This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Instant Pot Chocolate Lava Cake is rich, gooey and done in 30 minutes! Perfect quick fix for when those chocolate cravings hit.
Instant Pot Chocolate Lava Cake
Instant Pot Chocolate Lava Cake comes together in just a few minutes, and made with simple ingredients. This is the best dessert to whip up when it’s late, you’re wandering around the house craving something sweet and a handful of chocolate chips from the pantry just isn’t going to cut it. It just as easily can be a centerpiece dessert after a special Valentine’s Day dinner. Super versatile, gooey, and full of chocolate flavor, this is one of my favorite chocolate cake recipes!
And if you have a chocolate craving, we have dozens of decadent desserts to try! This Chocolate Lava Cake just happens to be one of our favorite things to bake right in the Instant pot. No need to heat up your ovens for this treat. It’s the perfect dessert for Valentine’s Day or any other special occasion!
What’s In Lava Cake?
Lava cake ingredients are actually very simple. Chances are, you probably have everything you need in your pantry right now! Here’s what you need:
- Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips – I like to use semi-sweet but you could add dark chocolate, milk chocolate or a combination of both.
- Unsalted butter- for the perfect consistency, you’ll melt the butter with your chocolate chips.
- Sugar – regular, granulated sugar for the recipe. You can dust some powder sugar or a dusting of cocoa powder on top if you like.
- Eggs – use both the egg yolks and the whites for this recipe.
- Vanilla – use good quality vanilla extract
Toppings for Chocolate Lava Cake
Once you have your cakes, you can top them any way you like!
- Spoon caramel sauce over the top
- Dust with cocoa powder or confectioners’ sugar
- Top with fresh berries and a dollop of whipped cream
- Add a big scoop of vanilla ice cream to the hot cake. It’ll melt nicely into the cake.
Getting The Right Consistency
Do you like your chocolate lava cake with more melted chocolate lava flow like chocolate cake batter or do you like your cake gooey, but a little more in tact? The center “lava” consistency depends on the amount of time it is cooked. In the picture above, I cooked the lava cake in the Instant Pot for 8 minutes. In the picture below I did 9 minutes with a 1 minute slow-release.
Tips for Instant Pot Dessert Recipes
- Dessert in the Instant Pot or a pressure cooker can be tricky. Trust me, this recipe came about after three failed attempts to pressure cook. With Instant Pot desserts you need to be fairly exact with your cooking times. You also need to consider that cooking times will be different at different elevations.
- When cooking dessert or anything in the Instant Pot, you need to make sure you have enough liquid. To make this easier, I like to place the steam rack in the instant pot first. Then, I like to add a couple cups of water to the bottom. Lastly, I place the dessert containers on the steam rack. This places the 6-ounce ramekins up out of the water and makes them easier to remove from the Instant Pot when they are finished.
- Since this molten lava cake recipe makes 4 dessert cups, you will have to place 3 cups on the bottom and one cup over the top (as seen in the picture below). Don’t worry, they will all still cook perfectly, even if they are stacked!
- I cooked these Chocolate Lava Cakes for 8 minutes and did a quick release. I live at a fairly low altitude so this time was perfect for me. If you are at a higher elevation, you may want to add a minute to the cook time or allow to slow-release for a minute or two. Just don’t let it slow release for too long or it will over cook and you won’t get that liquid chocolate center.
- Serve immediately!
Variations and Additions to this Recipe
- For this recipe I like to use dark chocolate because I think it makes it extra rich. You are adding sugar to the batter so it will still be plenty sweet. If you simply won’t use dark chocolate or if you don’t have it, you can also use semi-sweet.
- If you aren’t a fan of having fruit with chocolate, instead of adding raspberries, you can drizzle a little salted caramel or whipped cream to the top.
- We don’t drink coffee, but a little espresso powder in this recipe enhances the chocolate flavor and tastes absolutely delicious.
- If you’re a peanut butter fan, melt some in the microwave and drizzle on top of the chocolate lava cake.
- This recipe uses VERY little flour. Only a quarter cup! That is great news for those who are wanting to make a gluten-free version. Just swap out the flour for your favorite GF flour and you are good to go! If you have a good GF flour, you won’t even be able to tell the difference because the flour amount is so small. Namaste flour from Costco works great or if you have a homemade flour blend that you like, that will work great too!
Read Next: 27 BEST Instant Pot Recipes
More Decadent Chocolate Desserts
If chocolate is your love language, welcome to our blog! We are huge chocolate fans here too. Try one or all of these sinfully sweet and rich chocolate treats next time the craving hits.
Instant Pot Chocolate Lava Cake
- Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- Mixing Bowls
- Measuring Cups
- Place chocolate chips and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, remove from microwave and stir.
- Place back in the microwave for another 30 seconds and stir until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, flour, and vanilla together until smooth.
- Pour chocolate mixture into egg mixture and stir well to combine.
- Spray four 6-7-ounce ramekins with cooking spray. Fill each ramekin 2/3 of the way full with batter. Put steam rack in the bottom of the Instant Pot and add 1 cup of water. Place ramekins on the steam rack, placing 3 of the ramekins directly on the rack and one over the top and in the center of the 3 ramekins (as seen in photo above).
- Place lid on Instant Pot and place tab to "sealing". Manually set the time to 8 minutes on "high" pressure (see notes above for consistency times). Quick release the pressure and carefully remove ramekins from Instant Pot.Serve with ice cream and add mint leaves and raspberries for garnish.