Chicken Salad Sandwiches are a go-to recipe for me when I’m hosting a luncheon or a shower. The chicken filling can be made a day or two ahead.
There are a couple of easy methods for preparing shredded chicken. The one I like the best is using a slow cooker. When I need cooked chicken for a recipe, I place the chicken breasts in a slow cooker on high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours with about a 1/2 cup of chicken broth per 3 chicken breasts. Sometimes I add seasonings depending on what type of recipe I am preparing. After it is no longer pink, I remove the chicken and shred it. Another method is to boil the chicken on the stovetop. Place the chicken in a saucepan and cover the chicken with water. Bring to a boil and then simmer until the chicken is no longer pink, about 15-20 minutes. Remove the chicken from the water and allow to cool, then shred the meat with two forks.
If I’m really pressed for time, I use the Kirkland Signature brand canned chicken from Costco or I buy a roasted chicken and remove the meat from the chicken and shred it. All of these methods work well for the chicken salad filling. My favorite way to serve the chicken salad is on croissants, but they also taste great in a pita pocket, a wrap, or on wheat or white bread.
- Cook and shred chicken and place in a medium size bowl.
- Add mayonnaise, onion powder, and garlic powder to chicken.
- If you are making this ahead, keep chicken mixture refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, stir in the grapes and cashews.
- Spoon chicken salad mixture onto croissants or bread of your choice and add a lettuce leaf.
- This makes 6-8 sandwiches if using regular-size croissants, sliced bread, or wraps. If using mini croissants or dinner rolls, this recipe will make approximately 12 sandwiches.