Shrimp Po Boys are the ultimate sandwich for seafood lovers! Tender shrimp drizzled with creamy, spicy sauce topped with crunchy cabbage on a soft roll.
Want a quick lunch or supper that will have your family singing your praises? Look no further than these Shrimp Po Boys. The spicy, buttery shrimp cooks up in just a couple of minutes and the sauce couldn’t be simpler to mix together. These sandwiches practically make themselves, yet they pack such a flavorful punch they’re sure to become a family favorite!
What is a Shrimp Po Boy?
This Southern favorite originated in Louisiana in the late 1920s. Workers who were on strike against a streetcar company were given free sandwiches by a local restaurant. The restaurant employees nicknamed the strikers “poor boys”and the name “Po Boy” caught on.
How Do I Prepare the Shrimp for a Po Boy Sandwich?
Traditionally, this classic sub sandwich is served on a soft baguette roll with meat, usually fried seafood (oysters, shrimp, catfish, etc.) or sometimes beef or chicken. Typically, the seafood is breaded and deep fried. For this recipe however, we just grilled up some shrimp using garlic and a spicy kick of Creole seasoning (our favorite is Tony Chahere’s Creole Seasoning). Grilled or fried, these sensational sandwiches reign supreme!
The Secret’s in the Sauce
Smooth, creamy sauce atop the tender shrimp takes these sandwiches to the next level. All it takes are just a few pantry staples like mayo, horseradish sauce, Creole seasoning and a couple other spices. You won’t believe how delicious! Serve this sandwich alongside some Baked Potato Wedges and use the scrumptious sauce to dip. This meal is out of this world!
Other Favorite Recipes from New Orleans
We are big fans of the delicious flavors in the deep South; try some of our yummy copycat recipes from our visits there:
- Mini Beignets
- Creamy Cajun Shrimp Pasta
- Mint Juleps
- Cajun Chicken Po’ Boys
- Pecan Pralines
- Creole Butter Shrimp
- Cajun Style Grill Foil Packets
- One Pot Jambalaya Pasta
- Red Beans and Rice
How to Make Shrimp Po Boy Sandwiches
Shrimp Po Boys with Creamy Cajun Sauce
For the Creamy Cajun Sauce:
- 1 cup mayonnaise Best Foods or Hellmann's
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 3-4 tablespoons horseradish sauce
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon Creole seasoning depending on how spicy you like it
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
For the shrimp:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound shrimp medium to large, uncooked, peeled and deveined
- Creole seasoning to taste
- 4 hoagie rolls Bratwurst buns work great too
- shredded cabbage lettuce, or spinach - to taste
- Combine sauce ingredients in a mixing bowl until smooth and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add butter and garlic. When butter is hot and melted, add shrimp.
- Sprinkle Creole seasoning over the shrimp (remember it can be a little spicy so only sprinkle to your personal taste).
- When shrimp is pink all the way through (DO NOT OVERCOOK.. remove from heat as soon as it is just cooked through).
- Split rolls open and divide shrimp evenly between each roll. Top with the creamy Cajun sauce and shredded cabbage, to taste. ENJOY!