This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This Fresh Mango Avocado Coleslaw is such a flavorful and colorful summer salad! We will be eating this delicious side dish all summer!
Featured with this Recipe
We had some leftover mango from another dinner this week so I made up this delicious mango avocado coleslaw! This is such a flavorful and fresh summer salad, we brought a big bowl of this to a barbecue and it was a huge hit. By the way, this does make a pretty big bowl so feel free to half the recipe if you are making it for just a few people.
Ingredients in Mango Avocado Coleslaw
- Broccoli Slaw – broccoli slaw is made of shredded broccoli stems, carrots, and purple cabbage. It is a twist on traditional green cabbage slaw. We like it in this mango avocado coleslaw recipe because it stands up better to the dressing. This coleslaw has a different dressing than the typical mayonnaise based dressing.
- Mango – slice the mango into thin strips
- Sliced Almonds
- Optional Additions: green onion, fresh mint, diced orange slices, fresh parsley
Mango Avocado Coleslaw Dressing
- Rice Vinegar
- Honey – honey adds the perfect touch of sweetness to balance out the taste of the vinegar
- Sesame Oil
- Sesame Seeds
- Fresh Cilantro
- Optional Additions: salt, pepper, lime juice, lime zest
Make It A Meal
We have made this mango avocado coleslaw two ways now, once as a side dish and once as a meal with sliced grilled chicken over the top. Both ways are so good. I have a feeling we will be making this a lot this summer! It makes a great side dish for burgers, grilled fish or chicken, chicken satay, and more! You can add chicken like we did to make it a full meal or add grilled shrimp or salmon on top. This mango slaw also makes an amazing topping for fish tacos.
When it comes to picking the best fresh ingredients for this mango avocado coleslaw, it all starts with ripe mangos and ripe avocados. When picking the right mango from your grocery store, gently squeeze the fruit to see if it will give just a little. If it does, that’s a good indication of soft flesh inside. You can also sniff the stem area of the mango. If it gives off a fruity aroma, it is likely ripe.
As for avocados, you don’t want to rely on color to determine ripeness. Some avocados simply have a darker color than others. Instead, you’ll once again need to rely on the gentle pressure test. A ready-to-eat avocado should feel soft, but not mushy. If you’re buying in advance, you can allow it to ripen for a couple of days before using.
Two Peas In A Pod
Mango and avocado go well together, and not just in this coleslaw. In fact, in a couple of our recipes they’re like two peas in a pod. Try the delicious Mango Avocado Smoothie if you’re looking for a smooth, sweet, healthy way to boost your day. You will also love our Kalua Pork Tacos with Fresh Mango Salsa. By combining the juicy, smokey flavor of the shredded pork with the fresh flavors of mango and avocado, there’s just so much flavor to love.
Frequently Asked Questions
Rice vinegar is really the best vinegar for this recipe, but in a pinch you can use apple cider vinegar.
Coleslaw comes from from the Dutch expression koosla, which means “cabbage salad.”
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge and use within 3 days.
Read Next:35+ Best BBQ Side Dishes
More Side Salads
How to Make Fresh Mango Avocado Coleslaw
Fresh Mango Avocado Coleslaw
For The Slaw:
- 12 ounces broccoli slaw
- 1 1/2 cups fresh sliced mango
- 2 avocados sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
For The Dressing:
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 Tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 2 Tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- In a large bowl, toss together the broccoli slaw, mangos, avocados, and almonds.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Gently stir the dressing into the salad.
- Avocados brown quickly so make sure to add them to the salad right before serving.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge and use within 3 days.
- Add grilled chicken or shrimp to this coleslaw to make it a meal.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.
I have 3 mango trees and this is the first recipe I dig out during the season and love it, great recipe!
YUMMY such a great combo of tropical flavors. LOVED this. Perfect pick me up in the winter months.