This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This Pumpkin Mousse tastes just like a lighter pumpkin cheesecake. It is so creamy and full of all your favorite fall flavors!
This beautiful Pumpkin Mousse has all the delicious autumn flavors of a piece of pumpkin cheesecake but isn’t nearly as heavy.
It’s whipped and fluffy and will satisfy your sweet tooth after dinner without leaving you feeling overloaded. Pumpkin mousse is so simple to make too.
It’s easy to whip up for dinner guests, Thanksgiving company or just for a cozy night at home with your family.
Beautiful, tasty and easy: that’s MY kind of dessert!
How to Make Pumpkin Mousse
To make pumpkin mousse, you’ll need a few simple ingredients:
- cream cheese
- brown sugar
- pumpkin pie spice
- pumpkin puree
- heavy whipping cream
Start by mixing the cream cheese, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice. If you have time, soften the cream cheese beforehand. This will make your mousse even smoother.
Using an electric mixer, whip until the mixture is light and fluffy. Then, add the pumpkin puree. Stir until is is fully combined. In another bowl, make the whipped cream by whipping together the heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla. Whip until stiff peaks form.
Add about ¾ of the whipped cream to the pumpkin mixture. Save the last ¼ for topping the mousse cups. Spoon mousse into individual bowls and top with whipped cream. Then, add any desired garnishes. I like adding chocolate chips!
Perfect Pumpkin Mousse Toppings and Garnishes
- Start with a heaping scoop of whipped topping on top of your pumpkin mousse, then add:
- chocolate chips
- cinnamon sprinkle
- a drizzle of chocolate or salted caramel
- chopped candied cinnamon pecans
- butterscotch chips
- crumbled ginger snaps
Suggestions and Substitutions for this Pumpkin Mousse Recipe
- If you’re making pumpkin mousse along with a big meal, you can save time by making the base of the mixture ahead of time, and wait till just before serving to mix in the whipped topping.
- I love the fact that, unlike pumpkin pie or cheesecake, this dessert is gluten free! No crust makes it a very easy recipe to make for any of your GF guests.
- If you are looking to make it dairy free as well you can easily substitute the whipped topping for whipped coconut milk. All you need is a can of coconut milk, that has been refrigerated so it is nice and cold. Then whip the coconut milk with sugar and vanilla in the recipe until it becomes thick and stiff peaks form.
- For a lighter version, use light cream cheese instead of regular, and light whipped topping in place of heavy cream. If you are making it with coconut milk, you can also find light coconut milk.
More Pumpkin Desserts
If you love this pumpkin mousse, try our Pumpkin Cheesecake Trifle, Pumpkin Praline Cheesecake, our Pumpkin Eclair Cake. This time of year I am just craving pumpkin everything. If you are like me you will love our Pumpkin Pancake Recipe with Caramel Maple Syrup and Candied Pecans, Pumpkin Waffles, Pumpkin Drop Cookies, Pumpkin Pie Cobbler, and our tasty Pumpkin Steamers for breakfast and brunch. You can check out all our delicious pumpkin recipes HERE.
- Hand Mixer
- In a medium size bowl, whip together the cream cheese, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice until light and fluffy and completely blended.
- Add the pumpkin puree and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whip together the whipped topping ingredients until it becomes thick and stiff peaks form.
- Fold together about ¾ of the whipped topping with the pumpkin cheesecake mixture until completely mixed in.
- Spoon the mousse into individual cups. Use the remaining ¼ of the whipped topping to top the mousse. Then sprinkle on chocolate chips, cinnamon, or candied pecans.