Christmas Salad with Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing is a colorful and refreshing side dish for your special holiday dinners. The dressing is so creamy and delicious!
Christmas Salad with Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing
This Christmas Salad is a family staple every year around the holidays. The gorgeous greens sprinkled with red pomegranate seeds lends such a festive flair to our buffet table. The creamy poppy seed dressing is so delicious and is really simple to make. This salad is a light side that complements a traditionally heavy ham or turkey dinner. Plus, it jazzes up Thanksgiving leftovers like you wouldn’t believe! We add shredded turkey to the top and make it more of a main course. It’s so yummy. Try this recipe and make it a part of your holiday meal traditions!
Substitutions for Christmas Salad
The beauty of a salad recipe is literally anything goes! You can add or subtract as many ingredients as you wish. Use this recipe below as a base and then let your imagination run wild. Here are some ideas of how you can switch it up:
- Pomegranate seeds add such a delightfully tart crunch to this salad. But if pomegranates aren’t in season where you are, add strawberries or raspberries for pops of red color.
- Diced red or green apples will add more crunch, color and flavor!
- Turn this salad into a summer supper with sliced grilled chicken on top.
- Toss in a handful of baby spinach leaves for more greenery. Those extra vitamins can’t hurt, either!]
- Feta cheese gives this salad some bulk and a buttery, tangy flavor. But you could substitute it for goat cheese, cubed mozzarella or ricotta cheese.
- Slivered almonds, sunflower seeds or cashews would be a delicious substitute for walnuts or pecans. There are also some insanely delicious nut mixes found in the produce section of most grocery stores.
- The poppy seed dressing is so sweet and creamy, I could eat it with a spoon! My mom routinely substitutes the sugar with Splenda or other sugar substitutes, so you can do that too. Or add additional sugar for a little more sweetness.
More Mouthwatering Salad Recipes
Raise your hand if you’ve ever made a meal out of side salads. No? Just me? Try it sometime. We have so many gorgeous salad recipes. Try a few of our favorites:
- Nuts About Berries Salad
- Waldorf Salad
- Harvest Pear Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette Dressing
- Snickers Apple Salad
- Creamy Pea Salad with Bacon
How to Make Christmas Salad with Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing
For the salad:
- Place lettuce in a large bowl and top with remaining salad ingredients
For the Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing:
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk until smooth.
Poppy Seed Dressing adapted slightly from Betty Crocker