This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Easy No Bake Cookies are a classic and come out perfect every time! Oats, cocoa, and peanut butter whip up easily and smoothly for the perfect after school snack or quick chocolate craving fix.
Easy No Bake Cookies
No Bake Cookies are such a yummy treat to make when you’re pressed for time or just want a little something sweet right now.
Our easy no bake cookies recipe is made with simple pantry ingredients, like creamy peanut butter and quick-cooking oats, and they come together in under 15 minutes.
My kids love them as an after-school snack with a tall glass of cold milk. My husband whips them up on a lazy weekend afternoon as we’re playing board games or watching movies.
And no bake means you don’t need to heat up the house with your oven. Just a little stove top stirring and you’re done!
When you need a sweet dessert but don’t have time to wait, try these chocolate no bake protein balls or no bake chocolate peanut butter birds nests too. You’ll have your chocolate cravings satisfied in no time!
Ingredients Needed for Easy No Bake Cookies
Chances are, you have every ingredient you need to whip up a batch of our no bake cookies right now! Here’s all you need:
- Butter – I like to use real butter, unsalted to cut down on sodium, but you can use margarine, coconut oil or whatever you have on hand.
- White Sugar – regular granulated sugar helps the cookies set up nicely
- Milk – skim, or whole milk work great as a dairy option!
- Cocoa powder – unsweetened powder or Dutch-press cocoa
- Vanilla extract – just a teaspoon vanilla extract adds a rich depth of flavor to the cookies
- Creamy Peanut Butter – For extra texture, you can try crunchy peanut butter too.
- Rolled oats – Use quick cooking oats or old fashioned
- Salt – a dash of regular or kosher salt will enhance the flavor of the chocolate mixture
How To Store No Bake Cookies
You can store no bake cookies at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container before they start losing quality.
No bake cookies do not NEED to be refrigerated but they can be if you prefer. Refrigerator space is sparse in my house so I like to just keep them on the counter in a large, airtight Tupperware.
To keep them from sticking together, place the cookies on a single layer in the container, then add a layer of wax or parchment paper over the top before adding the next layer of cookies.
Can You Freeze No Bake Cookies?
Yes, you can freeze no bake cookies! Just spoon out the mixture on a large prepared baking sheet with a cookie scoop and place the cookies in the freezer until frozen (1-2 hours).
Once frozen, place them in an airtight container or a Ziplock bag and freeze for up to 2 months. To thaw, just place cookies in a single layer on a pan at room temperature until thawed and ready to eat.
Are No Bake Cookies Gluten Free?
These easy no bake cookies are gluten-free as long as you use gluten-free oats.
Not ALL oats are GF so be SURE to check the packaging before preparing for someone who can’t have gluten.
Otherwise, all the other ingredients are gluten-free and you are good to go!
Tips for the Perfect No Bake Cookie
- When boiling the butter, sugar, milk, and cocoa you want to make sure to boil it long enough that the no bake cookies will set up properly, but not too long, or the cookies will turn out dry, hard, and crumbly. Follow the directions in the recipe card below for the perfect cooking times.
- Try to avoid switching out ingredients in our no-bake cookies. Many recipes can swap out sugar for sugar substitutes but these cookies need the real thing to cook up right. Everything in moderation, right? Enjoy a cookie and eat salad later.
- If you do want to add a little something extra, you could toss in chopped nuts, coconut, or even mini chocolate candies to give the no bake cookies an extra dimension.
- Old-fashioned oats or quick oats work well in this no-bake cookie recipe. So feel free to use whatever you have on hand.
- Store these cookies in an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to a week. They freeze beautifully for up to three months.
- Each no bake cookie should be about a tablespoon or so. You can use a regular spoon or a cookie scoop to make perfectly sized no bake oatmeal cookies
More Yummy Cookie Recipes
Whether you’re looking to whip up something quick and easy or want to wow guests with gorgeous treats, we have dozens of cookie recipes to choose from! Here are a few of our favorites:
- No Bake Avalanche Bark
- Five Minute Microwave Rice Krispie Treats
- Peanut Butter Cookies
- Monster Cookies
- Andes Mint Cookies
How to Make No Bake Cookies
No Bake Cookies
- Measure out rolled oats, peanut butter, and vanilla into a mixing bowl. Don’t mix.
- Mix butter, sugar, milk, and cocoa together in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Quickly stir in the rolled oats, peanut butter, and vanilla.
- Return the saucepan to the burner and, while stirring, cook on low for 1 more minute.
- Drop by spoonfulls or cookie scoop onto wax paper or aluminum foil as quickly as possible. Cool to set.