These Cherry Vanilla Cookies are going to be your new go-to cookie recipe. I like these even better than Chocolate Chip! They are moist and chewy and they have the best flavor.
Confession time: I am actually a HUGE cookie snob! I will not eat any cookies unless they are homemade from our recipes. I like my cookies soft and chewy. I will not even look twice at a crunchy cookie. The secret to our cookies is the baking time. I bake them for about 9-11 minutes – just until the bottom is ever-so-slightly golden. Then I take them out and let them cook a little more on the pan on top of the stove. After they are cooled slightly, I put them on a wire rack to finish cooling to room temperature (okay maybe I eat a few while they are still warm and gooey 😉 ).
You can store them in an air-tight container on the counter OR you can freeze them! They keep in the freezer for weeks and you can pull them out whenever you need a little sweet treat (just let them thaw on the counter for a few minutes). You can also freeze the dough. When you want to bake it, just unwrap it and let it thaw on the counter for a few minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat the butter and sugars together in a large bowl or electric mixer.
- Add almond extract and eggs. Mix well.
- Gradually mix in flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir in vanilla chips and dried cherries.
- Roll dough into walnut-sized balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until just starting to lightly brown on top.
- Makes approximately 5 dozen cookies.