This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
This crisp Wedge Salad is a simple, yet classic, recipe we love. With only a few ingredients, it is easy to make and the presentation is lovely.
Featured With This Recipe
What is a Wedge Salad?
Wedge Salad is appropriately named because it is made from a wedge of iceberg lettuce. A cold, crisp, fresh head of iceberg lettuce is cut into four wedges. The wedges are typically topped with a few simple ingredients, usually bacon and tomatoes, and then dressed with bleu cheese dressing. It is a popular side dish at many restaurants, especially steakhouses. According to “A Wedge Salad History: Delicious Facts about Lettuce,” the first cookbook with a recipe for wedge salad was printed in 1916.
What is a Wedge Salad Made Of?
A wedge salad is made with iceberg lettuce and a variety of toppings. Here are some of the ingredients in a classic wedge salad:
- Iceberg lettuce
- Cheese – blue cheese crumbles and/or shredded cheddar cheese
- Dressing -Try it with our homemade blue cheese dressing or our homemade buttermilk ranch dressing and you won’t be sorry! Swap out the mayonnaise in either of these dressings with Greek yogurt for a lighter dressing.
- Fresh cracked black pepper (optional, for garnish)
- Chives or green onion (optional, for garnish)
How to Prepare the Iceberg Lettuce Wedges
Arguably, the best part of a wedge salad is the cold, crisp iceberg lettuce. Iceberg lettuce has thick leaves that are layered making it perfect for lettuce wraps, lettuce cups, and also wedge salads. For the perfect wedge salad, follow these important preparation steps:
- Cut the head of lettuce into four equal wedges. Place the core of the lettuce on a cutting board and slice the lettuce in half. Set each half of lettuce with the cut side down on the cutting board, then cut each half in half again.
- Clean the lettuce. Place the lettuce wedges in a bowl of cold water and rinse each piece thoroughly. Be sure to rinse between each leaf.
- Dry the lettuce. Allow the iceberg wedges to drain and dry on a clean dish towel or absorbent paper towel for about 30 minutes. If you won’t be preparing the salad right away, wrap the wedges in a damp paper towel, place them in a bowl, and keep them in the fridge until ready to use.
- Remove the core. Before preparing the salad, remove the core from the center of each wedge.
How to Prepare the Bacon
The fastest way to prepare the bacon for this recipe is to use precooked bacon. We cut it into bite size pieces and then crisp it and sweeten it a little by frying it in a small amount of maple syrup. Of course, starting with uncooked bacon is also an option. It can be cooked and fried in the same way. Another option is to use an air fryer to cook the bacon, once it’s cooked break it into bite size pieces for the salad.
What to Serve with Wedge Salad
Wedge salad can be served as an appetizer salad or as a side salad with just about any grilled protein. We love having it with a nice, juicy grille steak or grille chicken. It can also be served with grilled shrimp. Serve on individual plates or if serving for a large group, place several wedges on a large platter and allow guests to cut off the amount they would like.
Read More:35+ Best BBQ Side Dishes
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! All of the ingredients are safe to eat if you are on a Keto diet. This recipe recommends frying the bacon in a little maple syrup to sweeten and crisp the bacon. For a Keto-friendly version, eliminate the maple syrup and simply fry pre-cooked bacon until it is warmed and crispy.
Yes! None of the ingredients in this wedge salad contain gluten.
Definitely, Blue Cheese Dressing. They go together like peanut butter and jelly. The creamy, bold flavor of blue cheese dressing is the perfect pairing for this salad.
No problem! A wedge salad is also delicious with Ranch dressing, thousand island dressing, or balsamic vinaigrette.
Wedge salads are typically served with a few basic toppings, but don’t let that limit you! There are many delicious options for your wedge salad in addition to bacon, tomatoes, and bleu cheese dressing. Try chopped avocado, radishes, green onion, red onion, hard boiled eggs, olives, cucumbers, carrots, peppers, and any variety of tomato for some variety. Just be sure to chop or slice the toppings into small pieces.
It is perfectly OK to use a knife to cut this salad! Use a fork in one had to hold the wedge while you cut off a bite size piece with a knife. Then pick up the piece with your fork, dip it in the dressing, and enjoy!
More Side Salad Recipes
Side salads are healthy and refreshing, and complement just about any main dish, soup, or sandwich. Here are a few of our other favorites:
- Nuts About Berries Salad – Raspberries, Strawberries, Blackberries, and Blueberries tossed in a Spring Mix with feta cheese and candied pecans.
- Christmas Salad – Mandarin oranges and pomegranate seeds give this salad color and flavor. It’s delicious anytime of year, not just at Christmas.
- Chopped Broccoli Salad – This is the best way to eat broccoli! Sunflower seeds, bacon, dried cranberries, and a sweet dressing give this salad an incredible taste and crunch.
- Waldorf Salad – Crispy apples and grapes make this salad an absolute favorite. It’s easy to make and make ahead.
How to Make a Wedge Salad
- 1 head iceburg lettuce
- 6 slices thick cut bacon already cooked
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1 cup blue cheese dressing (recipe HERE)
- Cut the iceburg lettuce into 4 equal sections. Thoroughly wash between the lettuce then set on paper towels to dry.
- Cut the pre-cooked bacon into small pieces. Cook them in a small fry pan with the maple syrup for a couple of minutes, then set aside to cool.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in to halves.
- Assemble salads by putting a wedge on each plate. Drizzle with blue cheese dressing, then sprinkle on bacon, tomatoes, and blue cheese crumbles.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.
I had never made a wedge salad before but it was great and better than ordering at a restaurant! YUM!
This wedge salad is so delicious and easy to make. We love this salad and it’s perfect for lunch or as a side. I can’t wait to make this salad again soon!
One of my favorite salads! Your version is really amazing! Thank you!