This Chicken Gyro recipe combines tender chicken with tomatoes, lettuce, olives, Feta cheese and a tangy Tzatziki sauce. A lighter gyro that’s surprisingly filling!
Chicken Gyro with Tzatziki Sauce
This Chicken Gyro Recipe is one of my favorites to make when I’m in the mood for a light lunch. It’s healthy, vibrantly colored and surprisingly filling. Marinated chicken combined with all kinds of fresh ingredients and toppings and folded into warm pita or flatbread is a delicious alternative to boring sandwiches. My kids love to help make these gyros for dinner or a Saturday lunch. There’s something for everyone with this recipe. Try it and give your family a healthy, satisfying meal.
What is a Gyro?
This popular Mediterranean sandwich is traditionally made using lamb, beef or pork and then topped with tomatoes, onions and a yogurt-based dressing on pita or flatbread. Greek-American gyros are made from a large piece of seasoned minced lamb and beef, cooked on a rotisserie. I myself don’t know how to make the Greek-style lamb, so this is a recipe for chicken gyros. I skewered the marinated chicken and grilled them up on our outdoor grill, but you could just as easily cook the marinated chicken in a skillet or grill pan, then slice it up to assemble.
What is Tzatziki Sauce?
Basically, Tzatziki sauce is a yogurt based dressing flavored with fresh cucumbers. It’s seasoned with garlic, salt, olive oil, lemon juice, dill and sometimes mint or parsley. It makes a delicious dipping sauce for vegetables, chips, bread, just about anything! For this recipe I added some sour cream for extra creaminess and seasoning salt for an added kick. Just blend all the ingredients in a food processor, blender, or just with a whisk in a bowl. You will find yourself making this tasty dressing time and time again!
More Delicious Greek Style Recipes
Make some of these Greek style recipes and turn an ordinary night into a Mediterranean Feast!
How to Make a Chicken Gyro with Tzatziki Sauce
- 4 slices flatbread or pitas if you prefer
TZATZIKI (CUCUMBER) SAUCE:
- Mix all marinade ingredients in a small bowl.
- Cut up chicken into cubes (for skewering) and place in a large resealable plastic bag.
- Pour marinade over the chicken, seal, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- While chicken is marinating, combine cucumber and kosher salt and let sit for a few minutes.
- In a medium bowl, mix the yogurt, sour cream, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, rice vinegar, and olive oil.
- Season with garlic, fresh dill, and Montreal seasoning.
- Squeeze the cucumber to remove any excess water; stir into sauce.
- Season to taste with kosher salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Skewer chicken (remember to soak your skewers if they are wooden) and place on grill over medium-high heat, turning 1/4 turn every couple minutes. When chicken is cooked through and juices run clear, remove from heat.
- Place flatbread on the grill, and cook for about 90 seconds, until warm, turning frequently to avoid burning.
- Remove chicken from skewers. Arrange chicken, lettuce, onion, tomato, olives, and banana peppers on the flatbread.
- Top with tzatziki sauce and feta cheese.