This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy.
The rich creaminess of Blue Cheese Dressing turns a simple salad into something elegant. This easy recipe makes a restaurant-quality dressing you are going to love.
What is Blue Cheese Dressing?
Blue Cheese Dressing is a creamy dressing made with a mayonnaise base and flavored with the bold taste of blue cheese. It is one of the most popular uses of blue cheese. Although it is white in color like Ranch dressing, it is definitely not the same flavor. It is unknown exactly where this dressing originated, but it started showing up in cookbooks in the early 1900’s. It’s also known as “Bleu” Cheese Dressing (spelled with the French spelling of blue) and Roquefort dressing. Roquefort is a type of blue cheese with an extra sharp flavor that is delicious in dressing.
When it comes to salad dressings, blue cheese is always a favorite. With this simple recipe, you can have it on hand anytime to use as a salad dressing, as a dip for Buffalo Wings and fresh veggies, or as a dressing on sandwiches and wraps.
Ingredients in Blue Cheese Dressing
Have you ever wondered what it was that makes blue cheese salad dressing so incredibly rich and creamy? Here are the ingredients that give it so much flavor and texture:
- Sour Cream
- Blue Cheese Crumbles
- White Vinegar
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Lemon Juice
- Salt and Pepper
How to Make Blue Cheese Dressing
All you need is a blender and a bowl – it’s that simple. All the ingredients are blended together with the exception of some reserved blue cheese crumbles. The crumbles are added at the end to give some texture to the dressing. Once everything is combined, the dressing is refrigerated for at least 3 hours. This gives the flavors a chance to blend and the dressing time to thicken to the right consistency before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, none of the ingredients in this recipe contain gluten.
Yes, it is a high-fat, low carb dressing. One serving of this dressing has only 1 gram of carbohydrates.
This dressing will last for up to a week in the refrigerator. Store it with a lid or covered in the fridge.
It does not freeze well. The ingredients will separate when thawing and it just doesn’t taste as good.
This depends on your taste. If you want a more mild blue cheese flavored dressing, choose crumbles that are more white. If you want stronger blue cheese flavor, choose a brand that has more blue in the crumbles. This will give the dressing more of that strong, sharp, blue cheese taste. (See this Cook’s Illustrated article, “Tasting Crumbled Blue Cheese“). For the boldest blue cheese flavor, use a wedge of Roquefort cheese and crumble it by hand. It takes a little more time, but the flavor is worth it!
Ways to Use Blue Cheese Dressing
- Salads: There is a reason blue cheese dressing is offered at most restaurants. It adds delicious flavor to any kind of salad, but it is the signature dressing for wedge salads and Cobb salads. It complements salads with steak and chicken, as well as salads with fruits, like grapes and strawberries.
- Dips: The cool, creamy consistency of blue cheese along with its tangy flavor makes it the ideal dipping sauce for Buffalo wings and hot wings. It offsets the heat just a little. So much flavor happens at once – it’s like a party in your mouth! It’s also the perfect dip for crunch veggies, like carrots, cucumbers, and celery.
- Sandwiches/Wraps: Add this dressing to sandwiches and wraps in place of mayonnaise. We love it on our Cobb Salad Sandwich!
More Homemade Salad Dressing Recipes
- Creamy Lemon Basil Dressing – You are going to love the fresh, creamy taste of this homemade salad dressing with fresh lemon and basil. The secret to this dressing is fresh basil.
- Strawberry Balsamic Dressing – A creamy, sweet dressing with a tangy kick made with only four ingredients! The very best dressing for salads or wraps.
- Classic Russian Dressing – This creamy, savory, mayonnaise-based dressing has a spicy kick. It is most well-known as a dressing on a Reuben or Corned Beef Sandwich.
- Homemade Ranch Dressing – If you are still buying ranch dressing from a bottle at the store, you have GOT to give this homemade ranch dressing recipe a try. See for yourself and compare.
How to Make Blue Cheese Dressing
Blue Cheese Dressing
- 1 cup Best Foods Mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles (reserve to stir in last)
- Combine everything but the ½ cup reserved blue cheese crumbles in a blender.
- Blend until thoroughly mixed and smooth.
- Pour dressing into a bowl and gently stir in the remaining blue cheese crumbles.
- Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight before serving.
Love this recipe?
We want to hear from you! Please leave a review.
Please accept my thanks for this recipe! The rich creaminess of this blue cheese dressing is only made better by the tangy taste of lime and vinegar. Definite keeper.
We love blue cheese dressing in our house, so we tried this recipe for our first BBQ of the season this weekend! 😀 LOVED the cool, creamy, tangy dressing! It worked deliciously as a dip as well! 🙂 Thank you so much for sharing.