These Fish and Chips are crispy, flavorful and delicious. The real deal! Pair them with tartar sauce or malt vinegar. Rivals any restaurant!
This is probably my favorite fish recipe of all, we used to live in the San Francisco Bay area and would get fish and chips down on the wharf all the time. When made right, this recipe rivals anything you can buy near the ocean. Now, if you live by the ocean, and you can buy fresh fish to start with, do it! But for those of us without that access I definitely prefer Costco. Buy fresh halibut or cod, fry it up within a couple of days, and don’t freeze it! I’m serious, this makes a huge difference in the way your fish will taste. Cook your chips first, then keep them warm in the oven while you cook your fish, that way your fries won’t taste like fish. 🙂 For our delicious homemade Tartar Sauce click HERE!
4 to 5 potatoes cut into desired thickness of fries.
Fry in deep fryer at 375 for about 6 to 7 minutes, til golden brown.
Transfer to wire rack on a cookie sheet, sprinkle with salt, and keep warm in the oven at about 300 degrees.
Fish and Chips
- 1 lb cod or halibut boneless skinless filets (about 1/2 inch thick)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup Wondra Flour
- Lemon wedges malt vinegar, and tartar sauce.
- Mix regular flour, beef broth, eggs, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Beat together until smooth.
- Dip fish into batter, then coat in Wondra Flour. Fry in vegetable oil in a deep pan or deep fryer at 375 for 6 to 7 minutes or until golden brown and flakey when you cut into it.
- Season with lemon and malt vinegar and dip in tartar sauce.