This One Pot Teriyaki Chicken Bowl recipe is the EASIEST week-night meal. You throw everything in one pot and let it simmer until finished!
One pot dinners are the best for busy weeknights or even slow weekend suppers. Try this One Pot Thai Pasta or Creamy One Pot Tortellini with Sausage. Easy, full of wholesome ingredients, and they make tasty leftovers too!
One Pot Teriyaki Chicken Bowl
Lately I’m completely obsessed with one pot meals. You literally make it all in one pot (or skillet). It’s the perfect meal for when you are in a pinch and don’t have a whole lot of time to make dinner. With three young kids who constantly need my attention, I find I have very little time to spend in the kitchen. This teriyaki chicken bowl recipe checks all the boxes for a healthy, delicious meal that can be on the table in no time. Just mix some chopped boneless skinless chicken breasts with rice and your favorite veggies in a large skillet and you’ll have rice bowls for the entire family to enjoy. This also works great as a meal prep recipe. Make a big batch one day and then store it in one-portion servings. If you need a quick meal just heat it up in the microwave.
Choosing the Rice
Not having to cook rice separately in the rice cooker or anything makes clean up so much easier. You throw the rice in uncooked and let it go. You will want to use long-grain white rice or jasmine rice. Calrose rice will get too sticky and brown rice will require longer cooking time. Some have asked if instant rice will work. Instant rice will throw off the cooking times as well. You will just want to adjust water and times according to the instant rice packaging. You can also try using cauliflower rice to keep this an even lower calorie meal. Or use a combination of long grain rice and cauliflower rice. The kids will never even know!
Variations to this Chicken Teriyaki Bowl Recipe
- Feel free to use the frozen stir-fry veggie mix or any other vegetables you would like in with the rice. The more veggies, the better!
- Add bell peppers, snow peas, shredded carrots, broccoli, green onion or cabbage, bok choy – anything you have in the fridge you can chop up and toss into the pan!
- I have also added crushed pineapple before and it is delicious.
- Add extra flavor to your rice bowl with grated ginger, black pepper, a dash of rice vinegar,
- Try other meats in your bowls! Feel free to use chicken thighs you grill up outside, beef, salmon, rotisserie chicken from the store, just about any protein you want.
- Dress up your teriyaki chicken bowl with garnishes like sesame seeds, a sprinkle of brown sugar, or diced green onion.
- The teriyaki sauce that we like to use is the “Mr. Yoshida’s” or Trader Joe’s “Island Soyaki” sauce but you can use whatever you have on hand, or homemade teriyaki sauce.
- I like to add a little extra regular soy sauce or low sodium soy sauce on at the end as well, with a nice swirl of Sriracha sauce (we seriously go through Sriracha at our house like some go through ketchup… even my KIDS ask for it)!
More Delicious One Pot Meals
Can’t get enough of the convenient cleanup of a one pot meal? Don’t worry. We have you covered.
- One Pot Creamy Garlic Noodles are quick and easy, and not nearly as cream-filled as you might think.
- Try this One Pot Jambalaya Pasta dinner that is even better than the Cheesecake Factory’s jambalaya.
- One Pot Thai Peanut Pasta cooks everything in a flavorful sauce with easy cleanup.
If you want more chicken recipes, we’ve made it easy for you and rounded up a few right here.
How to Make One Pot Teriyaki Chicken Bowls
One Pot Teriyaki Chicken Bowls
- In a large, deep skillet, cook chicken in 3 tablespoons teriyaki sauce on medium-high heat until just white on the outside (doesn't need to be cooked through).
- Add remaining ingredients, except broccoli and extra teriyaki sauce, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover with lid. Simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add broccoli, cover again, and simmer an additional 5 minutes or until rice is cooked through.
- Spoon extra teriyaki sauce, to taste, over the rice and serve immediately.