This Instant Pot Beef Goulash is a rich, hearty meal for any day of the week. The beef tastes like it has simmered all day but is actually made in less than an hour!
Instant Pot Beef Goulash
Instant Pot Beef Goulash is my new favorite thing. We served this over mashed potatoes and my kids couldn’t get enough! The chunks of beef are so tender and flavorful, everyone will think it has been stewing all day. The gravy is nice and thick, just how gravy should be. The veggies are tender, but not TOO tender. I know that in some Instant Pot recipes the vegetables can get too mushy. That is not the case with this recipe! You could serve this over rice, noodles, thick slices of Texas toast, biscuits or in a bowl all its own. This is a terrific meal any night of the week!
Tips for Making Goulash in the Instant Pot
- If you have a pressure cooker, but no instant pot, you can still make this beef goulash recipe! There are hardly any adjustments that need to be made. Really, the only adjustment is that instead of using the “meat/stew” function, you just cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. No biggie. Most pressure cookers have a “saute” function but if yours doesn’t, you can sear the meat and cook the onions in a separate pan first. Or you can just throw it all in without sautéing. Either way you will be just fine.
- If you wanted to make this goulash more of a “one pot” meal, you can always add some cubed potatoes in with the carrots. It will make it more like a stew but it will still be delicious!
- To make this recipe gluten free you will just want to make sure that the onion soup mix and beef broth you are using is GF. Sometimes those can be tricky to find. Herb Ox brand has a great GF beef broth. Wylers has a gluten free onion soup mix that we love. It does contain soy though so be careful if you have a soy allergy as well.
Try some of our Other Instant Pot Recipes
Be sure to try some of our other easy Instant Pot recipes! If you like this recipe, you will be sure to love our Instant Pot Sunday Pot Roast recipe. Here’s a few more of our very favorites:
- Instant Pot Chicken Cordon Bleu
- Hard Boiled Eggs in the Instant Pot
- Easy Instant Pot Chicken Breasts
- Instant Pot Lemon Custard Cups
How to Make Instant Pot Beef Goulash
Instant Pot Beef Goulash
- 2 lbs beef roast (or steak) cubed, stew meat works great too
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 onion peeled, cut into pieces
- 6 carrots peeled, cut into pieces (or 2-3 c. baby carrots)
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/3. cup water
- Sprinkle beef with salt and set aside.
- Set Instant Pot to "saute" function. Add oil.
- When oil is hot, add beef. Turn beef every 15-20 seconds or so until all sides are browned.
- Add onions and sauté for another minute.
- Add carrots, soup mix, Worcestershire, paprika, and beef broth.
- Place lid on Instant Pot, turn to close, and set tab to "sealing".
- Press "meat/stew" setting (or high pressure for 20 minutes).
- Allow to naturally release for 8-10 minutes before switching tab to "venting".
- Allow Instant Pot to release pressure and remove lid. Press "saute" function.
- Combine cornstarch and water, creating a "slurry". Slowly add to the Instant Pot, stirring constantly until thickened (you want a gravy consistency).
- Serve with mashed potatoes.