This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Black Beans are a great addition to any Mexican-inspired meal! Serve them with rice as a side dish or inside of your favorite burritos and tacos.
Round out your favorite main dishes with flavorful side dishes, like these black beans. Whether you are looking for a salad or potatoes or bread, we have you covered!
These Black Beans are a savory side dish that pairs perfectly with so many meals! I love how quickly they come together, and you probably already have most of the ingredients in your pantry right now. The reduced tomato juice and spices make the perfect sauce to keep everything together. If you want to add a little bit of spice, feel free to add some chopped jalapeno or diced green chiles in with the garlic at the beginning.
Step by Step Instructions
You will love how simple this recipe is. It is almost foolproof, but I can walk you through the steps just in case!
- Start by heating the olive oil in a large, non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Then, add the garlic and cumin. Don’t skip this step! It adds so much flavor when you cook the spices by themselves before adding the beans.
- Once the garlic is soft and fragrant, rinse and drain the beans and add them to the skillet. Then add the tomato juice and salt.
- Stir the mixture together and continue cooking over medium heat. You’ll know the dish is done when the beans are heated through and some of the liquid has cooked out making the sauce a little thicker.
- Serve alongside rice or inside of your favorite taco, burrito, enchilada and more!
What to Serve with Black Beans
- Grilled Carne Asada
- Crock Pot Salsa Verde Chicken
- Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas
- Grilled Steak Street Tacos
Cafe Rio Inspired Recipe
This recipe originally came from our collection of Cafe Rio inspired dishes. Cafe Rio is a beloved Tex-Mex chain that serves burritos, tacos, salads, and more! We were obsessed but some of us didn’t have a location near our house. We started trying to recreate Cafe Rio recipes at home. Not to toot our own horn, but we totally nailed them! Those recipes helped us get on the map as recipe bloggers and they are some of our post popular posts to this day! Check out the collection here: Cafe Rio Copycat Recipes – All the Best in One Place.
More Recipes with Black Beans
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large pan. Add garlic and cumin and cook for a few minutes, until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add beans, tomato juice, and salt. Cook until heated through and some of the liquid is evaporated, stirring frequently.
- Just before serving, stir in the cilantro.