These Guacamole Chicken Torta Sandwiches are my kind of Mexican food! Seasoned grilled chicken on Torta bread loaded with guacamole, lettuce, tomatoes, and chipotle ranch dressing.
Guacamole Chicken Torta Sandwiches
Don’t get me wrong, I do love Mexican food, but sometimes it all seems the same to me. I love that this sandwich is a unique twist on all the yummy flavors that make Mexican food so tasty, and it’s in sandwich form! Staying true to being somewhat authentic, I used Mexican Torta bread, I found a big package of these at Costco, it is awesome bread!
The chicken spice rub is the same one we use on our Cafe Rio Tortilla Soup, and I also used the guacamole recipe from our delicious Best Guacamole Ever! These instructions make 4 big sandwiches, but you can adjust accordingly to your needs.
What is a Torta Anyway?
A torta is not specific only to Mexican food. It has place in Spanish, Italian, Greek, Albanian, Bulgarian, Maltese, Hungarian, Portuguese, Croatian, Swedish, Serbian, Macedonian, Slovene and Slovak languages. However, in the case of this recipe, a torta basically refers to a Mexican sandwich. To qualify as a torta it must include a fluffy bun, spread with butter and topped with all kinds of things. You can use refried beans, meats, cheeses, spicy peppers, avocado, the list can go on and on.
More Great Mexican Meals
The torta really mixes things up in a good way on the Mexican meal menu. If you want to find even more great Mexican dishes, give some of these a try.
- Mexican Baked Strawberry Empanadas are the perfect dessert with any Mexican dish. Sweet, delicious and easy to make, your whole family will love them.
- Mexican Lasagna combines layers of corn tortillas, meat sauce and cheese; its like a cross between lasagna and enchiladas.
- Sweet Corn Cakes (Tamalitos) are a sweet, yet savory side to any Mexican feast. Bursting with flavor, and easy to make!
How to Make Chicken Torta Sandwiches
- Cut the chicken breasts in half horizontally, so you have two large but thin and flat slices of chicken. Mix together the taco seasoning and paprika and rub it all over the chicken.
- Grill over medium heat for 6 to 7 minutes on each side or until thoroughly cooked. When the chicken has just a minute left, top each piece with a slice of pepper jack cheese. (Optional: I also like to slice and grill the torts bread for just a minute),
- Cut Torta bread into two slices, layer on a piece of chicken on the bottom slice, then top that with guacamole, lettuce, tomatoes, and chipotle ranch dressing then finish with the top slice of the bread.
- Outdoor BBQ Grill