This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
Enjoy your favorite summertime treat without a campfire! These s’mores cookies are packed with chocolate, marshmallows, and graham crackers.
Featured with this recipe
There’s something about gooey marshmallows, melty chocolate, and crispy graham crackers that taste like summertime. But instead of the hassle of a campfire, whip up a batch of these s’mores cookies and you’ll get to enjoy those classic flavors any time of the year.
Take your s’mores cookies to the next level! They are chocolate chip cookies elevated with chocolate chunks of your favorite Hershey’s chocolate bar, graham cracker crumbs, and fluffy marshmallows. A delicious treat for movie nights, game nights, or anytime your sweet tooth strikes.
Ingredients for Homemade S’mores Cookies
We took one of our favorite basic cookie recipes and packed it with classic s’mores ingredients. This s’mores cookie is overloaded with flavor using all the traditional cookie dough ingredients as well as s’mores ingredients. It makes for the perfect combination!
- Flour – You will need all-purpose flour and cake flour. You can find cake flour in the baking aisle at most grocery stores. The combination gives the cookies a lighter texture.
- Dry ingredients – Cornstarch, salt, and baking soda are all whisked in with the flour mixture.
- Butter – Use COLD, unsalted butter and cut it into cubes. If you prefer salted butter, use that too!
- Brown sugar – We like using dark brown sugar in this recipe, as it enhances the flavor and color of the cookies. But you can use light brown sugar if that’s what you have on hand.
- Granulated sugar – Mix together with the brown sugar making it extra sweet.
- Eggs – Mix one egg at a time at medium speed to help bind the cookie dough together.
- Pure vanilla extract – This gives the cookies a rich flavor!
- Mini marshmallows – If you can’t find the minis, you can cut larger marshmallows up into tiny pieces. The marshmallow gives the cookies that gooey marshmallow center.
- Hershey’s chocolate bars – You can use either a Hershey’s bar or chocolate chips for these smores cookies! The Hershey’s chocolate bar will be cut into small pieces and melted slightly as it is baking in the oven.
- Graham cracker crumbs – these will go on top of the cookies. You can mix the graham crackers into the cookie dough for a swirl effect instead of crumbling them on top.
- Sea salt – to sprinkle on the top of each cookie. This gives them a more gourmet taste that is to die for!
How to Make S’mores Cookies in the Oven
Don’t let this list of ingredients and step-by-step instructions scare you away from making the best s’mores cookies! It is simple to make and comes together quickly. Get out your stand mixer and let’s start baking!
- Dry ingredients – Combine flour, cornstarch, salt, and baking soda in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Whisk lightly until well-mixed. Set aside.
- Whisk – In a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, cream together cold butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until well combined and smooth.
- Blend – Add eggs one at a time and mix until smooth. Add vanilla and mix until combined.
- Combine – Switch to paddle attachment and mix in flour mixture until smooth.
- Fold – Add in chocolate chips, marshmallows, and about half of the Hershey’s bar broken into pieces. Gently combine by mixing together with a wooden spoon.
- Cookie scoop – Using an ICE CREAM scoop (not a cookie scoop), scoop cookies into large balls.
- Refrigerate – Place dough balls on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, or a silicone mat. Cover, and chill in the refrigerator.
- Graham cracker crumbles – While cookies are refrigerating, make your graham cracker crumble. Combine crushed graham crackers and melted butter in a small bowl. Mix until crumbly. Set aside.
- Bake – Bake in batches of 6 cookies. You can refrigerate them all on one baking sheet but don’t bake them all at once. Place cookies in the oven and bake until golden brown.
- Toppings – Remove from oven and quickly add graham cracker mixture, extra mini marshmallows, and extra chocolate bar pieces over the top. You may have to press them in a little bit, but try not to smash the cookies. Place back in the oven and bake another 5 to 6 minutes. Try not to over bake.
What Chocolate is Best?
Depending on what your favorite flavors are, you can use all kinds of chocolate. Semi-sweet chocolate chips milk chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips are both tasty options. This s’mores cookie recipe is filled with a sweet and savory flavor in every bite!
