Chicken Gyros are a lighter dish, but surprisingly filling! Tender chicken topped with tomatoes, lettuce, olives, Feta and a tangy Tzatziki sauce.
I love gyros. Traditionally they are made with lamb but I, myself, don’t know how to make the Greek-style lamb… so this a recipe for chicken gyros. This is a lighter dish, but surprisingly filling! If you don’t feel like grilling chicken skewers, just cook up the marinated chicken first and THEN cut into smaller pieces or slices. Any way you do the chicken it will turn out great.
Chicken Gyros with Tzatziki (Cucumber Sauce)
Ingredients (with Amazon Links)
- 4 slices of soft flatbread or pitas if you prefer
- 3/4 c. balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing
- 3 Tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice about 1/2 of a lemon
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- TZATZIKI SAUCE cucumber sauce:
- 1/2 c. seeded shredded cucumber
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 c. plain yogurt
- 1/4 c. sour cream
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 tsp. Montreal seasoning we just used the Montreal seasoning for chicken
- kosher salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- heart of romaine lettuce cut into slices
- red onion thinly sliced
- tomatoes sliced
- kalamata olives
- banana peppers pepperoncinis, sliced
- crumbled feta cheese
- In a small bowl mix all marinade ingredients. Cut up chicken into cubes (for skewering) and place in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour marinade over the chicken, seal, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- In the meantime, combine cucumber and kosher salt and let sit for a few minutes. In a medium bowl, mix the yogurt, sour cream, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, rice vinegar, and olive oil. Season with garlic, fresh dill, and Montreal seasoning. Squeeze the cucumber to remove any excess water; stir into sauce. Season to taste with kosher salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Skewer chicken (remember to soak your skewers if they are wooden) and place on grill over medium-high heat, turning 1/4 turn every couple minutes. When chicken is cooked through and juices run clear, remove from heat.
- Place flatbread on the grill, and cook for about 90 seconds, until warm, turning frequently to avoid burning. Arrange chicken (removed from the skewers of course), lettuce, onion, tomato, olives, and banana peppers on the flatbread. Top with tzatziki sauce and feta cheese.