This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff recipe is a comfort food staple that your whole family will love. Using your Instant Pot makes it easy to get fork-tender beef and a rich savory sauce in a fraction of the time.
Featured with this Recipe
- Beef Stroganoff in the Instant Pot
- Ingredients in Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Can I Cook the Egg Noodles in the Instant Pot?
- A Very Important Tip for Cooking Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Frequently Asked Questions
- More Instant Pot Recipes You’ll Love
- How to Make Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Beef Stroganoff in the Instant Pot
Beef Stroganoff, to me at least, is the perfect comfort food. With fork-tender beef, savory mushroom sauce, and the creamy but tangy addition of sour cream – I just can’t get enough of this dish! It also makes for easy and yummy leftovers. I’ve had great results cooking beef in the Instant Pot before, so I wanted to try this recipe. I am so happy with how it turned out!
Ingredients in Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- olive oil
- beef stew meat cut into 1-inch pieces
- onion – diced
- mushrooms – diced
- garlic – minced
- Worcestershire sauce
- beef broth
- egg noodles – extra wide
- sour cream
- season with kosher salt and black pepper – to taste
Can I Cook the Egg Noodles in the Instant Pot?
When I was researching how to make Beef Stroganoff in the Instant Pot, I came across a lot of recipes that suggested cooking the egg noodles in the Instant Pot with the sauce. I have cooked noodles in the Instant Pot before and I have found that they come out a little on the soft side. My family prefers noodles more al dente, so I like to cook them separately. If you want to cook the noodles with the sauce, follow steps 1-8 below and then add the egg noodles to the pot. Set the Instant Pot to ‘Manual’ and pressure cook on high for 5 minutes. Do a natural release for 5 minutes, and then a quick release. You shouldn’t have to follow the optional thickening instructions, since the pasta will release some starch into the sauce while cooking.
A Very Important Tip for Cooking Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
The best tip I have for this recipe is to deglaze the Instant Pot after cooking the meat and vegetables. Deglazing is when you add a liquid (in this case, beef broth) to the pot and scrape the cooked bits of food off the bottom of the pot. This is a VERY important step because if you leave cooked bits of food at the bottom, it will create hot spots in your pot and your food won’t cook as evenly as it should. Your Instant Pot might even display the BURN notice. So, make sure you don’t skip deglazing!
Frequently Asked Questions
Stroganoff typically is made from a sour cream or greek yogurt gravy, thickened with flour and also has beef broth. some recipes even add some extra flavor with dijon mustard and mushrooms. This recipe uses Worcestershire sauce, onion, mushrooms and garlic for a prefect creamy taste.
If you want to make your stroganoff extra delicious, some of the best cuts of steak for beef stroganoff are rib eye steak, tenderloin, rump steak or a chuck roast.
Beef stroganoff is a dish from Russia and was named after Count Alexander Grigorievich Stroganoff.
Read Next:27 BEST Instant Pot Recipes
More Instant Pot Recipes You’ll Love
If you are wanting to use your Instant Pot more often (and you should!), try some of our other Instant Pot favorites!
How to Make Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds beef stew meat cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2-3 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1 cup mushrooms diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups beef broth
- 16 ounces egg noodles extra wide
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup water optional
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch optional
- Set Instant Pot to 'Saute' mode and add olive oil. Once oil is hot, add beef in a single layer to the Instant Pot. You may have to do multiple batches. Brown the beef on all sides. The beef does not have to be cooked through at this stage. Once the beef is brown on all sides, remove it from the pot and set aside.
- Add onions, mushrooms, and garlic to the pot and cook until tender. About 3-4 minutes.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and flour to the pot. Stir until combined. Add beef broth to the pot. Stir to combine and make sure that you scrape up any bits that have cooked on to the bottom of the pot.
- Add the beef back into the pot and cover with the lid. Set the valve to 'Sealing' and cook on 'Manual' at high pressure for 10 minutes.
- While the beef is cooking, prepare the egg noodles according to package directions.
- Once the timer goes off, let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes. Then do a quick release by moving the valve to 'Venting'. (If the sauce isn't thick enough, you can make a cornstarch slurry by mixing water and cornstarch in a small bowl and then pour into the pot. Cook on 'Saute' mode until the sauce thickens to the desired consistency.)
- Add sour cream to the pot and stir until combined. Stir in egg noodles and serve.
- Instant Pot Note: We use a 6-quart Instant Pot brand pressure cooker that we bought in 2016. Different or newer versions may be more sensitive to the “BURN” notice. If you are concerned about the burn notice, please refer to the Instant Pot webpage about Overheat Protection.
- The best tip I have for this recipe is to deglaze the Instant Pot after cooking the meat and vegetables. Deglazing is when you add a liquid (in this case, beef broth) to the pot and scrape the cooked bits of food off the bottom of the pot. This is a VERY important step because if you leave cooked bits of food at the bottom, it will create hot spots in your pot and your food won’t cook as evenly as it should. Your Instant Pot might even display the BURN notice. So, make sure you don’t skip deglazing!
Did you try this recipe?
Share It on Instagram!
Mention @favoritefamilyrecipes or tag #favoritefamilyrecipes!
hank you so much for sharing this amazing beef stroganoff recipe! Will surely have this again! It’s really easy to make and it tasted so delicious! Highly recommended!
This is the yummiest and easiest weeknight dinner ever! A family favorite!
Note to future cooks, use thyme leaves NOT ground thyme. I couldn’t understand why it was 1 tblsp of ground thyme until after I made it. I clicked on the link and only then realized my mistake. Too bad. 🙁
Beef stroganoff is totally my comfort food growing up. I didn’t realize that I could easily make this in an Instant Pot. I’m seriously starting to believe that anything can be made in an Instant Pot! Thank you for the deglazing tip. It really does make a difference and I was wondering why I was getting that “burn”. Love!
A perfect comfort food! It came out to tasty and tender, we enjoyed. Thank you so much for the easy to follow recipes.
Oh my goodness! This looks so yummy! I can’t wait to make this!