If you love Cafe Rio’s Chicken Tortilla Soup, but don’t want to go out – don’t worry! We’ve got you covered with this AMAZING copycat recipe!
When I order this at Cafe Rio, I love watching how they make it! The first time I was confused because they were just throwing ingredients into a cup and I was thinking, “This does not look like soup,” but then they add the broth at the end and it all makes sense. Now, you can make it the same way in your own kitchen!
I have been so excited to post this recipe, you have no idea. I love Cafe Rio’s chicken tortilla soup and have been wanting to duplicate it forever, I just haven’t gotten around do doing it until now! I am not going to lie — this is my personal favorite tortilla soup recipe and it tastes just like Cafe Rio (if not BETTER). It is so fresh and delicious, you are going to love it!
Just a few side notes… you can throw the chicken in the crock pot with the broth and it will probably still be amazing, but personally I LOVE the grilled chicken taste… grill it if you can! Also, you will notice I added pinto beans (not the Cafe Rio original way of doing things but it is totally worth doing). I liked it better actually and it makes the soup go further. If you want to keep it EXACTLY like Cafe Rio feel free to leave them out. And one more thing (because I am sure I will get e-mails about it).. instead of adding a scoop of guacamole (as I know Cafe Rio does), I just did diced avocado which just saves time having to make a separate little thing of guacamole (plus, I love having the chunks of cool avocado in there)! To check out more of our Cafe Rio Copycat recipes click HERE! *Serves 4-5
- 1 onion diced
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- a dash or two cayenne
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 5 c. chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp. fresh cilantro finely chopped
- juice of 1/2 lime
- pepper to taste
- 1 can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- vegetable oil to taste
- pico de gallo click HERE
- 2-3 avocados diced
- 2 c. pepper jack cheese
- tortilla strips Click HERE
- cilantro for garnish
- lime wedges for garnish
- In a small skillet, saute onion in 1 Tbsp. oil until onions become slightly soft. Stir in cumin, cayenne, and chili powder and saute an additional minute or two.
- Transfer seasoned onions to a small crock pot (or medium-sized saucepan). Add chicken broth, cliantro, lime juice, pepper and pinto beans to onions and simmer on low-heat for at least 2-3 hours.
- In the meantime (when you are close to serving), combine taco seasoning and paprika. Brush chicken with oil and rub with taco seasoning/paprika mixture. Grill chicken over medium-heat until cooked through (try to turn only once during the grilling process). Remove from grill and shred.
- In individual bowls layer chicken, about 1/3 c. pico de gallo, 1/3 c. diced avocado, and 1/3 c. pepper jack cheese. Ladle about 1 cup of chicken broth directly over the layers. Top with tortilla strips and garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.