top of the potatoes.
- When cheese is melted, remove from heat and serve.
- Dutch Oven