Instant Pot Chocolate Lava Cake is rich, gooey and done in 30 minutes! Perfect quick fix for when those chocolate cravings hit.
Instant Pot Chocolate Lava Cake
Instant Pot Chocolate Lava Cake comes together in just a few minutes, and made with simple ingredients. This is the best dessert to whip up when it’s late, you’re wandering around the house craving something sweet and a handful of chocolate chips from the pantry just isn’t going to cut it. It just as easily can be a centerpiece dessert after a special Valentine’s Day dinner. Super versatile, gooey, and so yummy, this is one of my favorite indulgent treats!
Tips for Instant Pot Desserts
- Dessert in the Instant Pot or a pressure cooker can be tricky. Trust me, this recipe came about after three failed attempts. With Instant Pot desserts you need to be fairly exact with your cooking times. You also need to consider that cooking times will be different at different elevations.
- When cooking dessert or anything in the Instant Pot, you need to make sure you have enough liquid. To make this easier, I like to place the steam rack in the instant pot first. Then, I like to add a couple cups of water to the bottom. Lastly, I place the dessert containers on the steam rack. This places the dessert cups up out of the water and makes them easier to remove from the Instant Pot when they are finished.
- Since this recipe makes 4 dessert cups, you will have to place 3 cups on the bottom and one cup over the top (as seen in the picture below). Don’t worry, they will all still cook perfectly, even if they are stacked!
- I cooked these Chocolate Lava Cakes for 8 minutes and did a quick release. I live at a fairly low altitude so this time was perfect for me. If you are at a higher elevation, you may want to add a minute to the cook time or allow to slow-release for a minute or two. Just don’t let it slow release for too long or it will over cook and the middle won’t be nice and gooey. You will also want to serve these within just a few minutes of being removed from the Instant Pot to get that perfect center.
Substitutions or Additions to this Recipe
- For this recipe I like to use dark chocolate because I think it makes it extra rich. You are adding sugar to the batter so it will still be plenty sweet. If you simply won’t use dark chocolate or if you don’t have it, you can also use semi-sweet.
- If you aren’t a fan of having fruit with chocolate, instead of adding raspberries, you can drizzle a little salted caramel or whipped cream to the top.
- This recipe uses VERY little flour. Only a quarter cup! That is great news for those who are wanting to make a gluten-free version. Just swap out the flour for your favorite GF flour and you are good to go! If you have a good GF flour, you won’t even be able to tell the difference because the flour amount is so small. Namaste flour from Costco works great or if you have a homemade flour blend that you like, that will work great too!
More Decadent Chocolate Desserts
- Ridiculously Delicious Chocolate Cake
- Slow Cooker Molten Chocolate and Caramel Cake
- Chocolate Fondue (only 2 ingredients)
- Chocolate Cherry Cake
- Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies
How to Make Instant Pot Lava Cake
- Place chocolate chips and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, remove from microwave and stir.
- Place back in the microwave for another 30 seconds and stir until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, flour, and vanilla together until smooth.
- Pour chocolate mixture into egg mixture and stir well to combine.
- Spray four 6-7-ounce ramekins with cooking spray.
- Fill each ramekin 2/3 of the way full with batter.
- Put steam rack in the bottom of the Instant Pot and add 2 cups of water.
- Place ramekins on the steam rack, placing 3 of the ramekins directly on the rack and one over the top and in the center of the 3 ramekins (as seen in photo above).
- Place lid on Instant Pot and place tab to "sealing". Manually set the time to 8 minutes on "high" pressure.
- Quick release the pressure and carefully remove ramekins from Instant Pot.
- Serve with ice cream and add mint leaves and raspberries for garnish.