Enjoy your favorite summertime treat without a campfire! These s’mores cookies are packed with chocolate, marshmallows, and graham crackers.
There’s just something about gooey marshmallows, melty chocolate and crispy graham crackers that just taste like summertime. But instead of the hassle of a campfire, whip up a batch of these s’mores cookies and you’ll get to enjoy those classic flavors any time of the year. They’re like chocolate chip cookies elevated with chocolate chunks of your favorite Hershey’s chocolate bar, graham cracker crumbs and fluffy marshmallows. A delicious treat for movie nights, game nights or anytime your sweet tooth strikes.
What are S’mores?
“How can I have s’more of nothin’?” That’s a line from the classic movie, The Sandlot, where one of the characters has never heard of a s’more. If you’re unfamiliar with what a s’more is, allow me to explain via a quote from Hamilton “the ham” Porter from The Sandlot:
“First, you take the graham. You stick the chocolate on the graham. Then, you roast the mallow. When the mallow’s flaming, you stick it on the chocolate. Then, you cover it with the other end.”
That’s it! Such a fun treat to make when you’re sitting around a campfire, or inside a cozy cabin, or just outside with your backyard firepit. And what’s better than a s’mores treat? A s’more in a cookie!
Ingredients for S’mores Cookies
We took one of our favorite basic cookie recipes and packed it with classic s’mores ingredients. Here’s all you’ll need:
- Flour – you’ll need all purpose flour and cake flour. You can find cake flour in the baking aisle at most grocery stores. The combination gives the cookies a lighter texture.
- Cornstarch, salt, baking soda – whisk in with the flour mixture.
- Butter – Use COLD, unsalted butter and cut it into cubes. If you prefer salted butter, use that too!
- Brown sugar – We like using dark brown sugar in this recipe, as it enhances the flavor and color of the cookies. But you can use light brown sugar if that’s what you have on hand.
- Granulated sugar – mix together with the brown sugar
- Eggs – mix one egg at a time at medium speed
- Pure vanilla extract -this gives the cookies a rich flavor.
- Mini marshmallows – if you can’t find the minis, you can cut larger marshmallows up into tiny pieces.
- Hershey’s chocolate bars or chocolate chips- see below for ideas on what to use.
- Graham cracker crumbs – these will go on top of the cookies. You can mix the graham crackers into the cookie dough for a swirl effect instead of crumbling them on top.
- Sea salt – to sprinkle on the top of each cookie. This gives them a more gourmet taste that is to die for!
What Chocolate is Best?
Depending on what your favorite flavors are, you can use all kinds of chocolate. semi-sweet chocolate chips milk chocolate chips, or dark chocolate chips are both tasty options. But for these cookies, we like to stick with the classics and use chopped up pieces of a Hershey’s bar. No matter what you choose, the chocolate will melt perfectly in with the cookie ingredients and the marshmallows and will taste incredible!
Tips for Making S’mores Cookies
- Because this is such a hearty cookie recipe with lots of ingredients, use a stand mixer or electric mixer instead of a hand mixer. And keep your paddle attachment handy because it’ll help get the ingredients perfectly incorporated with each other.
- This is a hearty cookie recipe with lots of yummy ingredients. So now’s the time to make them BIG! Use an ice cream scoop (rather than a cookie scoop) to make large cookie dough balls. They’ll be about 6-8 ounces each. Using a scoop ensures that all your cookies are the same size, and will bake more evenly in the oven.
- Top the unbaked cookie dough balls with small pieces of marshmallow and chocolate. That way you’ll be able to see the pieces after the cookies bake.
- Chill the dough before baking. This helps to solidify the butter and keeps the cookies from spreading out too much or getting too flat while baking.
- Make sure to preheat the oven completely before sticking the baking sheet inside. This will guarantee a perfect golden brown color.
- To keep the cookies from sticking, use parchment paper on the baking sheet.
- Cool on a wire rack after baking.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
- You can also freeze these cookies! They’ll stay nice and fresh in the freezer for up to a month.
More Fabulous Cookie Recipes
There’s something so special about baking a batch of your favorite cookies with your favorite people. Cookies just make everything better, right? We have dozens of cookie recipes for any occasion. Pick your favorites and bake up a batch today!
- M&M Cookies
- Cadbury Egg Cookies
- Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies
- Homemade Oreo Cookies
- Reese’s Pieces Cookies
How to Make S’mores Cookies
- Stand mixer
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cold butter cubed
- 1 cup dark brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 Hershey's chocolate bar (4.4 ounce)
- 5 graham cracker sheets
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine flours, cornstarch, salt, and baking soda. Whisk lightly until well mixed. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, cream together cold butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until well combined and smooth. About 3-4 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time and mix until smooth. Add vanilla and mix until combined.
- Switch to paddle attachment and mix in flour mixture until smooth.
- Add in chocolate chips, marshmallows, and about half of the Hershey's bar broken into pieces. Gently combine by mixing together with a wooden spoon.
- Using an ICE CREAM scoop (not a cookie scoop), scoop cookies into large balls (about 6-8 ounces each).
- Place dough balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, cover, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes (and up to 3 days). Note: If you don't have room to put a baking sheet in your refrigerator, just portion out the balls and place them on a plate, then transfer to baking sheet after refrigerating.
- While cookies are refrigerating, make your graham cracker crumble. Combine crushed graham crackers and melted butter in a small bowl. Mix until crumbly. Set aside.
- Heat oven to 425-degrees F. Bake in batches of 6 cookies (you can refrigerate them all on one baking sheet but don't bake them all at once). Place cookies in the oven and bake for 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from oven and quickly add graham cracker mixture, extra mini marshmallows (optional), extra chocolate bar pieces(optional) over the top. You may have to press them in a little bit, but try not to smash the cookies. Place back in the oven and bake another 5-6 minutes (do not over bake).
- Place cookies on a wire cooling rack and allow to cool at least 20 minutes before serving.