This Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe is my go-to for when I’m hosting a luncheon or shower. Tender chicken, grapes, celery, nuts and a delicious sauce is a perfect combination. Delicious!
Breakfast and dinner get a lot of attention, but lunch can sometimes slip through the cracks. Check out some of our favorite salads, sandwiches, and wraps to spice up that middle meal!
Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe
These Chicken Salad Sandwiches are always the star of the buffet when I am hosting a luncheon or a baby or bridal shower. The sweet, slightly savory sauce is mixed with tender chunks of chicken, sliced grapes, and cashews and is perfect served on croissants or rolls. This delicious chicken mixture can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge until party time. I’ve also made these to take along on picnics, lake trips, and family reunions. It’s easy to make, looks beautiful and tastes absolutely delicious!
Methods for Preparing Chicken
There are a couple of easy methods to get perfectly cooked shredded chicken:
- The one I like the best is using a slow cooker. When I need cooked chicken for a recipe, I place the chicken breasts in a slow cooker on high for 2 ½ to 3 hours with about a ½ cup of chicken broth per 3 chicken breasts. Sometimes I add seasonings depending on what type of recipe I am preparing. After it is no longer pink, I remove the chicken and shred it.
- Another method is to boil the chicken on the stovetop. Place the chicken in a saucepan and cover the chicken with water. Bring to a boil and then simmer until the chicken is no longer pink, about 15-20 minutes. Remove the chicken from the water and allow to cool, then shred the meat with two forks.
- If I’m really pressed for time, I use the Kirkland Signature brand canned chicken from Costco or I buy a rotisserie chicken and remove the meat from the chicken and shred it. All of these methods work well for the chicken salad filling.
How to Make Shredded Chicken in the Instant Pot
My favorite way to make shredded chicken is in the Instant Pot (aka pressure cooker). I love it because it’s fast, it cooks evenly, and the chicken comes out perfectly shreddable every time. I also love that you can cook the chicken from frozen (which is not recommended in a slow cooker). Shredded chicken in the Instant Pot couldn’t be easier, here’s what to do:
- Place chicken in the Instant Pot
- Add water, seasonings and a little butter (butter optional but highly recommended)
- Seal and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes (30 minutes if cooking from frozen) then quick release.
- Remove chicken and shred
For a full guide to shredding chicken click HERE.
What to Serve with Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Serve this chicken salad recipe on croissants, rolls, or bread slices. You can also use tortillas to make a wrap, pita pockets, or just plain over a bed of lettuce. If you want to make it a meal, I like to serve it with a side of fruit or potato chips.
This makes 6-8 sandwiches if using regular-size croissants, sliced bread, or wraps. If using mini croissants or dinner rolls, this recipe will make approximately 12 sandwiches.
Yes, but you have to make some modifications. You can mix the chicken, mayo, and spices together beforehand. You can also cut the celery and grapes beforehand. Right before you serve, mix the grapes, celery, and cashews into the chicken. Store everything in an airtight container.
Instead of using mayo, you can use greek yogurt. You might need to add a little more salt and pepper to make up for the flavor, but the consistency is a good match.
More Yummy Sandwich Recipes
- Egg Salad Sandwich – There’s nothing like a good Egg Salad Sandwich, and this one is by far my favorite recipe. Smooth, creamy, and flavorful, you’ll love this protein packed lunch option!
- Turkey Sandwich with Brie – This Turkey Sandwich with Brie is chock full of creamy brie cheese, tender turkey and thinly sliced tart apple. Unique flavors blend together for one mouthwatering sandwich!
- Cobb Salad Sandwiches – Cobb Salad Sandwiches are a delicious twist on your typical Cobb salad. An easy and quick way to enjoy all the flavors of Cobb Salad on the go!
- Gourmet Steak Sandwiches – These Gourmet Steak Sandwiches taste like they came right from a fancy restaurant. Juicy steak layered with pesto, peppers, Gorgonzola cheese, and arugula.
- Chicken Caesar Wrap – This Chicken Caesar Wrap has all the flavors of Caesar salad, all wrapped up and ready to take on the go. So filling, satisfying and delicious!
- Shrimp Po Boys with Creamy Cajun Sauce – Shrimp Po Boys are the ultimate sandwich for seafood lovers! Tender shrimp drizzled with creamy, spicy sauce topped with crunchy cabbage on a soft roll.
How to Make Classic Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- Add all the ingredients to a large bowl.
- Stir until combined.
- Spoon chicken salad mixture onto croissants or bread of your choice and add a lettuce leaf.