Christmas Salad with Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing is a colorful and refreshing side dish for your special holiday dinners. The dressing is so creamy and delicious!
Christmas Salad with Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing
This Christmas Salad is a family staple every year around the holidays. The gorgeous spinach salad greens sprinkled with red pomegranate seeds, mandarin oranges, white feta cheese, lends such a festive flair to our buffet table. The creamy poppy seed dressing is so delicious and is really simple to make. The holiday season can be filled with a lot of rich comfort food, so this light and fresh salad is a nice addition to the spread.
A Great Way to Use Leftovers
This salad is a light side that complements a traditionally heavy ham or turkey dinner. However, it also jazzes up Thanksgiving leftovers like you wouldn’t believe! We add shredded turkey to the top and make it more of a main course. It’s so yummy. Try this recipe and make it a part of your holiday meal traditions!
Substitutions for Christmas Salad
The beauty of a salad recipe is literally anything goes! You can add or subtract as many ingredients as you wish. Use this recipe below as a base and then let your imagination run wild. Here are some ideas of how you can switch it up:
- Pomegranate seeds add such a delightfully tart crunch to this Christmas Salad. But if pomegranates aren’t in season where you are, add strawberries or raspberries for pops of red color.
- Diced red or green apples will add more crunch, color and flavor!
- Turn this Christmas Salad into a summer supper with sliced grilled chicken on top.
- Toss in a handful of baby spinach leaves for more greenery. Those extra vitamins can’t hurt, either!]
- Feta cheese gives this salad some bulk and a buttery, tangy flavor. But you could substitute it for goat cheese, cubed mozzarella or ricotta cheese.
- Slivered almonds, sunflower seeds or cashews would be a delicious substitute for walnuts or pecans. There are also some insanely delicious nut mixes found in the produce section of most grocery stores.
Creamy Poppyseed Dressing
The poppy seed dressing is so sweet and creamy, I could eat it with a spoon! My mom routinely substitutes the sugar with Splenda or other sugar substitutes, so you can do that too. Or add additional sugar for a little more sweetness. The dressing includes mayonnaise and greek yogurt, but you can use greek yogurt for all of it if you’d like. Any way you make it, it is delicious on this Christmas Salad.
More Mouthwatering Salad Recipes
Raise your hand if you’ve ever made a meal out of side salads. No? Just me? Try it sometime. We have so many gorgeous salad recipes. If you are a fan of this Christmas Salad, try a few of our other favorites:
- Nuts About Berries Salad
- Waldorf Salad
- Harvest Pear Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette Dressing
- Snickers Apple Salad
- Creamy Pea Salad with Bacon
How to Make Christmas Salad with Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing
For the salad:
For the Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing:
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Whisk until smooth. Store in the fridge until ready to serve.
For the Salad
- Place the Spring Mix in a large bowl.
- Top with remaining ingredients.
- Toss and top with poppyseed dressing.
Poppy Seed Dressing adapted slightly from Betty Crocker