Easy Chicken Casserole lives up to its name; easy to make, easy to eat and easy to clean up! Perfect dinner for busy weeknights when nothing but “easy” will do.
Easy Chicken Casserole
I call this recipe “Easy Chicken Casserole” for two reasons. It is easy to make and it is easy to clean up after dinner. It could have just as easily been called “Delicious Chicken Casserole” or “Creamy Chicken Casserole” or “Comfort Chicken Casserole” because it is all of those things as well. I have used this recipe for the past twenty-five years as a simple weeknight meal. My family loves it and it works great during the school year when we are juggling homework, sports, church activities, and chores. I do try to limit the amount of meals in a month that I use “cream of” soups, but all things in moderation. The delicious taste and ease of the meal keeps it on the menu.
Substitutes for Canned Soups
This recipe could not be simpler, mainly because it consists of chicken, rice and four different kinds of canned soup. If you’re not keen on using that much condensed canned stuff in a recipe, we have created two delicious homemade versions of Cream of Chicken and Cream of Mushroom Soups. They’re super easy to make, and taste much richer and fresher and have way less sodium than those canned brands. For the other canned soups called for, you can opt for low sodium options, which still taste delicious.
As great as it tastes, the best part of this chicken casserole is the clean up. The foil lining that keeps the moisture in so the rice cooks can be removed after serving and the baking dish needs little to no cleaning, scrubbing, or soaking – happy day for whoever is doing dishes!
What to Serve with Easy Chicken Casserole
I always serve this casserole with a side vegetable and a large green salad to keep the overall meal on the healthier side. Try a few of these delicious side dish recipes that pair perfectly with this casserole:
- Waldorf Salad
- Best Oven Roasted Asparagus
- Oven Roasted Green Beans
- Creamy Pea Salad with Bacon
- How to Cook Frozen Corn
- How to Cook Frozen Peas
- Oven Roasted Vegetables
How to Make Easy Chicken Casserole
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
- 3 1/2 cups instant white rice I use Minute Rice
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can condensed cream of celery soup
- 1 can condensed French onion soup
- 1 can water use empty soup can to measure
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9x13 baking dish with aluminum foil and spray foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, whisk together all the soups and the water.
- Pour half of soup mixture in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Add rice evenly over the soup mixture.
- Evenly place the chicken pieces on top of the rice.
- Drizzle the melted butter over the chicken.
- Pour remaining soup mixture over chicken and rice. Be sure the rice is completely covered.
- Cover entire dish with aluminum foil, sealing it well around the edges of the pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Remove aluminum foil cover from the pan. Use a wooden spoon to stir the casserole before serving. Be careful not to tear the foil on the bottom of the pan.
- 9x13 inch pan