Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff is a comfort food staple that your whole family will love. Using your Instant Pot makes it easy to get fork-tender beef and a rich savory sauce in a fraction of the time.
Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
Beef Stroganoff, to me at least, is the perfect comfort food. With fork-tender beef, savory mushroom sauce, and the creamy but tangy addition of sour cream – I just can’t get enough! I’ve had great results cooking beef in the Instant Pot before, so I wanted to try this recipe. I am so happy with how it turned out!
Can I Cook the Egg Noodles in the Instant Pot?
When I was researching how to make Beef Stroganoff in the Instant Pot, I came across a lot of recipes that suggested cooking the egg noodles in the Instant Pot with the sauce. I have cooked noodles in the Instant Pot before and I have found that they come out a little on the soft side. My family prefers noodles more al dente, so I like to cook them separately. If you want to cook the noodles with the sauce, follow steps 1-8 below and then add the egg noodles to the pot. Set the Instant Pot to ‘Manual’ and cook on high for 5 minutes. Do a natural release for 5 minutes, and then a quick release. You shouldn’t have to follow the optional thickening instructions, since the pasta will release some starch into the sauce while cooking.
A Very Important Tip for Cooking Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
The best tip I have for this recipe is to deglaze the Instant Pot after cooking the meat and vegetables. Deglazing is when you add a liquid (in this case, beef broth) to the pot and scrape the cooked bits of food off the bottom of the pot. This is a VERY important step because if you leave cooked bits of food at the bottom, it will create hot spots in your pot and your food won’t cook as evenly as it should. Your Instant Pot might even display the BURN notice. So, make sure you don’t skip deglazing!
Other Instant Pot Recipes We Love
If you are wanting to use your Instant Pot more often (and you should!), try some of our other Instant Pot favorites!
How to Make Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds beef stew meat cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2-3 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1 cup mushrooms diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups beef broth
- 16 ounces egg noodles extra wide
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup water optional
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch optional
- Set Instant Pot to 'Saute' mode and add olive oil.
- Once oil is hot, add beef in a single layer to the Instant Pot. You may have to do multiple batches.
- Brown the beef on all sides. The beef does not have to be cooked through at this stage.
- Once the beef is brown on all sides, remove it from the pot and set aside.
- Add onions, mushrooms, and garlic to the pot and cook until tender. About 3-4 minutes.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, thyme, and flour to the pot. Stir until combined.
- Add beef broth to the pot. Stir to combine and make sure that you scrape up any bits that have cooked on to the bottom of the pot.
- Add the beef back into the pot and cover with the lid. Set the valve to 'Sealing' and cook on 'Manual' at high pressure for 10 minutes.
- While the beef is cooking, prepare the egg noodles according to package directions.
- Once the timer goes off, let the pressure naturally release for 10 minutes. Then do a quick release by moving the valve to 'Venting'.
- Add sour cream to the pot and stir until combined.
- OPTIONAL: If the sauce isn't thick enough, make a cornstarch slurry by mixing water and cornstarch in a small bowl and then pour into the pot. Cook on 'Saute' mode until the sauce thickens to the desired consistency.
- Stir in egg noodles and serve immediately.
- 6-Quart Instant Pot Pressure Cooker (See Instant Pot Note Below)