This Creamy One Pot Tortellini with Sausage is a delicious meal that whips up in less than 30 minutes. The seasonings in the sauce make it so flavorful!
This One Pot Tortellini is a great meal for when you are in a hurry and need to get dinner on the table quick! Especially this time of year when the kids are back in school, I find myself always falling back on these types of dishes. This cooks up in less than 30 minutes and has everything you need in one pot. If you love one-pot meals, try my other favorite one-pot meal: Teriyaki Chicken Bowls.
Pick any veggies
You can use just broccoli as the vegetable in this dish, or you can use a “garden mix” of veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots). We have also used squash, zucchini, onions and peppers. If you use onions and/or peppers, just saute them up with the sausage and add a little extra oil. SO YUMMY. We have done this and added a little Cajun seasoning and all I can say is, oh my!
Can I make this healthier?
You can be as creative as you need with this dish. I love the creaminess of the sauce. If you want to make it even cheesier, sprinkle some mozzarella over the top right before serving. If you are watching your calories, use fat-free cream cheese. There is so much flavor already in the dish, you will hardly be able to tell you used the fat free. And since you can load it up with different veggies, it’s a great way to get some of those vitamins and minerals into your kids’ bodies (and yours!) without really noticing.
What to serve on the side?
The pairing of soup with salad always seems to make sense. So if you’re looking for a great salad to put on the side of this delicious soup, try one of these:
- Nuts About Berries Salad is a fresh, colorful addition to any meal.
- Harvest Pear Salad has all the flavors of fall while staying on the lighter side health-wise.
- Mandarin Spinach Salad combines the sweet, softer texture of mandarin oranges, with the crunch of candied pecans.
How to Make Creamy One Pot Tortellini with Sausage
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 1 Lb. smoked sausage sliced (I used a tasty smoked chicken sausage from Costco)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 c. broccoli florets frozen broccoli works great
- 1/2 bag frozen tortellini appx 10oz.
- 1 petite diced tomatoes 14-15oz can (do not drain)
- 1 can tomato sauce 8 oz
- 1/2 c. chicken broth
- 1/2 Tbsp. basil
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/3 c. Parmesan cheese
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and saute until brown and slightly crispy on each side. Add garlic and saute another minute.
- Add broccoli, tortellini, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, basil and oregano.
- Bring to a simmer, cover, and simmer for appx. 7-8 minutes or until broccoli is cooked through.
- Add Parmesan cheese, cream cheese, and salt and pepper to taste, stir until well combined.
- When cream cheese has melted in, heat on LOW for another 3-5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.