Easy Instant Pot Chicken Breasts are tender, juicy and perfectly seasoned. A simple, tasty protein that makes lunch and dinnertime a breeze!
Instant Pot Chicken Breasts
Chicken breasts cooked in the instant pot are ideal to keep on hand for a quick lunch or easy dinner on a busy weeknight. Thanks to the Instant Pot, you’ll always have delicious protein to shred or slice over salads, chop into pasta dishes or sprinkle on pizza. This recipe is a terrific alternative to baking chicken, when you don’t want to heat up the oven and entire house. You can make just a couple or several at a time, and they cook up in less than 20 minutes! Fresh and tasty, way better than store bought processed chicken, your whole family will love this zesty recipe!
Can I Use Frozen Chicken in the Instant Pot?
This is a frequently asked question when preparing chicken in the Instant Pot. Yes, you can definitely throw in frozen chicken breasts and let the magic of the Instant Pot do the rest. However, they won’t be as flavorful if they’re not marinated. If you cook frozen chicken, make sure to add at least three minutes to the cooking time. To add extra flavor, rub the frozen chicken breasts with oil and then with the dry rub (details in the recipe card below). The oil will help all those seasonings adhere to the frozen chicken breasts while cooking.
More Suggestions for this Recipe
- To ensure even cooking, try to keep chicken in on single layer in the Instant Pot. Depending on how much chicken you want to make, you may need to do a couple of batches.
- If you want to layer the trivets, place the flat trivet on the bottom and then the trivet with handles upside down over the second layer, sort of making a table over the other trivet. That way you can get two layers. If it seems a little wobbly, don’t worry, it’s not going anywhere.
- Check out the recipe card below for a delicious marinade. It’s zesty, slightly sweet, yet mild enough for adding to so many recipes.
- Feel free to use your favorite marinades or dry rubs and just follow the same method of cooking. The possibilities for flavoring your chicken are endless!
- If you’re using larger chicken breasts, add 2 to 3 minutes to the cooking time, and always be sure to check the internal temperature and make sure it’s at least 165 degrees.
- Cooked chicken breasts can stay nice and fresh in the refrigerator for up to five days. You can also freeze cooked chicken breasts to be used later. They’ll stay in the freezer for about two months.
Recipes that Use Instant Pot Chicken Breasts
These tender chicken breasts are delicious on their own with a side of potatoes or rice, but can also be used in several of our favorite recipes:
- BBQ Chicken Salad with Creamy Dressing
- Grilled Chicken BLT Tacos
- Chicken Taco Salad in a Tortilla Bowl
- Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- Easy Chicken Casserole
How to Cook Chicken Breasts in the Instant Pot
Instant Pot Chicken Breasts
- Place chicken in a large Ziploc bag.
- Add Italian salad dressing and garlic. Seal plastic bag. Move chicken around in the marinade to get an even coating, then place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours (overnight is best).
- When done marinating, place chicken on a plate and discard marinade.
- Combine chicken seasoning, salt and pepper in a small bowl and generously rub evenly over chicken breast.
- Set Instant Pot to "sauté" and spray with cooking spray. When the Instant Pot becomes hot, place each chicken breast on the bottom of the pot and sear for 1 minute on each side or until golden brown.
- Remove chicken from Instant Pot and pour chicken broth in the bottom of the pot to deglaze, scraping any browned bits off the bottom if needed. Cancel the saute function.
- Place trivet in the bottom of the pot over the broth. Set instant pot to "Manual" and set to high pressure for 6 minutes (if cooking larger chicken breasts you may want to increase this time by 2-3 minutes).
- After it is finished cooking allow to natural release for 5 minutes before flipping the quick release.
- Allow chicken to rest 3-4 minutes before slicing.