If you love Cafe Rio’s Chicken Tortilla Soup, but don’t want to go out, don’t worry! We’ve got you covered with this AMAZING copycat recipe!
Cafe Rio Chicken Tortilla Soup
Cafe Rio Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe tastes just like the Cafe Rio favorite, if not better! This is by far my most favorite chicken tortilla soup so I’m so excited to share this copycat recipe with you. It’s fresh, fragrant and full of chicken and spices, I just know you’re going to love it!
A Few Twists on the Original
- You can throw the chicken in the crock pot with the broth and it will taste rich and delicious, but personally I LOVE the smoky grilled chicken taste. Grill it if you can!
- I added pinto beans (not the Cafe Rio original way of doing things but it is totally worth doing). The meaty beans give it a deeper flavor and actually makes the soup go further. If you want to keep it EXACTLY like Cafe Rio feel free to leave them out.
- Instead of adding scoop of guacamole (as I know Cafe Rio does), I just diced avocado which just saves time having to make a separate little thing of guacamole. Plus I love having the chunks of cool avocado in there.
Cafe Rio Copycat Recipes
Can’t get enough Cafe Rio or Costa Vida? Neither can we. That is why we have created a whole collection copycat recipes so we can enjoy all the flavors we love from these restaurants in our own homes. Here are links to more of our favorites:
- Cafe Rio Sweet Pork
- Original Cafe Rio Sweet Pork Salad
- Cafe Rio Black Beans and Cilantro Rice
- Cafe Rio Cilantro Ranch Dressing
- ALL Cafe Rio Copycat Recipes (in one convenient place)
How to Make Cafe Rio Tortilla Soup
Our Version of Cafe Rio’s Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Crockpot Slow Cooker
- 1 onion diced
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or more if you like it spicier)
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 5 c. chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp. fresh cilantro finely chopped
- 1/2 lime juiced
- pepper to taste
- 14 oz pinto beans 1 can, drained and rinsed
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- vegetable oil to taste
- pico de gallo click HERE
- 2 avocados diced
- 2 c. pepper jack cheese
- tortilla strips Click HERE
- cilantro for garnish
- lime wedges for garnish
- In a small skillet, saute onion in 1 Tbsp. oil until onions become slightly soft. Stir in cumin, cayenne, and chili powder and saute an additional minute or two.
- Transfer seasoned onions to a small crock pot (or medium-sized saucepan). Add chicken broth, cliantro, lime juice, pepper and pinto beans to onions and simmer on low-heat for at least 2-3 hours.
- In the meantime (when you are close to serving), combine taco seasoning and paprika. Brush chicken with oil and rub with taco seasoning/paprika mixture. Grill chicken over medium-heat until cooked through (try to turn only once during the grilling process). Remove from grill and shred.
- In individual bowls layer chicken, about ⅓ c. pico de gallo, ⅓ c. diced avocado, and ⅓ c. pepper jack cheese. Ladle about 1 cup of soup directly over the layers. Top with tortilla strips and garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.