For these cookies, we like to stick with the classics and use chopped-up pieces of a Hershey’s bar. No matter what you choose, the chocolate will melt perfectly with the cookie ingredients and the marshmallows and will taste incredible!
Tips for Making Easy S’mores Cookies
Follow these helpful tips to make the best s’mores cookies! They are soft, chewy, and rich in flavor. These easy tips and suggestions will create the best cookies every time!
- Mixer – Because this is such a hearty cookie recipe with lots of ingredients, use a stand mixer or electric mixer instead of a hand mixer. And keep your paddle attachment handy because it’ll help get the ingredients perfectly incorporated with each other.
- Large cookies – This is a hearty cookie recipe with lots of yummy ingredients. So now’s the time to make them BIG! Use an ice cream scoop (rather than a cookie scoop) to make large cookie dough balls. They’ll be about 6-8 ounces each. Using a scoop ensures that all your cookies are the same size, and will bake more evenly in the oven.
- Topping – Top the unbaked cookie dough balls with small pieces of marshmallow and chocolate. That way you’ll be able to see the pieces after the cookies bake.
- Refrigerate – Chill the dough before baking. This helps to solidify the butter and keeps the cookies from spreading out too much or getting too flat while baking. If you don’t have room to put a baking sheet in your refrigerator, just portion out the balls and place them on a plate, then transfer them to a baking sheet after refrigerating.
- Preheat oven – Make sure to preheat the oven completely before sticking the baking sheet inside. This will guarantee a perfect golden brown color.
- Baking tips – To keep the cookies from sticking, use parchment paper on the baking sheet. Cool on a wire rack after baking.
“Perfect treat even when you can’t have a campfire. S’mores are a favorite in our house, so these didn’t last very long at all!”-Dana
A s’mores cookie is a traditional chocolate chip cookie dough recipe. Next marshmallows and graham cracker crumbs are then distributed on top and pressed into the cookies giving it a s’mores flavor in every bite.
S’mores are called “s’mores” because it is a contraction of the phrase “some more”. In the easily 1920s, the Campfire Marshmallows cookbook had a recipe for Graham Cracker Sandwich. This recipe was made just like a s’more in it. This was popular with both the girls and boy scouts.
S’mores were originally called Graham Cracker Sandwiches.
Storing the Best S’mores Cookies
Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. You can also freeze these cookies! They’ll stay nice and fresh in the freezer for up to a month.
More Fabulous Cookie Recipes
There’s something so special about baking a batch of your favorite cookies with your family. Cookies just make everything better, right? We have dozens of cookie recipes for any occasion. Pick your favorites and bake up a batch today!
How to Make S’mores Cookies
- Stand mixer
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cold butter cubed
- 1 cup dark brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 (4.4 ounce) Hershey's chocolate bar
- 5 graham cracker sheets
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine flours, cornstarch, salt, and baking soda. Whisk lightly until well mixed. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, cream together cold butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until well combined and smooth. About 3-4 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time and mix until smooth. Add vanilla and mix until combined.
- Switch to paddle attachment and mix in flour mixture until smooth.
- Add in chocolate chips, marshmallows, and about half of the Hershey's bar broken into pieces. Gently combine by mixing together with a wooden spoon.
- Using an ICE CREAM scoop (not a cookie scoop), scoop cookies into large balls (about 6-8 ounces each).
- Place dough balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, cover, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes (and up to 3 days). Note: If you don't have room to put a baking sheet in your refrigerator, just portion out the balls and place them on a plate, then transfer to baking sheet after refrigerating.
- While cookies are refrigerating, make your graham cracker crumble. Combine crushed graham crackers and melted butter in a small bowl. Mix until crumbly. Set aside.
- Heat oven to 425-degrees F. Bake in batches of 6 cookies (you can refrigerate them all on one baking sheet but don't bake them all at once). Place cookies in the oven and bake for 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from oven and quickly add graham cracker mixture, extra mini marshmallows (optional), extra chocolate bar pieces(optional) over the top. You may have to press them in a little bit, but try not to smash the cookies. Place back in the oven and bake another 5-6 minutes (do not over bake).
- Place cookies on a wire cooling rack and allow to cool at least 20 minutes before serving.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.